CrazyBoards.org

can't stop dreaming

I've been having this problem for months now.  A few hours after I go to sleep, my dream activity really ramps up.  I perceive it as being almost non-stop.  It keeps me in a semi-lucid state in which I am aware that I'm dreaming almost constantly.  I wake up frequently when this happens, and if it's after about 5am, it's likely to prevent me from going back to sleep, regardless of when I went to bed.  My brain awakening early wakes up my body's metabolism, so my body temperature rises, making it too warm to sleep sometimes.  This is getting really annoying.  It's preventing me from getting quality sleep.  If I want to feel rested, I have to stay in bed for at least 10 hours, the last few hours of it waking up and shifting position constantly because my dreams have woken me up.  This happens regardless of whether I've taken Ambien to go to sleep, though taking Ativan seems to be more effective at keeping me asleep.

Has anyone else had this problem?  What did you do about it?  My pdoc doesn't like prescribing sleep aids and benzos due to tolerance buildup, but I'm not sure what else to do.  This isn't a problem that can be cured with sleep hygiene, though I do make sure that the room is as dark as possible, and quiet.  I know there's a name for this kind of insomnia, but I can't remember what it is.

Edited by Motoko

It can be alot of things. The mood disorder itself, the medications. I won't be of much help but to just let you know this is really common, I have the same issues. My psychiatrist just writes it down. You can try a sleep study - it's possible you have a sleep disorder. Just some ideas.

• 2 months later...

Are the dreams nightmares? I don't have Lucid dreaming but once my thought process starts while asleep like you i start dreaming and dreaming hard.....I sleep right thru the whole darn nightmares which leave me waking up anxious and paranoid..........I prolly have PTSD but Bipolar has a lot to do with the types of dreams I have......I notice when i have a steady flow of a mood stabilizer in me while I sleep I'm okay but if I'm taking something that only has a six hour half life like Lyrica I start to go into a deep dark almost revelation type dreaming.....Sorry for hyjacking your thread I know a good sleep can do us all good.

Please don't make it your objective to stop dreaming.  The older sleep meds (i.e. Halcion) were notorious for blocking REM sleep.  The effects of this are forgetfulness, irritability and worse.  I believe your situation will eventually resolve.  It may well be a rebound effect if you had previously been deprived of REM sleep.  Just my $.02.