CrazyBoards.org

False seizures?

Anyone know anything about false seizures? I just read about them today and wondered if maybe thats what i have.... I think they also call them emotional seizures.

Apparently its when people laugh or cry uncontrollably or when they shouldnt. Ive read that it can be part of a brain injury or neurological illness, or just all on its own.

I've been having these random crying hysterical outbursts which i thought were panic attacks, only super intense...but now i'm wondering if i might have a neurological issue.

Any thoughts?

Well my sister has false seizures but hers are characterized by convulsions that stem from emotional trauma.

If you're thinking that your outbursts are caused by false seizures, get a referral to see a neurologist and they can run tests to properly diagnose whatever is going on.

Good luck.

Psychogenic seizures are seizure-like events that do not cause, or are not caused by, electrical disturbances in the brain. They look like seizures, and not emotional outbursts. While people having seizures may laugh or cry briefly, or have an automatism, they don't tend to have outbursts. If you try to approach someone who has had a seizure before they are "with it," you may get swung at. Still, not the same thing.

If you really are losing control of your emotions like that, you need to talk to your pdoc, AND your tdoc, because it sounds like it is a tangle of types of symptoms.

Edited by crtclms

Psychogenic seizures are seizure-like events that do not cause, or are not caused by, electrical disturbances in the brain. They look like seizures, and not emotional outbursts.

This^

Dishes, the difference between Epileptic and Psychogenic Seizures is electrical activity and not in seizure presence. A Lot of the time the only way the tell the difference is in EEG, and that isn't always even 100%.

Ive read that it can be part of a brain injury or neurological illness, or just all on its own.

Any thoughts?

Just some info that might help...

Psychogenic Seizures are classified as a Psychological issue caused by Emptional Trauma or a stress reaction in the brain; which is treated with Psychotherapy (and not Anticonvulsants). Psychigenic seizures also can not be identified in brain scans/imaging, and is not caused by head trauma or Neurological issues.

So seeing a Neurologist for testing to rule out Epileptic Seizures with testing can be done, but if they even were Psychogenic Seizures they would be treated by a Psychologist (or Neuropsychologist) or Psychiatrist.

I'm glad you are talking to someone soon to get to the bottom of it. I don't think they are Seizures IMHO, but DO need proper identification and treatment ASAP. I hope you find relief from these outbursts.