CrazyBoards.org

Ativan to Klonopin

I've been taking a small to moderate amount of Ativan since 2011.  At first the scrip was for 30 1mg tabs a month, but that got tapered to 20 and then 15.  So it's not like I'm taking it every day or anything.  The problem is that it's only ever been moderately effective, and I often have to take 2mg instead of 1mg to get the appropriate anxiolytic effect.  I've been reading the bipolar and other forums for a few months and seem to notice that the vast majority of bipolar people seem to prefer Klonopin over the other benzos.  I myself have taken it a couple of times in the past and do recall that it had a better effect on me than the Ativan does.

I'd like to ask my pdoc to switch from Ativan to Klonopin, but I'm afraid he's going to say it's because of tolerance buildup (which it isn't, it's always been this way) and won't want to do that for me.  Is there a way I could couch this to him that would make it more likely he'd agree to the switch?  In this day and age of addiction paranoia, I'm sure there's a right way and a wrong way to go about this.

I switched from Ativan to Klon. Klon is longer acting, so perhaps tell your pdoc that the Ativan is wearing off too fast? In my experience, docs don't tend to like a patient telling them what drug they think would work for them. God complex, perhaps. Anyway, that would be my advice. Good luck!

I was only prescribed ativan for a very short period (2 weeks/4mg bd) by a crisis team then put on klonopin longer term. I stopped taking it as I found it to have no effects whatsoever so didn't really see the point. Anyway, that's beside the point, it obviously works for you so my advice would be to discuss it openly and frankly with your doc. My shrink has always discussed my treatment options very thoroughly with me before prescribing and has never batted an eyelid when I've asked for a switch. I've always been told that klon is a much milder benzo than ativan anyway (feel free to correct me), so I wouldn't have thought tolerance would be an issue in this case.

I have taken both. Ativan seemed to hit me harder with anxiolytic effects like almost right away but it wore off faster than klonopin. I take klonopin daily. It really has been the best option for me. I take it twice a day. I took 1mg three times daily but was able to cut my dose down to 0.5 mg in the morning and 1 mg at bedtime. And I've taken it various ways but this way seems to be alright for me. I sleep better and my mornings are good. Evenings are a bit rocky sometimes though. I take seroquel then but it's not as good for me to my anxiety as klonopin is.

I have taken Xanax, Ativan, and klonopin. I choose klonopin hands down, if I had to vote for one.

I would ask your pdoc about it. Maybe say it wears off too quickly and you'd like to try klonopin. I know some pdocs hate benzos though like you said. Addiction paranoia. I know it can happen but that doesn't mean it is going to happen for every individual. It ticks me off. I am a good example of it not being always addiction and tolerance. I was able to cut my daily dose in half and I've been on this current dose for years now. I mean it's not perfect but it is tolerable mostly. Before it was unbearable every second of the day. And really, if I take more during the day I just get sleepy. I don't get "high" or anything like some pdocs think probably. Ugh.

Good luck!

It took a couple years for my provider to convince me that switching from ativan to klonipin was a good idea.

It was, as it turned out, for me because I got longer coverage for the anxiety with klonipin than the ativan. And preventing the anxiety spiking was really helpful in helping to feel a sense of control and manageability.

• 2 weeks later...

My question too.  It's a long story, but basically my pdoc prescribed me 3 mg Klonopin a day when I'm already on 2mg Ativan (he didn't know).  I'm having severe anxiety, but I also may be having daytime withdrawals and I may need to cut down on the Ativan despite the anxiety.  I'm certainly not taking both, and I'm not taking 3mg Klonopin either.  But maybe I could switch to Klonopin because it has a longer half-life and take 1 or 1.5 mg?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did get him to switch me from Ativan to Klonopin, no problem.  When I suggested it, he said, "That sounds like a great idea."  I thought I was going to have to talk him into it!  Now my next hurdle is to get him to up my dose from .5mg to 1mg, which is a lot more effective for me.  If we bump my dose, I can stay at 15 tabs a month, which is what I'm allowed.  If he makes me stay at .5mg, I'll only get half that many doses per month.  I do have the benzo equivalency charts on my side.  I was taking 2mg of Ativan, which is equivalent to 1mg of Klonopin.  I'll text him in a few days and see what he thinks.