CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Motoko

disturbing dreams about water

I'm certainly not asking for dream interpretation or anything, but does anyone else frequently dream about water? I often dream about submerged cities and roads that disappear underwater.  Or bridges that go over water. The other night I had a nightmare about being caught in a hurricane that covered an entire hemisphere. It flung me around and around the eye across entire oceans. My husband had to wake me up because I was making upset noises. Friends suggest this is my unconscious processing emotions.  I'll spare you my most disturbing water dream, as it's probably triggery regarding suicide (note: I am not suicidal, I just had a weird dream in which that was a theme).

Not the same but I have end of the world dreams. Sometimes a fire, sometimes a really really terrible hurricane, sometimes water. I thankfully haven't had one in a while, they tend to come in cycles but they're awful. Sorry, no help but I can sympathize with how awful they feel.

i had nightmares about water for so very many years.  i don't have them anymore, yay.

it was always that i was underwater and trying to come back up.  the surface would become solid/frozen and i couldn't get out.  i would wake up thrashing about because i was drowning.  i don't dream this anymore but will i swim in water deeper than three feet?  nuh uh.

it definitely came from having certain "issues".  the most wonderful thing happened when that issue got better in my waking life.  i had a dream that i was underwater, but i could breathe.  i could break the surface and come up for air and even hover above the water if i wanted.  it was all within my control.  it was the most beautiful dream i've ever had, and i don't think i've ever been as happy in real life as i was when i was ducking in and out of the water in that dream.

your dreams sound scary.  there probably is something relevant in there - whenever i've had repetitive themes, there's always been an underlying issue, and when that issue is resolved, suddenly i stop having those dreams (sometimes with the added bonus of an opposite, wonderful dream, like the above).  it's so weird.

for me being covered by/surrounded by water meant i could not communicate.  i couldn't breathe (my metaphor for anxiety/fear).  i had no choice but to be silent (nobody could hear me!) even though without help, i would die.  so, so very directly related to being able to talk about being mentally ill in many ways.  so very related to being able to ask for help.

i wonder what the water is covering or surrounding for you?  it kinda sounds like something that is taking over and destroying, something that feels like a huge force you can't control.  yeah i know you said you didn't want dream interpretation (and i don't believe in it in the classic sense, anyway)... but it's so damned interesting, what our minds come up with whilst we sleep.  some of it is just recycled crap leftover from the days events, but then some of it... some of it i've learned a lot from.

I'm certainly not asking for dream interpretation or anything, but does anyone else frequently dream about water?

All The Time.

I dream about:

huge enormous pools that stretch from town to town or go under buildings

Rough ocean waves on a shore off a isolated island

Long rivers that never end filled with all kinds of plants and rocks

Endless swimming pools, all shapes and sizes, in every kind of building behind every kind of house.

I am all about water.

I love to swim more than anything in the world.

I love my water dreams most of all except:

when I am drooling at waters edge, ready to dive in,  and just when my toe touches the water it drains.

Or the pool closes, or the ocean disappears.

Or my muscles clench when I want to just move.

But if i get to swim free I am in heaven.

In my dreams and my 'real' life.

I'm certainly not asking for dream interpretation or anything, but does anyone else frequently dream about water?

All The Time.

I dream about:

Endless swimming pools, all shapes and sizes, in every kind of building behind every kind of house.

I am all about water.

when I am drooling at waters edge, ready to dive in,  and just when my toe touches the water it drains.

that's so cool :)

i just realized you could have taken the title of this thread totally personally hehe (disturbing dreams about water!). :D

All The Time.

I dream about:

I am all about water.

that's so cool :)

i just realized you could have taken the title of this thread totally personally hehe (disturbing dreams about water!). :D

I know. hwhahaha.

My dad, only somewhat facetiously (because this was Freud's idea), says that water is about sex. Not necessarily good sex, or happy sex, or safe sex. In fact, usually dreams about water/sex are tumultuous and scary.

