CrazyBoards.org

My college flatmates suck

writehellarandomshiny

Not all of them. Just one in particular makes me slightly annoyed. 

Let's set the scene. I live on the floor in a dorm with 20 other women. I am the oldest by 5 years (that's what I get for waiting to go back to school!), but I still get along with them very well. There are just two things that annoy me... 

Rant Part One: Skipping Classes

There's just one thing I don't understand. 

The girls who intentionally skip class. I usually don't hang out with them, because when  I do, it demotivates me to go to class.  

One girl hasn't gone to any classes for a total of about 3 weeks combined - one week at the start of the semester, two weeks now. Another goes to only one class per day (and has more than one class per day, but at least she's going?) Still others skip when they just don't feel up too it.

Part of me understands. Part of me sympathizes. I know I bitch about not wanting to go to class often enough, but I go. Even when I don't want too. I've missed twice, once due to financial aid and once because I was sick with a doctor's excuse. 

I guess it's just frustrating to watch others pass despite doing minimal to no effort while putting in all of the effort in my classes. I realize they may have other issues, but if you live on campus and don't work I don't think it should be hard to commute to class... And it frustrates me that they sound like they *brag* about skipping class.

Rant Part Two: Noise 

Also, since I'm ranting about my college floormates anyway, the one other thing that makes me annoyed is one room. I don't know them well and never see them but will have to confront this issue eventually. At least once a day, for 20+ minutes, they have music blaring from their room. Their room is at the end of the hall. It's not bad music, at least. Just sometimes annoying. 

and yeah.

Seriously, I love them, even the girl who drives me nuts. But I just needed to let my frustration out in a safe space. I'm glad I live on campus even despite the people who drive me nuts, because 90% of the time, I can go back in my room. Damn, I am glad I got a single. 

Anyone else share the experience this? 

And yes. I know sometimes going to classes feels like this... (Had to share the picture)

76238c6686c57878774a56e304572202687888f9

Edited by writehellarandomshiny

When I was in grad school, I lived in an apartment near campus. The neighbor next door would blare his music literally at all hours, and the walls were thin. I can honestly say that all music is bad music when it is blaring at 2:00 in the morning and you are trying to sleep.

It's good you got to vent. I never understood the skipping of classes thing. I mean you are paying to be there and receive an education. Getting student loans means you have to pay them back. And if you aren't working then why aren't you at least going to class?

I'm wasn't the perfect class goer, but that's when the MI stuff really hit the fan. I was too sick to go.

Well, good work for you for taking classes seriously. And I'm so glad it sounds like you are doing well! It's not always easy living in dorms. I think having a single room is awesome. I wish I would have done that too.

If you live in a dorm, is there a resident advisor who you can contact about the noise issues?

I skipped class a lot in undergrad. You would have hated me.

But in grad schoolm I rarely skip, only when something serious is going on, like I am in the hospital, and when that happens, I let the prof know. I'm actually like 20 minutes early for every class. Which is astonishing for me. They are actually more strict about skipping class in my grad school than they were in undergrad. Maybe because the classes are all like 3 hours long. They can lower your grad for missing as few as 2 classes a semester.

I also skipped a lot of classes i n Undergrad, but it's up to them as young adults to decide whether to go or not.

I embraced all the noise and parties at University, if it was in my dorm block i would just join in, but if it's really bothering you maybe report it, especially if it's during the week when you have to get up for classes.

Just to clarify, I don't hate people who skip classes. I find it frustrating when they brag about it. 

The social work major is very class-heavy. Attendance is taken in a good portion of class and you fail for missing so many classes. So sometimes I wish I had the freedom to skip. Even though I know, intellectually, it's not a good idea. I might mention the noise thing if it continues.... they've been better this week. 

It's just weird because we never see the room two doors down from me - the people in it - but we can hear their music. 

Edited by writehellarandomshiny

My first semester in college, I lived with a nympho. I think it was basically just a very small town girl that will totally wild with her new found freedom, but I spent more time in the library than in my room. Not my choice, she always had a guy in there and I didn't care to watch them have sex. A girl across the hall had the same issue. The 2 nymphos got along fabulously, so we went to the RA and got a room switch. It was heaven. Me and my new roomie were way more compatible and the 2 nymphos could freak all they wanted to.

Honestly, 20 minutes of loud music during daylight hours is not that big of an imposition, and I would really hesitate to escalate the situation by approaching an RA. I know in my dorm, we would have been told to come back at 10pm, and if they were still making noise, something would be done. But they never were still making noise.

My lease also has "quiet hours," that start at 10pm. But before that, my neighbors and I play very loud music. And I am much more than 5 years older than the average undergraduate.

Sorry to suggest you would have hated me Write.  I guess I wanted to make a point that was more about me, which I will try to make now. 

When I went to undergrad, I was away from home for the first time, and home had been very difficult.  I had very little freedom at home, and took advantage of all the freedom I had at school.  That included staying out late, partying at all hours, drinking a lot, and skipping classes whenever I felt like it.  I had one prof who yelled at us for coming to an 8 am class late.  So, instead of trying to get there on time, I just stopped going.  As far as I know, attendance was not taken when I was in undergrad, and skiping class wasn't counted against us.  I wouldn't have done very well in your program. 

As far as going to your RA, crtclms has a point that it may not be taken seriously if it's before your dorm's "quiet hours."  I forgot about that.  I had a guy above me who blared his music, and going to the RA was never helpful.  Also had a friend who lived under someone who practiced clogging, which is louder than tap dancing, in her room at all hours!  Oh the joys of living with people!

Edited by lavender fairy

I can sympathize. Last year I was in a triple. I got along with one of my roommates, we didn't talk much because we were both busy and we honestly didn't have a lot in common, but we were always nice to each other and never had any problems. I knew she had super early classes, she would need to get up at 4 or 5 in the morning, and I had later classes and would not get home until much later. So we were sensitive to each other schedules, I would take showers at night and she would take showers in the morning. 

My other roommate however, I did not like. We never had any confrontations, but I just didn't like her. She was extremely inconsiderate of the other roommate and I. She had a strange sleep schedule and would have the TV BLASTING, most of the time, especially during the night. She would go into the bathroom and then spend the next 3 hours in there and warn anyone, which was frustrating when I was getting out the door for one of my classes and all I needed to do was to brush my teeth and she occupied the bathroom for the next 3 hours. (I bought a mini toothbrush at CVS and brushed my teeth at school. Yuck.) She never, ever, picked up after herself, and would leave things everywhere. We cleaned up after her all the time. 

She also seemed to stop going to classes. I would leave for class and 7 hours later she would be in the same position. She was a spoiled brat, and was could not do anything for herself. She would ask her parents for money all the time, didn't know how to do her laundry, and would take a cab everywhere instead of using the subway. Halfway through the second semester she just disappeared. A lot of her stuff was still there, but most of her essentials weren't. Maybe her parents got sick of paying 50,000 when she had completely stopped going to classes.

I'm going to apologize in advance to any of the members from the state of New Jersey, but she was from New Jersey, and she and her friends who came to visit her were the ultimate stereotype of the annoying trashy "Joisey" girls. Her friend did provide me with the wonderful wonderful gem one night while they were getting ready to get wasted. Her friend said she was a little hungry, my roommate said there was some food in the fridge that she could microwave if she wanted. Her friend looked disgusted and said "Oh no, I don't use microwaves, I think they're unhealthy." Two minutes later the same friend informed everyone that she was going out for a smoke.  :blink:

Sorry for the rant!