CrazyBoards.org

Why would this doctor lie?

Okay so I had laser treatment. I had some problems. I rang and reception told me to Email the pictures and the doctor would ring me back. Doctor never rang me back but reception emailed me a week later and told me doctor said to use this cream and the skin SHOULDN'T be itchy from laser treatment. Cream worked like magic though.

I looked it up and skin SHOULD be itchy after laser treatment. Its common knowledge. It means it's healing?? WHY would he lie about it? IDK myself.

(1) I don't know why you would think we could possibly know the answer to this, and (2) you can pretty much find confirmation for anything you like on the internet.  I'd be more inclined to believe the doctor and conclude that you had an unexpected adverse reaction.  Maybe you didn't explain yourself clearly.  Maybe the receptionist didn't explain him/herself properly.  Is it really worth agonising over something like this?

Well, I don't like being lied to especially by a doctor. It was really rude that he didn't ring me back.

I'm having second thoughts about going back to him. I feel ripped off.

It wasn't just from one source from the internet that someone can make up. It was EVERY source.

Maybe she was new. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

I wasn't there, so I couldn't tell you. No one else was here either, so we can't tell you. Maybe you could ask for a second opinion from a different doctor. 

I don't know if you ever go back and read your old posts here, but it's something that I do sometimes. I find that there are certain trends that stick out, when I do that. I'd invite you to do similar. Do you see how a lot of what you're asking about doesn't translate over the internet very well? Maybe you can ask around the group that you go (or went?) to for someone who can help you navigate these situations with you.

Maybe that's why the doctor prescribed the cream - so that your skin doesn't itch.

When it comes to things like this you have to believe your doctor over what strangers post on the internet. You are getting hung up on one thing and calling your doctor a liar based on that. How would you like to be called a liar if you said something that is true in your experience but someone went on the internet and found out something else?

I am sure your skin will heal - itching or not.

Personally I would trust your GPs opinion.  More often than not all of your doctors stay current on treatments and side effects via medical journals and other subscription services.  Also consider his "field experience" concerning the matter.  He might consider factors you are unaware of.

This is not to say that doing your own research is taboo or frowned upon.  I believe that doctors can better treat an educated paitient.

So print out the info from the internet and take to your doctor so he can see it.  You might be suprised what he says!  :)

Happy2beyoung, there is no collusion among everyone you know to pick on you. You practically look forward to finding a way to be insulted. I am sure you have heard by now that unhappy people are more likely to take their complaints to the internet than happy people are to take their compliments.

If it says a side-effect is itching on the PI sheet, bring it up next you see him. If you can find a peer-reviewed paper, that would work, too. Anecdote does not count, even if 100 people say the same thing.

I don't think this is honestly a good reason to automatically not trust your doctor, especially if this is the only transgression that you had. It could have been just a misunderstanding. Maybe he meant that it should not itch after you put the cream on.

I don't think he would intentionally lie to you. I mean think about it, why would he? He has absolutely no reason too, it is not in his benefit to lie to you. Also, although I do love the internet, I don't base my medical decisions on the internet. I think it is important to acknowledge that people make mistakes, are wrong and have misunderstandings.It does not mean they are bad people, it means they are people. Jumping to conclusions on small details isn't the best idea IMO.   

It is unfortunate that the reception person said the doctor her/himself would get back to you directly.

It's often the case that doctors' schedules are very full and they do a lot of task/time management by delegating some of the "easier" answers or tasks to people who can legitimately pass through the information to you.

I thought about. So I would go back there for him to "check it" and he would charge me more money...

I doubt that was the case, sometimes those follow-ups are covered by insurance. Not to mention most doctors I know have very busy schedules and will try not to have you come in if you don't need to. 

I hope this doesn't come off as rude, but IMO I think you are stressing yourself out about nothing and making a mountain out of a molehill.