I've only had one good water dream, and it involved horses. So, yeah.

i read once that you dream about water a lot because you have to pee. while i don't think that's true for everyone (or anyone, necessarily), i do have an overactive bladder and always wake up needing to pee immediately (and i dream about water quite often.. when i'm not dreaming about water, i'm dreaming about using the toilet or being in a bathroom so there's that ;)).

all my dreams are muddled and filled with anxiety. i want to have a nice and peaceful dream just once in my life. i guess there's still time for that to happen.  :)

You know, I just realized I do dream about water-related things, or water is part of my dream.  I usually can't recall the dream when I wake up, except that I wake up saying, "I hate water."  I just noticed this today.  I don't always wake up saying that, but it triggered memories of other dreams where water was a part of it.

when i'm not dreaming about water, i'm dreaming about using the toilet or being in a bathroom so there's that

Me too!  And then I wake up, I have to pee really bad and running to the toilet.  It is like trying to find a bathroom is incorporated into the dream, but I can't find one so I wake up.

You know, I just realized I do dream about water-related things, or water is part of my dream.  I usually can't recall the dream when I wake up, except that I wake up saying, "I hate water."  I just noticed this today.  I don't always wake up saying that, but it triggered memories of other dreams where water was a part of it.

when i'm not dreaming about water, i'm dreaming about using the toilet or being in a bathroom so there's that

Me too!  And then I wake up, I have to pee really bad and running to the toilet.  It is like trying to find a bathroom is incorporated into the dream, but I can't find one so I wake up.

Me three. So many toilet exploding dreams. Going into filthy bathrooms where I don't fit or there is no door or there is no free stall.  Too many where I have to step over poop to pee. 

I do notice that I dream about needing to pee when I actually do need to pee.

oh lord there's a whole nightmarish kind of scenario about dreaming while needing to pee... in my dreams the bathroom is usually right in front of me, but i can't use it for a whole host of reasons that would probably only ever happen in dreamland (like a public washroom packed full of people and the only stall has no door so there's no way i can go...)  :P

oh lord there's a whole nightmarish kind of scenario about dreaming while needing to pee... in my dreams the bathroom is usually right in front of me, but i can't use it for a whole host of reasons that would probably only ever happen in dreamland (like a public washroom packed full of people and the only stall has no door so there's no way i can go...)  :P

Exactly. There are often 20 stalls, all have no door and broken toilets or people.

^^Yep.  There is always something getting in the way of getting to a bathroom or in a bathroom.

^^Yep.  There is always something getting in the way of getting to a bathroom or in a bathroom.

you know what? it now seem SO logical. But in reality, I have never 'spoken' so much about my poop/pee/toilet dreams. 

Thank you guys and gals and galguys and guygals.

you know what? it now seem SO logical. But in reality, I have never 'spoken' so much about my poop/pee/toilet dreams. 

LOL me either ... I would never even think to bring up stuff like this with others than here on CB.

LOL me either ... I would never even think to bring up stuff like this with others than here on CB.

If they are extremely upsetting, I might tell hubs. Now that I think about that, I probably have only ever mentioned them once or even twice. I have had hundreds of bathroom dreams. I remember every single dream I have every single night and have my whole life and they are always long, convoluted, full of fantastical and/or horrifying things. They color my day. I treasure my dreams. The worst is when I dream that hubs rejected me. It is SO hard to not be mad at him.  hhahaha

the worst is when my toilet/pee dreams involve me having to pee in front of other people (like the stalls are all open and everyone can see or its like a bus filled with toilets lol). those dreams obviously incorporate my social anxiety as well as my overactive bladder.

All I know is that if I find that elusive bathroom in my dream and start peeing, I wake up QUICK and run to the actual bathroom. Lol.

Exactly LOL me too ... I've even wet the bed once, and I woke up while I was peeing so I flew to the bathroom.  Fortunately not a lot had come out, but still was a PITA to change the sheets and mattress pad etc.