CrazyBoards.org

tell me about propranolol or other beta blockers

I have to do something that is very, very stressful and a major trigger. It is not optional. I have to go to court for my job.

I have an appointment next Friday to ask my GP for a beta blocker, maybe like propranolol, to see if it can help a little to keep me from COMPLETELY flipping out.

What can you tell me about how you feel when you take this med?

I've taken clonidine in the past and loved it because I was all floaty and disconnected, but also looked like I was totally stoned. I don't think that would go well in court.

Other ideas that I could bring to my GP?

My go-to med for extreme anxiety is atenolol (beta blocker). In fact, I just took some this morning. I find it very helpful. It is a bit more selective than propanolol and is less likely to aggravate depression.

I think you described it very well - atenolol keeps me from totally flipping out. I find it slightly sedating in addition to helping with anxiety so it is generally a win-win for me. Atenolol + citalopram = better than a benzo for me.

I think propranolol is a great idea. Very mild med. I take it for performance anxiety. It goes to work immediately and keeps my hands from shaking. I take the lowest possible dose.  I also use the lowest dose of valium for performance anxiety. However, this med is stronger and can make me very sleepy. But I never really feel drugged on valium either. 

Whichever you choose, I definitely recommend taking it BEFORE the day of court. You don't want to take a brand new med that day, just in case.

Though this may not work for you, advil also makes me calmer but also sleepy. It was used for my father in law when they could not get him a benzo in time. ANd it worked.

All in all, I vote for propranolol.  A med that has never given me any side effects.

I have been taking Propranolol (Inderal) for a number of years.  It prevents migraines and helps minimize the side effects of anxiety (racing heartbeat, etc.).  My understanding is that it is not meant to work to prevent anxiety, rather to help with the effects of it.  Water's suggestion of taking the med prior to your court date is a good point: when I added the 60 mg of IR to my regimen it affected my vision the first day, which shook and was rather scary.  This occurred even though I had been taking 80 mg of the ER for a number of years.  The shaking vision went away after that one day and I've not experienced any other side effects.

Best of luck with your court date!

I was prescribed  Atenolol  my first year in college for anxiety.  Honestly, I don't remember it doing much.  I took it every morning with my paxil... not just when I was  anxious.  I wish it had the effects other people report, but I my experience wasn't that great.   I had really sharp chest pains with it and dizziness.  I can't remember the dosage.  I went on ativan right after. 

I started on Propranalol when I had shaky hands from Depakote, and I still take 10mg morning and night.  It doesn't make me "feel" much, though when I first started I felt slightly sleepy, because what it does is slow your heart rate down.  For me it doesn't take the feeling of anxiety away, it just helps with the physical effects, basically the adrenaline surges caused by anxiety, so my heart doesn't beat as fast, my hands don't shake, and I actually sweat less.  So it will make you look and feel a little less nervous, but not at all in the way a benzo does as in tranquilizing your nervous system....  Very subtle drug for me, though I also think I'm on a low dose.

I like propranolol also ... it calms the anxiety (in a different way that benzos do), got rid of the tremors, and got rid of the headaches. (I had to go off of it though for thyroid reasons ... but it is available at any time if I need it for an emergency).

Water has a good idea re: taking it a day before the court date.

I ended up getting nadolol instead of propranolol way back when.

I'm not sure if there's any real difference between the two or not in terms of feel.  I tried to look, but my major take-away was metabolism stuff.  It says propranolol goes through CYP2D6 whereas Nadolol doesn't go through the liver at all.  There is also a note in the Wellbutrin PI sheet about it inhibiting 2D6, and possibly needing to start at a lower dose of the propranolol.  (http://www.drugs.com/pro/wellbutrin.html)

​I don't know if that translates to any real-world difference or not, but given your timetable, it could be a factor.

Nadolol makes me feel physically calmer without any loopiness or drugged-up feel.  If you take it and your blood pressure is good, nobody would be able to tell.

But - that brings up the real point of this post...

Since it is a blood pressure med, if you have a normal 120/80 bp & take a beta-blocker, it could lower your bp enough to make you feel dizzy and out of it.  That is noticeable.  When I first started the Nadolol, the one 40mg pill would lower both about 10pts.  Another med had already pushed me up to 130/90 so that was mostly fine, but occasionally I would drop back down to normal.  I ended up carrying around a bp cuff to check if I was good to take the Nadolol or not.

The good news was - if it did drop too low, salt would raise it back up without losing any of the psych/anti-tremor effect.  As long as I knew ahead of time, if I really needed to, I could take the salt before the Nadolol and never feel worse for wear.  If I couldn't check and risked it, I'd feel like crap for about 10mins until the salt kicked in.

Nowadays, I'm so used to it that it takes more than 4 pills to really affect my bp, so it's no longer an issue.  It took a few years of regular use though.

So - point: Whatever you end up getting, I'd advise doing a test run to see what it does to your bp.  Take your base bp, chew it up, and recheck 15-20mins later.  From my experience, the drop stays consistent.  If you think you may have to worry about dizziness, grab some free salt packets from a fast food place and put them in your purse.  IIRC, half the packet did it for me.

Rx in hand... running a trial dose Sunday.

Thanks for sharing all your insights.

Cet, I asked the pharmacist if there were any interactions with swellbutrin and propranolol and she said no. I wonder if she missed something?

All I have to do to raise my BP 10 points is think about court.  :P

Cet, I asked the pharmacist if there were any interactions with swellbutrin and propranolol and she said no. I wonder if she missed something?

All I have to do to raise my BP 10 points is think about court.   :P

I take propranolol and swellbutrin.  no issues. 

Been taking the propranlol for a few years. Only limited, but the bupropion is cemented in, so I guess, no side effects?

I take propranolol and swellbutrin.  no issues. 

Been taking the propranlol for a few years. Only limited, but the bupropion is cemented in, so I guess, no side effects?

I didn't have any interactions with propranolol and wellbutrin either.

Good luck!!

It's there, but it's a theoretical interaction.  I'm not surprised it wouldn't pop up on a pharmacy scan.  It's not a big deal, but the major take-away is that it may take less of the proparanolol to create the effect - and more could lead to more side effects.  So just keep that in mind when you determine the right dosage for you.

It's really all about the result and feel.  If the norm is too much, just know you can dial it back because the wellbutrin makes it stronger.

LOL.  Then I guess you're good. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I took Wellbutrin and propranolol together for literally years. No one every mentioned an interaction to me.

Atenolol gave me bruxism, which was weird.

I took Wellbutrin and propranolol together for literally years. No one every mentioned an interaction to me.

Atenolol gave me bruxism, which was weird.

What is Atenlool? lol Freudian slip

They will never run out of names for meds.

I've taken them together also without a problem.  Wasn't flagged at the pharmacy as having any interactions.

Oh by the way... propranolol works AMAZINGLY well just for going to therapy... I don't feel like I'm going to puke or pass out anymore just from being there. 

I'm hoping to get it officially "sanctioned" for this purpose in a couple of weeks.