CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
Motoko

dealing with the well-meaning ignorant

Grrrr, a friend made me so mad on Facebook this morning.  I posted last night that I *do* feel better after exercising, with the hashtag 'bipolar'.  She replied by telling me that DSM diagnoses get entrenched in people's brains, preventing them from getting better.  While I'm perfectly aware that identifying with your illness isn't the healthiest thing to do, I know this person, and I know that she thinks mental illness in America is an industry driven by Big Pharma and that if we all took hypnosis (from her, of course) and did other things, that we wouldn't have mental illness anymore or need to take those evil, evil drugs, because she's "seen it happen".  You can *sometimes* make mental illness *better* with lifestyle changes, but by and large someone is not going to cure themselves of their mental illness through lifestyle changes alone.  I told her not to go there, though what I really wanted to tell her was to get the fuck out of my face with that ignorant bullshit.  She's perpetuating myths and stereotypes that most people have about mental illness and basically telling me that it's my choice to be bipolar (which she has done before, though not in those exact words).  I would have bitchslapped her through the computer if I could have.  I suppose she means well, but damn!

I responded by unfriending her (because I'm sick of her repeated attempts to tell me my disease is a choice) and posting a small rant on my timeline basically letting everyone else know that if they ever insinuate that my disease is a choice, they will be immediately unfriended without question.  I have enough  trouble in my life without having to deal with that ignorant bullshit.

One analogy I've heard recently is to ask people if they would "choose" cancer.

I understand this. I had a "friend" tell me (while I was going through ECT) that aromatherapy would cure me. Of course, only the brand she was selling, which was insanely expensive. I was quite confused with the ECT, and feel like she was being very predatory, not to mention judgmental.

I have many friends like this and as I commented on your status......I have a friend that believes my house needs to be cleansed and that I need to place crystals at the four corners and that this would cure my MI. Hahahaha, tell me, tell me, tell me true, who seems nuts to you. (Woot woot, I rhymed)

Those that understand get it, those that don't wont.

Your first responsibility is to yourself, and you can't get healthy and stay healthy with those kinds of people around.

I'm glad you were exercising---I think it's good for everyone, and not just MI people.  But I'm with Wooster---do people choose to get cancer?  I have Glaucoma----is that something I can get rid of by being positive, or by being hypnotized?  Nah.

You're better off without this jerk in your life.

olga

I can't tell anyone about my dx due to the high levels of ignorance, disbelief and misconceptions surrounding it.

It's really shitty to be forced to exist in such secrecy.

Good for you for being able to stand up for yourself!

I was told Jesus would make me better. Nope.

Prozac did, though.

Yeah, remaining in the padded rubber closet with people just makes sense.

I think unfriending this person was a wise choice on your part. I haven't posted an ultimatum on my own Facebook page, but then, the people I have on my page are mostly family, or my siblings' "family of choice" friends. I have a reputation as a pedant, and it's gotten to the point where I'm comfortable asking someone to cite a source when they offer me advice. 

I also agree with Wooster: we don't "choose" to be ill, anymore than someone "chooses" rheumatoid arthritis or cancer. That's a bunch of shit. 

If changing your lifestyle helps you to feel better, doooooo iiiiit. I've changed my diet, made a habit of taking vitamins, and I get off my ass periodically. These things have helped in their way. But I'm under no illusion that I'm all cured now. This illness didn't happen by changing one thing. It ain't gonna disappear that way. 

There's well meaning ignorant ("Just smile! Life's not so bad!") and then there are assholes spreading dangerous information and trying to profit from it.

Sounds like your friend is in the latter category.

You dealt with her just fine. Unfriending her was an excellent choice. Good job. I had trouble doing that with people because I felt mean. It's really not mean. Not at all. Especially if it makes you less angry.

I have a friend (was real life but haven't seen her in years) with bipolar. I let slip one day that I suffer from what I suffer from in a PM and was promptly told I was basically imagining my diagnosis and all that was wrong with me was a bit of depression, that agoraphobia wasn't what I was suffering from.

Umm what? Not sure when they got their degree......

I was told Jesus would make me better. Nope.

Prozac did, though.

Yeah, remaining in the padded rubber closet with people just makes sense.

