CrazyBoards.org

How To Deal With Effexor XR Side Effects

Just started taking Effexor XR 75 mg yesterday morning. The first day was a doozy. Nausea, mild headache, loss of appetite, zoned out, and fatigued but not able to sleep. When I finally did go to sleep, it was fitful and I tossed and turned all night, waking up before my alarm, yet still feeling tired. All day today it's the same: fatigued, with a boat load of nausea, and a dull ache in my head.

We only started the Effexor to help with my anxiety which seems to set me up to fail in every aspect of my life right now. I'm also Bipolar II but I'm pretty much never manic so I don't think my doctor was concerned about that when he started me on the meds.

I know I really have to wait it out with this medication. That people don't really see positive results for 4-8 weeks. And I can be patient, however I feel miserable with these side effects. The nausea is the worst and I don't know how to treat it. I know it's not actual upset stomach, so I can't take an antacid or eat soup and toast to help. I know its all brain activity setting off the nausea. So I don't know how to stop it.

Anyone who's taken Effexor XR know how long I should expect these side effects or how to cope with them? Also, has it helped you? I feel like people either love or hate it, and that it either changes their life for the better or turns them into a monster. I'd love some input.

I remember feeling car sick on it. I took it for about 9 months. It was fantastic in that it really helped my anxiety but I had other side effects that were awful and I ended up having to go off it. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it. You could try sipping ginger tea or chewing on ginger but I'd be asking your GP for some maxalon or something to help until it passes.