CrazyBoards.org

I suppose one would say I have fluctuating mental health issues, I'm diagnosed with Schizoaffective Disorder and some other things, I can become delusional very quickly and have been hospitalised quite a few times in the last few years due to psychosis. I also live in a 27/4 supported living complex and receive 21 hours of support per week paid from the local social services budget. When I well I'm okay but when unwell I need to be hospitalised.

What I really want is to go travelling on my own, I've been twice a year with support staff and have paid for them to go with me which totals £650 a week and thats just for the staff hours minus the holiday costs and have been okay without any flare up of psychosis. I'm supported by benefits and a little inheritance off my late father but because of section 117 After Care I don't have to pay for staffing hours out my Disability Living Allowance so as you can guess I'm left with a healthy surplus of money. 

The problem is because I live in supported living the staff here are basically on minimum wage and don't go on holidays themselves because they can't afford it. And I'm galavanting around Europe while on benefits, from what I hear there is some jealousy and resentment from staff, you know the usual, 'he's on benefits' ect.

I want go to Indonesia for 28 days next year..... Should I just go and don't give a shit about the staff feelings and let them slag me off or just not tell anybody apart from the management at the complex? What would you do?

However, getting psychotic in Indonesia alone might not have fantastic outcomes that aren't terrifically expensive.

I'd encourage you to bring up your concern with your care team to see what you all can work out regarding understanding and agreements.

Alternately, you could hire someone privately through an agency or individually to go with you, though agency would probably be safer.

My care team are totally against me going apart from my social worker who was at first enthusiastic until I mentioned that I want to go alone, but at the end of the day they can't really stop me and with me now being on monthly intramuscular antipsychotics I feel fine and dandy. 

Edited by straightjacket

I am a direct support professional without a living wage or health insurance.  I haven't really considered being jealous of my clients, who get camp and vacations, because they are eligible for more support, but they need it to be well.  The support that they get doesn't lessen my quality of life.  I really feel it's incredibly uncouth for them to express jealousy to you and prefer you to live in poverty.  I really hope you don't go alone, though.  International travel can be dangerous even without serious health concerns.  

I am in the US, and live on piddly social security, so I don't have much money, but I always try and schedule some kind of travel. It really makes a difference mentally if I have something to look forward to.  Plus I invest time looking for good deals and last minute specials which is kind of exciting, too.

A concern I have is that you haven't traveled alone in who knows how long, and this trip will be for a long time.  Have you thought of making a shorter trip first?  I am the cautious type, so that's what I'd do.

I don't know what to tell you about the staff talking about you.  They may just be a gossipy bunch and are going to find fault no matter what you do.

I travelled around Europe with staff, just been to Greece with my sister in May for one week, I feel if I don't make past the equator before I'm 30 one of my biggest dreams would of died so to speak. I travelled around India for 8 and a half months on my own before my illness in 2006 so am accustomed to travelling  

Travel is amazing and if you have opportunities to do so (safely) then you should definitely take them as they may not happen in the future.

Also, try not to take on other people's jealousy. When you are old and reflecting on your life you want to be thinking about all the travel you did, not thinking about how you didn't make someone jealous.

If you know what I mean.

Go and do it for sure! BUT make sure you are covered well for medication and do your homework about where you can go if your medication is lost or god forbid stolen.

I speak from personal experience... I got delusional and psychotic in India! IT WAS HELL.... I looked up my meds on Wiki (at that time only anti-depressants) and took it to the local hospital.... they gave me something... but it wasn't what my head needed....

That said... enjoy!

No I haven't, I suppose if I was thinking about having a psychotic episode I would never get to travel. Also if I told a travel insurance agency I have SZA they would never insure me if anything bad were to happen, It cost me £471 for one week in Europe for basic insurance, they wouldn't touch me that amount of time I'm sure

I think I'm looking at the 28 days travelling is because I want to experience a lot and anything less I'll be cutting things out...

FWIW, I always think of the worst case scenario when traveling, what could happen, even though it might not.  That way I can go prepared for anything and not worry about it.

Do you have to tell the insurance people about having a MI?  Or only medical problems.  I wouldn't think you'd have disclose MI problems, but I could be wrong.

Travel can be amazing for those of us with MI. It gets us out of ourselves so to speak. I always have a great time when I travel (which won't be happening again anytime soon for me, unfortunately), but I'm always hit with a massive depression when I have to return home.

I agree that you need to work with your care team on this. Also, is it possible to go for a shorter time? 28 days is cutting it close with your antipsychotic. Maybe 21 days would be better in case your antipsychotic begins to lose its effectiveness when the time approaches for another injection? While travel is amazing, it can also be stressful and you are going to need your antipsychotic working maximally. I think it would be a good idea to have someone along with you to make sure you don't get sick, and can get you help or take you home if you do.