CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Phoenix_Rising

Hearing Nonexistent Radio

Do you ever hear a radio when there's no radio on?  Lately, I have been hearing what sounds like a radio playing.  I hear music that isn't there.

This has happened off and on for years, but just recently started again after a long absence.  Other than hearing a radio, I am not symptomatic at this time.  I have an appointment with pdoc next week, but I'm curious about the radio sounds.

can you make out specific songs, speech, etc or just background noise?  If the latter, it could be tinnitus which can become more common with aging. 

It's happened to me before. 

I've heard that on occasion people can blend background noises and it kinda sounds like someone talking, or music. I sadly cannot provide a source. I was looking this up because it was happening to me for a bit. Might not have even been a credible source. But I don't think it had to do with the crazy, what I read. Just, yeah, brain blends all these noises, somehow they turn into something that makes sense.

That's if you're not prone to hallucinations.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

This is a one of the more common auditory hallucinations for me. It can be instrumental or it can have lyrics. I wrote some down once, thinking it couldn't possibly be a real song. Apparently I was wrong. And totally not the kind of music I listen to. Often times the radio would be between stations or not completely tuned in. Other times the station just kept changing on me. This is one of the hallucinations that drives me bonkers, though, because I'm always trying to locate the source. Most often it's coming from my speakers when the stereo is off or coming from outside somewhere. I had it happen while walking down the street once. I was scanning everywhere, looking for the person with their iPod turned up too loud. Nope. Just whistling in the the wind, I guess. It got really bad while I was on Lexapro,but has thankfully subsided now that it is outta my cocktail.

It's happened to me before. 

I've heard that on occasion people can blend background noises and it kinda sounds like someone talking, or music. I sadly cannot provide a source. I was looking this up because it was happening to me for a bit. Might not have even been a credible source. But I don't think it had to do with the crazy, what I read. Just, yeah, brain blends all these noises, somehow they turn into something that makes sense.

That's if you're not prone to hallucinations.

Anyone else ever heard of this?

I've had that happen as well. I had this jangling noise hallucination (or so I thought) that was driving me nuts. Turns out it was caused by my stopped up sinuses (breathing) interacting with other noises, like an air conditioner or whoosh of car going by. It stopped a week or two after I discovered the cause, oddly. Maybe my breathing improved? I dunno, but glad it's gone.

This happens to me, but it's not music. It's like two people talking, a man and a woman, and it is impossible to make out what they are saying because it's like a radio on very low volume. It happens at night when everything is quiet. Honestly, I think it's somewhat normal. My dad hears it occasionally and my mom also did. They used to say that it's ghosts. Whatever ....

This happens to me but what I hear has voices in it.  I call them "echobands," because the music is echoed (that is how I hear it).  Actually that name came from the voices ... they told me what they were when I first started hearing them. 

And when I hear them, it is always a line repeated and repeated over and over again until I get distracted and another one comes along.  I rarely hear nothing/have peace and quiet.  It is always echoes.  If I keep the TV on loud enough though I can't hear them.

I hear my girl cry mommy when she is not here, I hear music sometimes where there is none. I think I am blending sounds. There are sounds all around me and sometimes when I am tired they blend together with stuff in my head and I hear things that are not there.

This also happens with visual stuff as well. I might see my cat but it is really just a piece of wood.

This also happens with visual stuff as well. I might see my cat but it is really just a piece of wood.

Oh this happens to me a lot too.  I think (?) it is normal.

Oh this happens to me a lot too.  I think (?) it is normal. You mean with the lights out?

I also see things that aren't there.  I've always thought that a certain amount of visual and auditory "stuff" was "normal".  But the radio thing has gotten more prominent over the years.  I've actually gone looking for the radio.

I never considered that they were hallucinations in the past, just my 'mind playing tricks on me' or something like that. Is that not the definition of a hallucination? Anyway, the visual stuff is always from 'artifacts.' I don't actually see things that aren't there, other than the sparkly stuff that goes away after a while. The auditory stuff is a completely different story. There is no question that they are 'real.' Fake. Real. Whatever, you know what I mean.

I never considered that they were hallucinations in the past, just my 'mind playing tricks on me' or something like that. Is that not the definition of a hallucination? Anyway, the visual stuff is always from 'artifacts.' I don't actually see things that aren't there, other than the sparkly stuff that goes away after a while. The auditory stuff is a completely different story. There is no question that they are 'real.' Fake. Real. Whatever, you know what I mean.

I also think it could be a hallucination.  Maybe if it only happened one or 2 times it wouldn't necessarily be one, but if happening repeatedly it might be a hallucination.

I also think it could be a hallucination.  Maybe if it only happened one or 2 times it wouldn't necessarily be one, but if happening repeatedly it might be a hallucination. I dunno. I suppose the sparkly stuff could be the visual equivalent of noise, but I "see" that under only certain conditions. The audio hallucinations can happen anytime, anyplace, but usually it's at home when it's dark out. The other visual "hallucinations" always seem to occur in low light conditions. I think it's my mind trying to make out an object as best it can, and sometimes it goofs. In any case, in order for my visual hallucinations to be like my auditory ones, I'd have to be seeing picture-perfect unicorns and dragons and the such. That most certainly does not happen.

I hear music in white noise, but I thought that was just normal "brain trying to find categories, impose order."

I hear music like people singing too sometimes. Sometimes it's chatter. And sometimes it's actually loud and telling me to do things or telling me to fear things. Lately it's been making me paranoid about certain people or things. Like at my sleep study last night I was nearly in tears because I kept hearing that the tech was trying to read and record my thoughts with all those crazy wires she was connecting to me. Luckily I kept my cool.

But I agree to bring it up with your pdoc.

I've had that before. I've talked about it here before.

I had it first when I was 6...

It returned in 2008 and my head was playing theme songs from sitcoms 30 years ago.  Then my brain was improvising at the end, or making this sort of splashy jazz music...

So I thought "Hey, my brain's doing this stuff. I should try directing it."

So, yup, directed my auditory hallucinations. 

I do have tinnitus, at a somewhat-annoying and constant level, but tinnitus does not play this, ok? My head was reproducing it perfectly. These do seem to be linked to stress for me, and they typically happen, if they happen, generally upon waking up. I've had occasional bits of it, every now and again.

The only one that can happen any time and the most annoying one?

I answer my phone when it is not actually ringing. Hate it.

Usually happens when driving, too, the vibration of the car makes it hard to tell if my phone's vibrating or not.

I changed my ringtone to one my head doesn't readily play for me, this helps. 

...One time I heard the call-sign for my head-radio as it went off-air for the day, in 4 part harmony, no less:

K-L-S-D!   

:25r30wi: 

No, I swear I am not making this shit up.

One time last winter, me and my mate had gone to bed around 8pm. We had been watching something beforehand. I could not get to sleep because I kept hearing jazz music. My position in the bed was oriented with my right side facing the door that leads out to the living room. I got up to check if the TV was still on or if the neighbors were playing music. Dead silence. I went back to bed and kept hearing jazz music in my right ear. I turned over and put my right ear to the pillow. Silence. I turned on my back and heard jazz music again. I turned on my left side, and still heard jazz music. It was driving me craZy (although it was some really good jazz music and if I hadn't been so puzzled I would have probably enjoyed it more). Finally I turned over to put my right ear back on the pillow to silence the music so I could go to sleep. Hasn't happened since then.