CrazyBoards.org

I basically have lost all sense of caring about anything.  I don't want to do anything, I just want to sleep, I don't want to go to work.  The thought of going to work makes me want to cry and I become a mess of anxiety.  My mom told me to find a different place to live last night because I just couldn't go to work so she was done with me.  Today, I broke down and told her i just don't know what to do anymore.  I don't care about changing my life.  I don't even fucking know where to begin changing it.  I went to the ER today with my mom and the mental health counselor did not admit me.  Apparently I am not that bad off and I just need to change my thinking.  Yeah well, I don't fucking know how to do that...  I've had this mindset for 10 years and I am not getting better with anything I am doing.  I don't want to die, but I feel like I don't have any options right now.  I am getting worse and worse.

I am very very overwhelmed right now.  I have all of these things I need to do but I don't have any idea what they are.  I am supposed to figure out my life, but I don't know what I need to do to do that.  It just feels like the next couple of days are going to be the hardest of my life.

I don't know how it is in the US but here in Australia the hospital will only admit someone who is psychotic or at a risk of harming themselves or others (as far as mental health goes). They're overloaded as it is, the rest of us just have to make do with paying big bucks and waiting months and months to see a pdoc and/or tdoc.

I'm sorry you don't feel as though you were listened to OR helped. It's very frustrating and hurtful when you're not. I don't really have anything constructive to say other than you should see a pdoc if you're not already and definitely tell them how you are feeling and to tell you that I listened and empathize.

I'm sorry. To be admitted, you have to be suicidal, a danger to others or "gravely disabled." You should call/e-mail your pdoc and tell him/her what is going on. They may be able to do a med change or get an earlier appointment for you.

When I'm suicidal, the hospital is usually the last place I want to go. Ditto when I thought I might be a danger to others, because I was terrified they wouldn't let me back out once I went in. I've been twice, but not willingly. Had family get me out before, but I don't have any family left. What happens then?

I feel for you Kate...I've been there too. Too sick to function,not sick enough for IP.

If you have a counselor/shrink you work with, they know how to play the system to get you in.

They know the wording that needs to be so you can get into a hospital.

Part of being there is good--it removes all stressors from your life and you get a temporary break. The bad part is you aren't going to get the mental help you're thinking of--all they do is get your meds stable and out you go... Sure you'll get some group therapy and different things to help temporarily but there has to be alot of follow-up...counseling continually, med management, etc.

I thought going IP would fix me, but it doesn't...it stabilizes you so you can go back to the outside world.

The one good thing they do though is help you create a safety-net of support people so when you get out, you'll have people to call and check on you and keep you on track.

Definitely talk to your counselor/shrink about going IP and they can help...just know how it all works before you go in....

They're not very forgiving in the ER. They see so much crap that as previously stated if you're not completely incapacitated or suicidal/homicidal they will not admit you. IP can be useful sometimes but other times it could also be a bore and just a place where they babysit you 24/7. At least in my experiences. I'm sorry you are feeling this way but you should definitely contact your pdoc and/or therapist and discuss matters with them.

In the ER, they rarely ever have anything kind to say.

So an update with this is I went to see my shrink on Friday and she basically told me to take a few weeks off work and get off the night shift which she believes is why my depression has gotten worse.  I ended up quitting my job because I can't work any other shift but overnights at this particular place.  My shrink also is referring me to a partial program/day treatment.  I went to a partial program last year, but because I was living on my own and needed money to survive, I had to work evenings while going to the hospital during the day and I got so overwhelmed with it all that I quit the program.  I am now living with my parents so I will be fine without work for a little while.

Last time I went to the ER there we're at least 5psych patients besides me. I assumed I would be the lone crazy person.

I had been in the psych hospital for 3 days and then got out. Two days later I felt suicidal again and went back to the psych hospital because I was still suicidal. They almost didn't admit me because I had a pdoc appt the next day. Finally got admitted

Yeah ER staff usually aren't very sensitive to people with MI issues, I've found. They can be rude and belittling.

But they don't admit people unless you are suicidal with an immediate plan or if you are so psychotic you are violent or something similar. So I'm not surprised that they didn't admit you.

I hope you find the help you need soon. Even if that means no IP stay. Personally I would avoid it like the plague. But that has just been my experience. I'm never going back again unless I'm physically forced. And IOP is mostly depressed and anxious people. The patients eyes get very wide when I admit to hearing voices. They really couldn't believe I wasn't depressed but psychotic instead. They just can't relate. I felt very out of place. But again, that's my experience. Which is always seems to be abnormal and not the norm. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck with everything! I'm glad you have your parents to help you during this time too. That's a life saver!

When you say IP, do you mean the mental hospital?

Not sure who the question is directed at, but I'll answer it for you ... yes, IP almost always (on CB) a psych hospital.  I've never seen it used in any other way actually.  I think people would write regular hospital if that, but otherwise IP means in-patient at the psych hospital. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry to hear that all of this is going on for you :( It is not nice being misunderstood and having your feelings invalidated :(

I don't have any useful advice, but I do have empathy and can tell you that your first posts sounds exactly where I am at in my head and life right now. It was kinda almost scary for me in a way as I was going to write a thread basically the same. I am wishing for things to get better for you soon.