CrazyBoards.org

It's still a struggle to accept the schiz diagnosis 4 1/2 years on

I have not had a psychosis ever since that episode I had 4 1/2 years ago but I struggle to accept that I have schiz till this day. i don't deny the psychosis but I can't accept the diagnosis. I know you will say diagnosis doesn't matter as long as I'm getting the treatment.... but it does to me because I don't feel I am under the correct treatment :( Some pdocs have also said I may be schizoaffective or even bipolar but they don't treat me for the mood episodes. It is very frustrating.

To see someone when a non-emergency takes six months. I  know this sounds bad but I got lucky I got depressed so they could see me. Now I'm seeing them at the end of this month. Then they said it is schizoaffective because I had that depressive episode (it didn't last long but it was awful).

I would say that lots of people experience remission from schizophrenia. You are one of those people. You are very lucky! Most or at least some people here on CB are treatment resistant. Count your lucky stars and blessings.

Also I would ask your pdoc about your diagnosis if you are unsure. Maybe you need some reassurance from a professional? Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

Edited by Wonderful.Cheese

Didn't you just try to come off your meds? Schizoaffective is not well understood. Some people like me go through long remissions. Others deal with it everyday. When we are doing well we get in the habit of thinking we are not sick anymore, when the next episode is right around the corner...

Didn't you just try to come off your meds? Schizoaffective is not well understood. Some people like me go through long remissions. Others deal with it everyday. When we are doing well we get in the habit of thinking we are not sick anymore, when the next episode is right around the corner...

^This....