CrazyBoards.org

New to sharing

Hi,

I happened to find this site while doing internet searches (again) to learn and better understand the reasons I act the way I do...and I just wanted to say that I am so happy to find you all. I feel like I finally found people like me and maybe I'm not so weird after all!!  :) This is the first time I ever joined a forum/conversation.  I usually keep everything to myself. I get a lot of social anxiety and am not much of a joiner.

I've been dealing with MDD and anxiety for a long time and when I found out I was bipolar II things started making a lot more sense.

Reading the comments from members of this site today made me smile and laugh and say "ME TOO!!"  Thank you.

Thanks!

It feels good to be able to be myself. It's exhausting to try to act "normal."  :wall:  

I've been a "work in progress" for a lot of years now.... I'd see one doc for depression and then another for anxiety. Eventually the meds would quit working or I'd stop taking them for some reason. Then a few years back I had a MELTDOWN after taking Zoloft for anxiety and that lasted for months!  I thought it was a nervous breakdown but now I think it was hypomania. After that I was afraid of taking any new pill that might flip me out again. I don't get the "happy highs" much- just long enough to get social and sign up for commitments until I'm overwhelmed and get irritable and crash back into depression. 

I've been dealing with MDD and anxiety for a long time and when I found out I was bipolar II things started making a lot more sense.

I don't get the "happy highs" much- just long enough to get social and sign up for commitments until I'm overwhelmed and get irritable and crash back into depression. 

Same here!

Welcome to the forum :)

Edited by larali

I was also diagnosed MDD and switched to BP diagnosis! We seem to have a lot of that around here. I hope you find what you need/want from CB. I enjoy reading the threads, and I occasionally post. Welcome and message me if you ever need anything or just want to chat.

For those of you that we're diagnosed MDD before bipolar, do you find you have more depressive episodes over manic episodes? Just curious.

I did read once also that it is quite common as people are more likely to seek help or be noticeably I'll when deprrssed.

Great question, can't wait to hear from others. For me when I was younger I had more hypo manic episodes. These were times of happiness and amazing focus, concentration and creativity. On a few occasions some impulsivity, but nothing horrid ( have a few tattoos from these times), otherwise good times. As I got older each year I had less and less hypo states. By the time I sought treatment, I couldn't remember ever having a hypo manic episode, the depression took over. Also want to add, this is in retrospect. I was completely unaware of having mood patterns, I figured everyone did.

You might want to start this as a new topic, it most likely would get a more attention. Maybe in the Bipolar forum.

For those of you that we're diagnosed MDD before bipolar, do you find you have more depressive episodes over manic episodes? Just curious.

I did read once also that it is quite common as people are more likely to seek help or be noticeably I'll when deprrssed.

I almost always get the package deal, so the numbers are about the same. The depressions typically last much longer, however. And both have been getting longer and more severe as I age. Now I get the mixed crap, too. Blech! Edited by Flash

I used to just get happy hypos now and then, but year+ long depressive episodes were the norm. I didn't recognize I got hypo, just severely, severely depressed. But my diagnosis for MDD was just a holding place, because we were already pretty sure I was BP. He put me on Prozac, and I went kablooey, and my diagnosis was changed.

For a long time, until my early 30s, I spent years depressed. Then I went into remission for 6-8 years (I am having trouble remembering). Then I came out of remission with my first mixed episode. Since then, I have been mildly depressed, but have had "severe" dysphoric hypomanias and manias, once with psychosis, and mixed episodes. There are others here who get much sicker, but my dysphoric episodes seem severe to me.

So in other words, your illness can really change as you age. I was diagnosed 26 years ago.