CrazyBoards.org

AUTOMATIC THOUGHTS & INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS

I am hoping people on here can relate and help explain a phenomenon I am experiencing.

I am diagnosed with a Psychotic Disorder NOS.  I have had 2 Psychotic episodes.  I am currently in remission.  I am experiencing no delusions and rarely hear voices.   My thought process is normal and organized.  I am coherent and lucid.

However, my question is this: Do you ever experience "automatic thoughts"?

This is my only way to explain them.

These are thoughts that enter into my consciouness when I am doing and thinking about other things.  For example, I might be concentrating on a baseball game, and then, without a filter, a bizarre thought, like someone's feet and a corresponding image of someone's feet will enter my brain.

It is not alway someone's feet.  It could be anything.  This is just one of the more outlandish and memorable examples I can think of.

I might be engaged in a conversation about politics, for example, and I might be consentrating, and then, BOOM, I get a thought and an image of a random group of puppies!   Why am I thinking about puppies?  I wasn't thinking about puppies!

Is this a psychotic phenomenon? I brought it up to my PDOC and he said it was relatively normal, that we all have wierd thoughts from time to time, and that it was more related to my ADD.  He said that my ADD brain lacks the same filter from others.

What do you think?

As I finish writing this, my brain started thinking about hockey and pictured a skater going by.  Random.  Why?

Yes, yes, yes!! It is one of my biggest struggles.... awful thoughts come into my mind and I have to fight to move on from them.... this is what I do...

I picture myself as a shell and pushing out of it and into the now whenever that happens.... like that is the old and this is the new.... and then I turn my mind onto something else..... they can be quite distressing for me..... I reckon you need to find a "trick" that works for you.... it takes practice and time and sometimes I get lost, but yeah...

Best x

I get things like what you describe.

Sometimes thoughts or voices in my head, not outside my head that I would hear with my ears, think or say completely random things. Sometimes conversations between many thoughts or voices in my head continue without my desire and I have no idea what is going to be thought or said by these voices.  It can make me laugh, but I can also get frustrated because I have no control over them. I recognize that they are thoughts, but I feel like they are not my thoughts, like I am taking them from someone else.

They seem to come in episodes for a month or two when they really get going, and then I am fine for a few months.  

Other than being annoying and a little confusing to me, they are harmless to me at the moment.  It may progress into something else, however. I do try to keep a log of when they occur, and what happened during the day. Maybe you can find that helpful to discover a trigger.

Yes, yes, yes!! It is one of my biggest struggles.... awful thoughts come into my mind and I have to fight to move on from them.... this is what I do...

I picture myself as a shell and pushing out of it and into the now whenever that happens.... like that is the old and this is the new.... and then I turn my mind onto something else..... they can be quite distressing for me..... I reckon you need to find a "trick" that works for you.... it takes practice and time and sometimes I get lost, but yeah...

Best x

I get exactly the same thing, and pretty much all my "intrusive" thoughts are negative: sexual or aggressive. Quite disturbing, and makes me very uncomfortable, especially since I feel like other people can "read" or "feel" these thoughts. 

What you describe, I believe, is "thought stopping," which I've also learned to do, although it's quite overwhelming to have to do this all day (which is why I prefer to stay at home most of the time). When I was "stable" I didn't have this, and this also comes with other oppressive symptoms, like everything feeling brighter to my vision, and feeling like I'm being oppressed from all sides (surroundings and people flooding my brain).