I published an article about being mentally ill, and the Title was: "In the Padded Closet: Stories from a Secret Life." Your post just struck me because of that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By braindeadbedhead
      This is a long shot, but I figure I can't be the only one who has ever had this thought. Is there a way to induce a state that includes the productivity/happiness of mania - without all the extra bullshit? 😅
      Mania is better than any drug, the euphoria is incomparable. Every time I skip a few days of sleep, feel an increase in energy, or anything that might be the beginning of an episode, I think - ''Please let this be the onset of the best feeling in the world. I can't do this shit anymore''. I feel so guilty admitting to that, because I know that being manic and being functional are generally not compatible. I also don't ever want to end up in hospital again, because that never fails to be a de-humanizing experience.
      I have not had any symptoms of mania since my last hospital admission, three whole years ago. It was the first and only manic episode that I've ever had, and it lasted for about three months. I feel like I could have avoided hospital completely if I had experienced mania without the accompanying psychosis. If I could just achieve that level of elation without:
      rapid speech word-salad delusional beliefs dangerously impulsive acts (e.g. jumping out of a car on the highway because the sky looked beautiful and I wanted a loser look) I look back on those ugly symptoms and I could never cope with them now. I go to college full-time, I work, and I have so much to lose if I lost the ability to communicate with others and behave safely. On the other hand - my life just feels so damn gray and stagnant; I miss feeling invincible. 
    • By csr
      For the last 20 years i am taking, 800mg Lithium, 200mg Quitipine, 150mg Serlift, 150mg of Bioprion, 0.75 of Alprozolam.  I am now 54 years. Life is going on by God Grace. 

Physiological Problems Either 
      Mental Illness   2. Behaviour 
      In Behaviour  special children  in public places Masterbating, or touching the Genetical Parts or Touching Chin....... 

For me, from the age of 28 years to till now, I did not go to the above extreme, but 
      Whenever I go outside I used to see Ladies private parts, then my mind change to normal. I was working many firms for the  lost 30 years. 

Now I am facing shame is , my daughter 22 years. When we go outside me, wife and daughter, I did the same thing and my daughter noticed also. Still many responsibility for me, like my daughter marriage, then there is  a  functions etc. 

So I want your advise. I need to have Therapy or Physiatrist Doctor. Can you pls advise. 

I have been on Sertaline 100mg for the last 20 years and for the last 5 years Buprion 150mg XL (to reduce the smoking, i reduced to 4 per day). As i said above an example, i find very hypersexuality and i find one article today. Here i enclosed here.
        My question: how to replace Sertaline 100mg and will stop Buproin 150mg completely. Can anyone give suggestion Pls.

• By thebakerbunny
      Hi, all. I feel like a newb oldie: been on here a while, still feel dumb as shit with all the o chem breakdowns and acronyms.
      Anyway- I've been maxed out on effexor xr for years now. I've taken it pretty consistently for...12 years? with a few breaks to try something new. There aren't many details I can remember well (always had a bad memory, now it's basically a vestigial feature), but here's what I've garnered: 
      *SSRIs and i seem to not mix. Not just some side effects, but all the side effects, and no or negative improvement.
      *wellbutrin did nothing for me. Not good, not bad- just nothing. 
      *Effexor was good- great, even- before I tapped out. I've just been staying with it till I can figure something out.
      *currently, I take 225 mg Effexor (and several doctors have told me now that they flat out won't go above that), 150 lamictal, and klonopin and Ambien as needed. (And as I've been mightily depressed lately...I've been "as needing" them a lot more.)

I've been wanting to change for a while now, and I've been studying up to see what might be some better options, but haven't had a tdoc or pdoc in the meantime. I'm meeting new ones shortly and I want to take some suggestions to them. Problem is that I'm allergic to a few things, with varying degrees of severity and type of allergic reactions. Any suggestions of SNRIs, TCAs, or MAOIs that aren't: 
      *sulfa-meds (full body hives. Like...full body- between my toes, in my buttcrack...😬)
      *compazine (difficult breathing, light anaphylaxis.)
      *darvocet, Vicodin (full-blown anaphylaxis.)

I have been given morphine with no reaction (so, what- does this mean that synethics cause issues, but cleaner natural versions don't?), and take imitrex regularly. I'm not smart enough to understand all of the individual components, and too ADD to have the patience to learn which causes what.
      I feel like it's got be something pretty potent, since I've been middling- to severely-depressed pretty constantly (easily 8 out those 12 years), but I also don't need anything that's going to make me lethargic. Apathetic, fine- just please, no serious drowsiness.  
      I defer to you guys and gals and pals for what your thoughts are on what might be most effective, but also won't send me to the ER.

• By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.