CrazyBoards.org

Omeprazole (Prilosec)

So I started taking this medication (omeprazole) today to help with acid reflex.  (I took the first pill 1pm today)

Anyone here taking or took this medication?  If so, how did it work for you?  Did you get any side effects and if so what were they?  Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you for answering my questions.  I really appreciate it.

I've taken it daily for about 2 years now. It does initially take about 24 hours for it to go into full effect, but once it does, there is zero heartburn or acid or any kind of stomach issues. I've had no side effects that I'm aware of. Do remember to take it every day because if you miss a day, it takes the whole 24 hours to go back into effect. Try to take it at the same time every day. I love love love it.

I've taken it for years. I've had the same experience as AnnaBanana, zero heartburn and no side effects. It is great. I don't have it listed in my meds because I just put my crazy meds there, but I have taken it for years.

I should also add I was told to take it on an empty stomach and not eat for 1/2 hour after taking it. So that is the way I do it.

Edited by wadjet

Andy, I know it's an OTC med, but I just don't think that we can give out medical advice even on OTC meds. If you are concerned, consult your doctor. I will just say this: it would not be a problem for ME. As to whether it is advisable for you, I think you need to ask your doctor.

I've used Prilosec a couple of times, for a couple of weeks at a time.  It worked great for getting acid reflux under control.  No side effects that I can recall.  Your question about your sleep schedule would be better directed to a pharmacist.