CrazyBoards.org

Having a panic attack at work...not near meds :(

Distracting music played loudly with some deep breathing.  That's what I used this morning.  I was in the car in the parking garage, pretty hard to get out for some reason.  Anyway, if I'm at my desk, I use headphones and my phone or the computer to listen to music.  It works if I haven't let myself go to far.  Then I have to just abandon ship and go walk until I can breathe again.

Depends how bad you are though...once it gets really bad I can't fix it without more meds. I guess prevention is the key? I try to prevent by listening to calming music, mediation music and breathing exercises. Gods help me if it doesn't work too that I listen to one of those apps with all kinds of calming sounds--it has twinkle twinkle and other baby calming songs, like those wind up toys make--know what I mean? seriously that really does help! I did that Saturday night and wrapped up in my fuzzy blanket and felt alot better--didn't wake up crazy on Sunday morning, so that's good stuff!

I think deep breathing and getting away from your station might help.

In the future can you try and carry 1-2 meds on you? I used to do this in the peak of my anxiety. And I still do sometimes.

Definitely - I need to do this, I just went back to working outside the home and I didn't pack it the last few days. I thought about going home to get it during lunch (thank god i live close in a pinch) but I was too freaked out to drive. I want to go home. :( Just one more hour. I feel like I'm really losing it. I finally felt the other day by getting this job I was returning to a good feeling of normalcy then I got sick this weekend and BOOM something weird happened in my brain. :( I want to go home so bad. 

I think deep breathing and getting away from your station might help.

In the future can you try and carry 1-2 meds on you? I used to do this in the peak of my anxiety. And I still do sometimes.

Definitely - I need to do this, I just went back to working outside the home and I didn't pack it the last few days. I thought about going home to get it during lunch (thank god i live close in a pinch) but I was too freaked out to drive. I want to go home. :( Just one more hour. I feel like I'm really losing it. I finally felt the other day by getting this job I was returning to a good feeling of normalcy then I got sick this weekend and BOOM something weird happened in my brain. :( I want to go home so bad. 

You're nearly there.

Take some deep breaths. Keep telling yourself that you CAN do it, DAMMIT! You CAN do it. 

Do you have your own desk? Can you keep some pills locked in there?

I made it home, finally. The drive home was agonizing...I just kept repeating aloud it was going to be ok, etc. This has happened before and it was ok, its going to be ok again.

I haven't had an attack like this since...god i can't remember when. I had a long, deep hardcore depressive spell last over 18 months that still hasn't lifted yet, and I've had moments of anxiety but today was absolutely horrific. Everyone out to get me, me doing everything wrong. Nothing making sense. Literally - I couldn't make sense of very simple tasks. I didn't sleep at all last night and I'm afraid I won't tonight either. :( I'm scared of having another day like today but tomorrow. 

And I took my meds as soon as I got home and the anxiety still hasn't lifted - we just switched me back from Xanax onto Clonazapam because it feels like it lasts longer for me, but god it feels like it takes excruciatingly long to feel a difference. Prevention is key - I just forgot to take them yesterday because this illness I got saturday...it's like it made me completely stupid all of a sudden. I couldn't make sense of the simplest of operations. I need to see my doctor soon, he and I should probably talk about this sudden return to working outside the home. My new workplace doesn't know about my illnesses and I hate that this is happening so soon. I'm scared. Of failing again. :( I was just starting to feel so normal again. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to just keep the whole bottle of my benzo with me, but then I lost it and realized that was a bad idea.  Now, I keep a small bottle with me in my purse that I put any med I might need in it.  Rx and OTC.  It's pretty helpful.  It's harder if you just have a wallet, but even that should hold at least 4 pills.  I know in my case, it feels much better knowing that I'll always have my panic attack med with me if I need it.  Most people don't realize or care if you take a pill in front of them - and they certainly don't know what it's for.  That's why I don't fear having an attack in front of someone - I only need to appear calm enough to take my med and feel better.

If they're nosy, you just say you have a headache and leave it at that.  Then, if you can't hold it in you just, "have to go to bathroom".