CrazyBoards.org

confusing dreams and reality

Has anyone had this problem? Last week I dreamed my dad bought cat litter, so while awake I went to change the box and there was no litter. Then, just now, my friend who lives with me was talking about how my neighbor took her trash to a business to throw away instead of paying her bill, but I said that I saw the trash people pick her trash up. He said I wasn't out there when the trash people came, that I was asleep. I must have dreamed that they picked up her trash.

Wtf is going on? I told my pdoc about this problem on Monday, but it was weird to have it happen again.

I do this all the time. I don't remember if I dreamed something or if it really happened. I live confused most of the time. I lie by saying, "was it you I told.." Or "did I tell you..." It's really about the dreams though. I don't remember who the fuck I told what or if it was all a dream. It fucks with my mind so much. I thought I was the only one who went through this. I'm sorry it's happening to you.

I have the same problem. I don't know if it's related to psychosis, but it can be embarrassing to have to ask people if such and such actually happened (or simply be told that it didn't).

Edited by Flash

I get this ALL the time. Mostly it makes things really uncomfortable. It something that I've always had to deal with but I have found that it is worse when I'm on effexor. The reason I came up with for that is that I remember my dreams a lot more when I'm on effexor. I don't have an explanation for it before that though, lol. I also try to get by with the whole " oh was it you I told this to?" Etc etc....

when it happens to me, it's always meds.  and yeah it's hella disturbing.  i've never taken topamax or clomipramine, but fwiw neither lamictal nor lithium came with this side effect.  does getting the dreams mixed up coincide with any med changes?

(ps not saying it's always the med's fault for everybody!  i'm sure there are different causes)

I developed this problem after going on Lamictil. It's really embarrassing, and sometimes infuriating. Infuriating when I'm so sure that I did something requiring a lot of time and effort only to realize that, nope. It was a dream. This happens with schoolwork sometimes. I've had to do homework at the last minute because I mixed up my dream homework and my real homework.

Edited by SoaringRaven

This happened to me a few times when I was a child (6 or 7 I think, maybe younger). When I was a teenager I had terribly disturbing nightmares that I just couldn't distinguish from reality. That was at the beginning of my first psychotic episode that lasted almost half a year. I still have very real dreams sometimes, but not to the point that I can't tell they are dreams, and I have very bizarre dreams all the time, so it's usually easy to tell.

I've always done this to an extent: Usually the type where you get up, start getting ready for work, and then the alarm goes off, and you have to start getting ready for work all over again.

But Trazadone made it so severe I was no longer sure what was real or what was a dream at all, I had to keep reality checking.