CrazyBoards.org

What Over The Counter Pain Relievers Can Be Taken With SSRI & SNRI?

These headaches from Effexor are killing me. They're practically migraines. I know you're not supposed to take a lot of regular pain killers with anti-depressants as it increases the risk of bleeding but I'm dying here! I'm currently at work and struggling to get through my shift and my psychiatrists office is closed for the day. Any one know any headache meds that are ok with antidepressants?

I take acetaminophen. I was never told to avoid any painkillers, although my doctor knows I have a reaction to aspirin (I go deaf for a few hours) so maybe he just didn't tell me not to take it because I can't take it anyway. 

Edited by Skog

I take acetaminophen. I was never told to avoid any painkillers, although my doctor knows I have a reaction to aspirin (I go deaf for a few hours) so maybe he just didn't tell me not to take it because I can't take it anyway. 

(in bold) Me either.  I've taken everything (excedrin, tylenol, Aleve, etc) including prescribed narcotics at times, and have never had a problem with any of them.

I've read this, and when I was first starting SSRIs I was concerned, but when I asked my own prescribing doc about it I was told it's okay to take pain relievers for headache or whatever.

I advise calling your pharmacist though.

Ok so update for everyone. I went to a local pharmacist and she told me Tylenol was okay. So I took some and was better in about 45 mins. Thank goodness! Thanks for the input. I just didn't want to cause more issues for myself.