CrazyBoards.org

fell asleep during my exam today... three or four times

i had my first big test of the semester and i couldn't stay awake. i was so drowsy that i couldn't focus enough to colour in the lines of the scantron circles (multiple choice test sheets).

the worst part is that i actually managed to get myself to focus enough to do most of the readings (i haven't managed that in quite a long time). i didn't finish the readings or really study any but i felt infinitely more confident in this test than any i've done in several semesters. now i screwed it up. most of my answers were random because my main focus became remaining alert enough to physically pencil my answers in.

this is so depressing to me and i feel so stupid and hopeless concerning my academic future (and my life in general).

getting up in the mornings has to be the hardest daily feat for me. most days it feels so impossible and i work so hard to physically remove myself from the bed.

i don't know what to do. i came home from my test around 12 and passed out until 7:30 pm. i wasn't even intending to nap but i was too tired to sit up.

i'm so done with this. anyone else have issues like this? want to vent?

So sorry you are struggling. I noticed you are on Seroquel, what time do you take that? When I used to be on Seroquel I was drowsy all the time...even with my current cocktail I had to figure out the best times to take my meds that wouldn't leave me so drowsy and tired. Maybe you can explain your situation to the professor or disability services and see if there is a way to retake the test when you are more alert. Don't feel hopeless about your future. I am sure you are going to do great things. I am in college as well and have many days where I just want to give up, but persistence pays off. Are you full time or part time. I am part time to make things a tad bit easier on me. I try to make things as easy as possible but there is still work I have to get done, etc. Wishing you the best of luck.

Edited by Butterflykisses

thanks for the response, butterfly. if i can remember to take my seroquel on time, i take it around 9:30 pm. i don't often take it on time though and it definitely adds to my fatigue and difficulties with maintaining alertness. i definitely had these issues prior to taking seroquel but some days i think the seroquel just makes it worse.

i'm in the process of finding a new pdoc and have no gdoc atm so there's not much i can do. i might just stop taking the seroquel and see how i feel. the seroquel was originally introduced for nighttime insomnia (at night i feel exhausted but can't fall asleep which worsens my fatigue), either way i feel screwed.

i'm full-time now. i need the financial support (i don't buy all of my books and put that money toward meds). i can get full-time payments with part-time attendance if i claim major disability with the government loan program but i need an active pdoc for that (which i am still waiting on). part of me hates the idea of part-time status even though it's obvious i can't handle full-time because i feel like if i just keep trying my hardest and getting up every day that eventually my persistence will pay off and i will be a successful student. 

my last pdoc promoted this idea with me (my motivational and concentration issues as well as fatigue problems are my personal psychological issues to work through and i just need more exercise according to him).

thank you for your support.  :)

I agree with telling the disability services.  I've read that sometimes people get longer times to take exams, longer times to hand in things, etc.  They can also let your professor know of your disability, and that might help in situations like you posted about.

I can relate.  I go to school part time, don't work, because of my disabilities.  And I still have trouble completing assignments and doing all the reading. 

Recently, I have had trouble writing a paper that is now two weeks late.  And the prof says I will only receive half credit for it if I turn it in now.  So I'm even less motivated to do it. 

I tried talking to the prof about my inability to keep up with the scheduled work load at the beginning of the semester when I brought him my disability accomodation letter.  And I thought he was in agreement with making accomodations for me.  Then when I spoke to him about my difficulties with this paper, he said he would take a letter grade off for it being late, now it's only half creadit. 

I don't know what to do.  Our disabilities services cooridnator has been out of the office for weeks and won't return until mid semester.  She has always supported me, and I feel like I have lost my ally. 

Edited by lavender fairy

You might want to get a sleep study. I was sleeping all day and I got one done and it turned out I had sleep apnea. Fatigue and feeling not rested is a sign of something underlying.

i'll have to look into this. i'm not sure if it is covered by public insurance. i've told lots of doctors about my issues with fatigue and sleep and sleep apnea has never come up, though. i wonder why. i know that other symptoms for sleep apnea include excessive snoring and gasping while asleep, and i don't have any of those symptoms.

I agree with telling the disability services.  I've read that sometimes people get longer times to take exams, longer times to hand in things, etc.  They can also let your professor know of your disability, and that might help in situations like you posted about.

i am registered with disability services at school. while i don't get longer times to hand in things, i do get extra time for exams, as well as a quiet space with a few other students to write in (and access to a computer when needed). the professor knows i'm registered with the centre but does not know specifics (they aren't allowed to disclose my specific illness(es) and i prefer it that way).

i'm reluctant to raise an issue and ask to re-do the exam because i just cannot count on doing well or better the second time around. it would be fine if this was just a rare bad day but i have days like this too often to count on being better equipped for a re-write.

@lavender - is there only one disabilities coordinator at your school? i feel that's inappropriate and unfair to you.  -_- there should be better support than that and you should have an accommodations advisor on your side to deal with it.

@lavender - is there only one disabilities coordinator at your school? i feel that's inappropriate and unfair to you.  -_- there should be better support than that and you should have an accommodations advisor on your side to deal with it.

yeah, it's a small school.  Like, really small.  I think I could go to the dean as a back-up, but that seems really really scary. 

that really sucks. my school is a huge university so there are a lot of options where that's concerned. maybe you could make a post in the student's forum section to see if other students have advice concerning your situation? you shouldn't be having to deal with all this stress alone. 

Was just thinking, have you been tested for narcolepsy?  I have it and what you describe kind of sounds like it. 

Without meds, I constantly need a bed next to me.  I fall asleep wherever ... I never dropped down in public, but I think that is because I don't work etc and can pretty much sleep whenever I want to.  I was prescribed Provigil and that has really helped. Maybe you can look into something like that?

I still am tired a lot, but I think that is from other things like from doing too much in a day, being around people (exhausts me), etc.  But I don't need a bed next to me now.  I can function much better than I could before the Provigil.

i'm definitely going to bring it up with my new pdoc (whenever i see him/her... still waiting on a call). my biggest issue and the crux of my problem is constant serious fatigue. i'm too exhausted to do anything 24/7 but i do have a great deal of difficulty falling asleep at night. it takes me hours w/o meds and even with meds i don't fall asleep easily. however - in the morning and during the day - i struggle very hard to keep my eyes open and my brain from shutting down (and this is even with adequate medicated rest at night).

i don't ever fall 100% asleep in public. even when i'm utterly exhausted - i don't fall asleep instantaneously. although during the day i fall asleep a million times easier. i guess during the day i can say i feel incredibly drowsy whereas at night i feel fatigued but my brain doesn't shut off properly.  

getting up in the morning is so difficult. i set my alarm to go off every 10 minutes starting 6 am if i need to leave around 9 am. i'm so delirious during the day sometimes that i walk into things and my notes for morning classes (and by morning i mean 10:30 - 2:00 pm classes) are actual gibberish. so many typos and too incoherent to make sense of it all when i try to read them later on.

so when i mean by "fall asleep" i don't mean completely blacked out sleeping but i do mean in a sort of drunken state where i cannot lift my head or open my eyes. i find it very embarrassing when it happens in public. it seems to really happen often during class. 

does this sound similar to your issues?

I would like to chime in and if you havn't already get your thyroid checked. Pretty inexpensive test and can cause all kinds of terrible fatigue (Thyroid survivor here..) I also agree it could be narcolepsy or another sleep disorder :)

i've had complete blood testing done several times and nothing is ever amiss. my aunt has hypothyroidism and had to have her thyroid completely removed so its definitely something i want to monitor. thanks for the input.  :)