CrazyBoards.org

Staying in vs. going out

Do you do better mentally when you rest, or when you stay busy?

I spend a lot of my time home alone, and I get horribly depressed.  I feel better if I stay busy.

If I get out of the house and talk to people (though it sucks to do it), I always feel better afterward.

It kind of depends with me.  Right now I'm really not wanting any stimulus so I'm not getting out except to run easy errands.  I'm staying in and reading and watching tv/movies a lot.  I do realize that that's probably not the healthiest way to be, though, so I'll be mentioning it to my pdoc when I see him.

Do you do better mentally when you rest, or when you stay busy?

I spend a lot of my time home alone, and I get horribly depressed.  I feel better if I stay busy.

If I get out of the house and talk to people (though it sucks to do it), I always feel better afterward.

I do a lot better when I am resting at home.  I do like 1 or 2 days staying busy for a few hours outside of my home, but more than that it is hard to handle.

I do better mentally when I am alone or just with my bf around. I can stay busy at home. Social interaction isn't for me. 

I do love walking around the neighborhood and wandering by myself though. That keeps me busy but it doesn't mean I have to interact with others. 

I need a balance. If I stay in and am not busy, I sometimes start to get depressed. If I am out and busy, I'm usually better. However, if I'm too busy with stressful stuff then I start to break down.

Ideally, I like to get out of the house almost every day, visit friends regularly, have plenty to do, but don't have a lot of stressful tasks to do. That's when I feel my best.

I need a balance. If I stay in and am not busy, I sometimes start to get depressed. If I am out and busy, I'm usually better. However, if I'm too busy with stressful stuff then I start to break down.

Ideally, I like to get out of the house almost every day, visit friends regularly, have plenty to do, but don't have a lot of stressful tasks to do. That's when I feel my best.

yep that sounds about it.

I have to monitor my social energy carefully. I don't get any pleasure from interacting with other people. It doesn't fill me up the way it seems to do for some, or boost my mood or energy. It can be taxing and stressful. Having too many obligations triggers paranoia and anxiety. Sometimes, if I'm in a depression, too many social obligations can make me escapist or even suicidal.

On the other hand, if I'm home, I stay busy as much as possible. I have creative projects to do, or I spend time with family (still taxing, but at least they know now why I flake out, so it's easier to get a breather if I need it).

Edited by Mim

I would like to be more social, but my headaches are a pain in my ass. I do have some friends here, and I haven't seen my closest friend since January. We live 3 miles apart. I am having better days, perhaps I can pull something off soon.

I have to monitor my social energy carefully. I don't get any pleasure from interacting with other people. It doesn't fill me up the way it seems to do for some, or boost my mood or energy. It can be taxing and stressful. Having too many obligations triggers paranoia and anxiety.

^^ THIS.  For me too.

larali,

Congrats on your sobriety :)

PS Help - Can anyone tell me how to quote and respond to an individual post?

If you're on a desktop, the quote and multi-quote functions are at the bottom right of a post.

If you're on a mobile, you can tap a post and it will show a dropdown in the bottom right where you can quote a post (or edit, if it's your own).

Welcome to CB.

Edited by Mim