CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro vs Escitalopram... Is there a difference?

I'm a mess. I just got out of rehab for benzodiazepines and my anxiety is high and I'm extremely disconnected and detached from reality. It's terrifying. I just started 10 mgs of Escitalopram one week ago but now I'm wondering if I should be taking Lexapro. I took it in 2002 while i was in the hospital and it saved my life. I felt "normal" after about a month.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether the generic is as good as Lexapro?

Thank you so much.

brooke

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people claim they get more side effects from generics. They do use different fillers, however the active ingredient is the same and the same dose so it should work just as well. It's generally the fillers that people react to.

When I took Lexapro it started to kick in around the 2 week mark (pretty mildly) but steadily improved over the next 2 weeks and I was feeling a whole lot better after that month.

I just came here to say this:

Some people claim they get more side effects from generics. They do use different fillers, however the active ingredient is the same and the same dose so it should work just as well. It's generally the fillers that people react to.

I was on the generic the entire time I took it. It didn't help me very much, but I haven't gotten much good from any of the antidepressants I've tried yet.

I hope it does some good for ya. I seem to remember that it can take a couple weeks to start kicking in. It's been awhile since I was on it, though.

Edited by The Dead Guy

Thanks. Neurontin is helping a lot by calming me down. Just wish I could get rid of this detatched feeling. I feel like I'm floating around the house and like everything is a dream. It's awful. Hope you get some relief soon!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on Escitalopram for about a month. First 5 mgs, then 10, 15, and finally 20 a few days ago. I was wondering if blurred vision is a common side effect. My eyes feel strange. I can see...it just feels different. I had a migraine for two days straight so maybe it's the after effects of that? Not sure. This is the first time I've noticed any side effects since starting this drug. How long do side effects last anyway?? And I'm still waiting for it to work...

Thank you!

Edited by brooke

I don't know where you are in the world but in some countries you can get a drug card that pays the difference between brand and generic.  If you did well on brand before it's worth a try.

I always get the brand of antidepressants and mood stabilizers.

The dose can be off by up to 20% and the generic version can still be approved (although the FDA states that this has no effect in terms of blood levels - who knows).  Sometimes they can also release differently.  There are a couple of studies in which generic has not been equivalent to brand, plus almost all initial drug trials are done with brand drugs because it's the original manufacturer doing the trials.

Edited by tryp

I'm pretty sure 20mg is the therapeutic dose (the minimum one) so given that you're only a few days in it might still take a little while to kick in. I wish you luck though!

This is true for citalopram, but the minimum therapeutic dose for escitalopram is 10 mg, that is, at least in the US.

I'm in the US. I think it would cost over $200 for the brand. Unless my doctor calls my insurance and tries to get it down.

I'll give it another week but if i still have this weird vision thing going on, I'm switching.

Thanks for the replies.

Ask your pharmacist or doctor if there is a brand discount card.

In Canada, I have an Innovicares card and it pays the entire difference between the cost of generic Lamictal and the cost of brand Lamictal, so I get brand at the generic price.

Even brand meds are cheaper here, but I feel like there might be something similar in the states.

https://www.innovicares.ca/

It won't work in the US, but there might be something similar.  Here doctor's offices and pharmacies often have drug cards that they get from the companies.

Edited by tryp

I'm pretty sure 20mg is the therapeutic dose (the minimum one) so given that you're only a few days in it might still take a little while to kick in. I wish you luck though!

This is true for citalopram, but the minimum therapeutic dose for escitalopram is 10 mg, that is, at least in the US.

Yep, same here. Sorry, my bad. Read the name wrong.