CrazyBoards.org

refusing med rxs because you're afraid of looking like a junkie

i went to the urgency walk-in-clinic at my school today and the doctor ended up giving me anesthetic and (TMI !!!) removing all of my big toenail/draining the pus. afterward, he told me he was going to write me a prescription for morphine and i panicked and told him i didn't need any painkillers and that i would be okay. he seemed hesitant and told me i might have quite a bit of pain for a little while and he advised me to take it and i said no and he told me to take ibuprofen as needed instead.

the reason i said no is because i feel anxious/paranoid about looking like an addict or drug seeking if a future doctor sees i've taken any "addictive" meds in my medical file and will be reluctant to give me new psych meds in the future that might really be necessary.

i don't think my situation right now is too serious. i mean, i am in some pain but its not excruciating and i can deal with it. but this is not the first time this has happened and i hate myself for giving into those worries that end up feeding into my anxiety and not being able to assert myself and accept what i'm prescribed by a qualified md. it's not like i asked for a morphine rx or any kind of painkiller rx at all.

i feel really stupid after doing these things and i feel like i'm always causing pointless problems for myself.

anyone else do things like this or can relate or want to share?

I think that your worries are somewhat justified because I get funny looks whenever I fill my Ritalin prescription. I am now getting it filled at CVS and they've been much more professional about it, but the biggest big box store made me feel like a drug seeker every time I went to fill the prescription including actually counting the days since I last filled the prescription. I take 3 x 10 mg tablets a day, and they would always make an issue that they might not have that many (I know there is always a shortage, but I don't think I'm on an inordinately high dose).

However, I don't think the appearance of morphine on your medical record would give you problems in the future especially if it is a short course and you took it as prescribed and didn't abuse it. It might even demonstrate that you are trustworthy with controlled substances and be a plus for you.

I was sent to the ER to get medical clearance before being admitted to Psych hospital. I take. Norco for my shoulder after having a rotator tendon repair. Y disclosed this to both. The Er doc didn't say a word about it when I had a urine test.

At the Psych hospital I had a medical doc who gave it to me. No questions asked.

I realize that Norco is not the same as Morphine but I don't think anyone would question it. Also you probably wouldn't have to take it for long.

I think that your worries are somewhat justified because I get funny looks whenever I fill my Ritalin prescription. I am now getting it filled at CVS and they've been much more professional about it, but the biggest big box store made me feel like a drug seeker every time I went to fill the prescription including actually counting the days since I last filled the prescription. I take 3 x 10 mg tablets a day, and they would always make an issue that they might not have that many (I know there is always a shortage, but I don't think I'm on an inordinately high dose).

However, I don't think the appearance of morphine on your medical record would give you problems in the future especially if it is a short course and you took it as prescribed and didn't abuse it. It might even demonstrate that you are trustworthy with controlled substances and be a plus for you.

@jt

i think that part of the anxiety stems from the overall sense of distrust and condescension i feel from a lot of people about MI people taking meds or certain kind of meds or being on multiple meds for a long time. i know some doctors are more liberal and others are very distrusting when it comes to prescribing meds. my last psychiatrist didn't want to drop/change/try anything new even though i was struggling and my current meds weren't working. and i never asked for a med ever but even bringing up the subject of dropping one made me feel really self-conscious and it was part of the reason i stopped seeing him.

but i know that things like this are not that big of a deal on my medical record like you said. still i let panic overcome me and feel stupid afterwards.

@savannah

thank you for sharing.

I understand your fears, but I took Vicodin after a dental procedure and have not had problems with prescriptions for controlled-substance anxiety medications.  It may depend on the provider you have, but generally speaking, if you've only ever used your meds, whatever they were, as prescribed, and don't have any serious substance abuse history, you shouldn't raise any red flags.  Good luck, that sounds like a very painful thing you have going on there.

Edited by revolution724

When I had 3 hip surgeries over the course of about 3 years, plus another one for something else, I was on Vicodin and percocet (though not at the same time), for 4 years straight, even in between the surgeries.  Never had a problem, and fortunately never had a problem weaning off of it.

I think it depends on the DR who looks at meds and stuff.  Some may blow things totally out of proportion, but some may be ok with it.

I feel awkward having any meds, I'm on two regular ones i have been on for years (in the sig), and then when I'm prescribed anything else, i get very anxious, i have recently been on antibiotics, which i did need, i also get anxious about my liver and kidneys being able to handle it, but i think this is my hypochondria to a large extent.

Edited by cady

• 2 weeks later...

With all due respect, yeah... that was kinda stupid.

The thing about med-seeking history is, it occurs when doc thinks you want meds and refuses to give them to you out of it not being justified.

This doc felt it was proper treatment.  There is a huge difference.  Anything a doc offers of their own accord will never be seen as med seeking, it will be seen as patient compliance.

So what if it's in your history?  Even if a future doc sees it as unnecessary, they only see you merely accepted a medication from a doc.  They blame the doc for advising something not needed - not you for taking it.

Now, if *you're* worried about taking too strong a med for you, that's different -- but it's not the same concern as being labeled as med-seeking.