CrazyBoards.org

Suggestions for sleep meds

Do you know why you're not sleeping?  The sleep hygiene stuff has really helped me over the years - screens off an hour before bed, dark room, wind down time, getting up if you can't sleep rather than lying in bed, turning around all the clocks, regular sleep schedule, cutting caffeine, exercising - that sort of thing.  I also had to look at when I was taking my various medications.  I do much better if I don't take my Lamictal right before bed because it wakes me up.  If you've tried all that, then never mind - but it can be really effective with or without medication as an add-on.

I use prazosin but that's because I have PTSD so it's a special kind of sleep problem.

You could look into one of the other TCAs like Elavil, or one of the Z drugs, like zopiclone (I don't know what country you're in - different countries get different Z drugs).  There's also low dose Remeron (don't know if you were on it as an AD or for sleep), one of the other sedating AAPs, or one of the other benzos.

My primary doctor tried the natural route. 5mg melatonin 3 hrs before bed and Valerian at bed. It may work for you. It made me fall asleep like a baby, but my problem is staying asleep.. I am now trying Phosphatidylserine and it seems to be helping. I am only on day 2 though. My experience with sleep studies after having two is that if you sleep 5-6 hrs they consider you healthy :( I agree with the others, see (hope) its not a psych med or disorder related issue.

I've tried sleep hygiene. My problem is I have racing thoughts and cannot shut my mind down. I also suffer from sleep apnea so that probably contributes.

This is me without the sleep apnea.  

I am now using xanax as needed. Works wonderfully. And does not leave me befuddled the next day.

Also, it is SO important to slow down my mind at least an hour before sleep. No heavy discussions. No anxiety producing activities. I mostly read books totally unrelated to my life and it's environs.

Fixing the sleep apnea will definitely help. YOu are not getting a good nights sleep with sleep apnea so you might be going to bed too early because you are exhausted from lack of sleep. Quality sleep one night will help the next night.

Also, there is meditation. Not sure if you meditate, but sitting quietly, slowing your mind down, playing soothing music, and just breathing in and out, letting the thoughts go in one ear and out the other, for even 10 minutes, may help that racing mind.  Nothing fancy, just breathing, and following the breath thru your body as it goes in and out.  zzzzzzz.......zzzzzzzzz....

Whenever i had spells of severe insomnia in the past, most often associated with mania, my pdoc used to put me on Dalmane (flurazepam) I have been on 15mg and 30mg when really bad. The 30mg really knocked me out.  If insomnia not very bad or associated with mania I just take zopiclone 7.5mg which does the trick

My primary doctor tried the natural route. 5mg melatonin 3 hrs before bed and Valerian at bed. It may work for you. It made me fall asleep like a baby, but my problem is staying asleep.. I am now trying Phosphatidylserine and it seems to be helping. I am only on day 2 though. My experience with sleep studies after having two is that if you sleep 5-6 hrs they consider you healthy :( I agree with the others, see (hope) its not a psych med or disorder related issue.

Me too.  Which I think is a bunch of shit.  I had the shittiest night's sleep there, but because the wavelengths (or whatever they measure) were normal from their perspective, then all is well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a major insomniac, and have tried almost every med for sleep including benzos, z-drugs, anti psychotics, many antidepressants, antihistsmines, and many natural remedies. Only a few have worked for me - xanax, ambien, lunesta, and restoril. However, I build tolerance to them over time, and also become dependent on them, so they are not a good long term remedy for me. Sleep hygiene does help too, especially sleep restriction therapy.

I had no sleep problems until I went off Seroquel about 5 yrs ago. I t ride all of the usual sleep meds but none would get me to sleep, keep me asleep and still function the next day.

I went to see a sleep doc. He had me take Rozerem and Trazadone. The Rozerem gave me my life back.

It seems that not every pdoc has heard of the drug or doesn't use it. It is non addicting too.

I am the king of insomnia to the point where I went to see a psychiatrist who thought my insomnia was anxiety related, though I think there's also a genetic component since my mom suffers from it, too. I was down to 2 hours a night sometimes.

About two months ago, I started on Brintellix, a newer antidepressant, which has done wonders for my anxiety but only helped moderately with sleeping.

Last week I added Rozarem. The first two days it didn't do much, but by the third night it started working really well for me. I'm asleep within an hour of taking it (used to take me 4-5 hours to fall asleep--not kidding) and sleep at least 5 hours before waking up. Most of the time I've been able to go back to sleep for about 2 hours so now I'm up to 7 hours, which is probably ideal for me.

The downside--it's very expensive. The upside--it doesn't seem to have the nasty effect on me that Ambien did after awhile. That was by far the best sleep med I ever used, but I took it for four years and after the third year I started eating uncontrollably and gained about 20 pounds so I stopped it. I've also taken Diazepam but that's not something you can use every day or you build up a quick tolerance for it. 

Also, at a friend's advice, I tried medical cannabis, which did put me to sleep, but I didn't like having to be high for two hours before falling asleep--seemed like a big waste of time that could be better spent on other things (nothing against it, just wasn't for me).

Also, NO SCREENS (TV, Computer, iPad, Phone) at least an hour before bedtime.

• 2 months later...

I have insomnia to the point where I do not sleep at all unless I take my meds. I used to take only seroquel (quetiapine) for it but it still took hours for me to drift off, so now I take that alongside Circadin (which contains melotonin) and it's pretty effective. I find that the Circadin gets me to sleep and the Seroquel keeps me through the night.