CrazyBoards.org

"wall" during social interactions

I don't know if I'm understanding this right, but I sometimes have a feeling that I'm blocked off from other people. I think mine is a DPD thing though. I feel invisible, like I'm not sure if I'm here or talking, or it's all just going on inside my head. I'm not sure if they actually see or hear me, sometimes.

that's kinda what it's like when i'm dissociated and trying to get back "into" the situation - there's like a wall there that prevents me from really hearing or seeing what's happening.  i'm not sure if that's what you mean?

Yeah, I can only do so much interacting before my senses are on overload.  I usually just excuse myself from the conversation and go off to regroup.  If you would rather stay and try to stop dissociating, I would recommend trying to be mindful using your other senses.  I know its difficult to do, but try to grab hold of something outside yourself.  It will take practice.  I also use a mantra when I'm trying to stay present.  A lot of times, its as simple as "Everything is OK".  

That's totally what I mean. I think I dissociate during conversations. Especially when I've had too much social interaction. My brain shuts off. 

Too much social interaction "shuts me off," too. Anything that makes me anxious, and anything that sends me into "sensory overload." 

Do you know why you would do that? Is it because of anxiety, or something else? If you know why, it can help to start watching for those situations so you can know when you need to be particularly careful to be mindful, if that makes sense.