CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Brokendishes

Constant anxiety

Anyone else live in a constant state of anxiety?

Im so frustrated. I meditate, color, listen to calming music and take my meds but I live in complete and utter terror all the time...seriously it never ends.

Sounds frighten me...I'm home sick today and a guy is cutting down tree limbs next door. I'm startled and afraid everytime I hear the saw. I know its coming but i'm scared anyway.

I'm too afraid to get groceries. I'm terrified when alone...which is most of the time when i'm not at work.

I would like to be calm but I cant be. I'mm just afraid of everything all the time.

Are there any meds that would help? I'm only on xanax and it works ok but i'm feeling overwhelmed beyond what that can do.

I've been considering going IP again but that would mess up my job. I talked to the crisis line again yesterday and they are nice and think I'm ok here...just keep up meditating and stuff...we all have good and bad days. But my bad days are way outnumbering my good.

It might be because I'm sick with a virus that I'm extra jumpy and scared. I hope it will go away when I get better...but I'm afraid it wont:(

Xanax is helpful as a quick fix, but a lot of people with anxiety disorders take an SSRI or SNRI for overall symptom treatment.  I have found Zoloft very helpful in that regard.  I don't even take a PRN benzo for breakthrough anxiety anymore (just occasionally for sleep).

Are you seeing a tdoc also?

Yes, i'm in a constant state of anxiety and panic, and it's very draining, duloxotine has helped a bit but it's still a constant,and i really don't think that even therapy will help. I sympathise a great deal, the only thing that completely worked for me was a low dose of Valium, but i was only given this for a week as an emergency to get me somewhat stable, because i needed hospitalizing.

Edited by cady

Hi Revolution...i keep all the docs in business--therapist, shrink, family doc, etc. i try to make sure everyone is on the same page and helping me. Its frustrating though because i feel terrible and have for some time. They all think im doing great. Sometimes i wonder if its just bs --focus on the accomplishments, try to ignore the probs--i tell them how i feel but im getting nowhere.

My shrink is outta the country til the end of the month. I called her fill in guy and he was a douche...i asked which hospital i could go to to get a physical eval and a psych eval because maybe i need to be IP again...he was nasty because i was interrupting the football game apparently, and said only the yucky county hospital does those evals and if im not seeing/hearing things they wont admit me there. The crisis line girls know my history and said they can get me back into the private hospital if i want to go...but i wanted to hold off for now...cant tell how much is medical and how much is crazy.

I feel like i need something stronger than AD...like injectable and immediate. I'm going to try to sleep and feel better physically before making any big decisions like that. I got an appointment with a gastro guy next week....hope he's better than the last...get my stomach sorted out...

Cady, thanks for your post....i know how you feel and it sucks alot. I hooe you can find something to help you too.

I know that constant anxiety feeling. Benzos are a short term fix, but you can develop a tolerance to them. I took Valium for 13 years and had to go through withdrawal, so I stay away from them. Of all the SSRI's paxil has helped me the most, but everyone's different. I so empathize with you. Some people don't understand that this is much more than just being nervous. My Pdoc prescribed hydroxyzine (vistaril) for severe anxiety. It can make you drowsy, but it seems to help. I hope your able to get relief soon. I've been going through this for at least fifty years. I can tell you that it can and will get better! It doesn't feel that way when you're in the midst of it, but it will ease up.

All the best!!

I'm sorry you're going through this, anxiety is so terrible. I can only imagine how awful it must be to be afraid to leave your house.

Propranaolol helped a lot with my physical symptoms of anxiety and made me feel much better.

Or you could try an SSR, like Paxil or Zoloft. I hear those help quite a bit.

I am going through the same thing that you are right now and I feel miserable......................doctor called the pharmacy to fill my xanax.

HOPE you feel better soon !

Thanks guys...wish i could give you all a hug...it means alot that you understand.

Working is so hard because i'm always afraid i wont be able to keep working because it gets so rough.

When my shrink gets back i'll have to ask her about some of those meds. I still would like to find out why i'm like this. I never used to be this bad, but now i band-aid myself through every day. I make up all kinds of rituals to try to not be anxious...listen to zen music, eat slowly/several small meals, deep breathe,etc...but i feel like i'm losing this battle and my mind.

The only thing that helps is my H, but we're separated. He comes over all the time and takes care of stuff i cant do but i really wish we could be together full-time again. I held it together fairly well until he left and my dad died....then i fell completely apart. I just hold onto the hope that we'll reconcile one day...he said we could, just he needs to be there for his kids (they're doing all kinds of bad stuff their mom and i dont like, but H allows 'supervised')

The only time I dont feel out of control is when he holds me....just a hug or hand on my shoulder fixes me for a long while.

If i can get the right meds though i'll be a better person for it

I totally understand the constant anxiety. I can't leave the house or my bed nearly all the time.

You are doing all the right things. It sucks that your anxiety is still present.

I hope it gets better soon!

I understand it too. Have been there so many times in my life. And I understand the GI distress as well! My IBS is a daily problem for me.

When I've been in those cycles generally I have to get myself on an SSRI in order to calm down enough to start living again at all. The one's that have worked, kick in, I get a chance to establish my life again and then sometimes I've been able to go off them (other times I've had to due to sides, I tend to be overly sensitive). In between I find valium a lot more helpful than xanax. For me, xanax makes me feel drugged, kind of a little drunk but does nothing to calm the racing heart beat, or the panic attack, while valium actually seems to calm me down and slow my heart rate so I can cope. It could just be that xanax is wrong for you.

The SSRI's I've found *most* helpful for that constant buzzing panic are Paxil, Citalopram and Effexor XR. Giving one a go doesn't mean you'll need to be on it forever and it might just make you feel a whole lot better.

Im bringing a list of all these drugs to my sheprink when she gets back and we're going over all of them.

I think im ready to try an ssri again. Lexapro almost killed me i was allergic to it. But the nausea drug zofran is related to ssri's and i tolerate it fine((no headaches either if you get hydrated before taking it, and melting it with a bit of water in your mouth then drinking another 6-8 ounces....did this by mistake and it actually prevented the dreaded zofran headache))

Im going to see about the most sedating, muscle relaxing, fastest acting ssri there is and make her pump me full of that shit. Im not living my life this way anymore.

Im bringing a list of all these drugs to my sheprink when she gets back and we're going over all of them.

I think im ready to try an ssri again. Lexapro almost killed me i was allergic to it. But the nausea drug zofran is related to ssri's and i tolerate it fine((no headaches either if you get hydrated before taking it, and melting it with a bit of water in your mouth then drinking another 6-8 ounces....did this by mistake and it actually prevented the dreaded zofran headache))

Im going to see about the most sedating, muscle relaxing, fastest acting ssri there is and make her pump me full of that shit. Im not living my life this way anymore.

Good on you! I'm doing the same when I see my new Pdoc at the end of the month. I'm over sitting at home stewing about my stomach and watching life pass me by.. if they have to mainline that crud into me to get me better I'll be signing up!

Just wanted to point out, not all benzos are used only short term, and not all people who use benzos develop tolerance. I've been on the exact same dose of Xanax for over 8 years. I am dependent on them the same way I am dependent on Lamictal. But dependence and tolerance are two completely different animals.

^^I agree.  Been on xanax since 2001, and klonopin even longer.  Not addicted, just dependent on them like I am any other meds I am on.

Good for you broken! I'm happy to hear you are taking charge of your life and illness. I hope you find a good sedating med like you want!