CrazyBoards.org

For those diagnosed with MDD prior to bipolar.

Yesterday, 11:56 PM

For those of you that we're diagnosed MDD before bipolar, do you find you have more depressive episodes over manic episodes? Just curious.

I did read once also that it is quite common as people are more likely to seek help or be noticeably ill when depressed.

For me, from my perspective, I feel like my depressive symptoms have always been worse but I feel like I did have very noticeable psychotic traits as a teenager. Hence my former diagnosis of psychotic depression and then schizoaffective I guess. In my later teenage years though it was just pure depression that I sought help for the most. Then, when I got put back on effexor this year it triggered a huge hypomania episode after which I all of a sudden fell back into a really bad depression which was when my doctor diagnosed me. I did my research after that and realised, I've been having manic episodes for years without really knowing.

Great topic, long story.

So much of my current insight is retrospective.

I struggled with depressive episodes on and off for decades. During hypo manic states I rocked, no delusions or anything, just extremely motivated, focused and task orientated and impulsive. I did not realize what these were at the time? In my 40's the depressive episodes got longer and deeper. I started asking for help from my GP and my Gyne, the only docs I see. They both said oh this is an easy fix, depression is an easy fix, here take this. This lasted years, I never stayed on anything, I disliked the way they made me feel. My depressions worsened and really I stopped having hypo manic episodes, or if I did they were so brief they went unnoticed.

So this last June I went back to my GP, I was suicidal, or really just obsessed with dying, release if you will. Numb, angry and mean.

He started me on Viibryd. Had some early success, but then I started to become really anxious and moody, I was taking xanax to reduce the anxiety, but everyday started out fanfreakintastic, mid day unbelievable levels of anxiety and then evening crash into sobs.

I kept having hope things were working, I only remembered the mornings. Anyway I started to see a pattern and went back to my GP, he said well this isn't working for you, let's try Brintellix. Okay let's try it. This made the moods changes worse and I began having delusions, body twitching. Keep in mind I am on the starter dose on these two meds, never made it to therapeutic levels.

After a very difficult weekend, couldn't concentrate, unable to work a calculator and delusional, I new I needed to get to the ER.

I got there, and had a grand Mal seizure. Into the hospital, sedated for days. I had serotonin toxicity. My doc, pdoc and neurologists, say I am super sensitive to serotonin, and I do not have MDD, only someone that is bipolar would respond in this manner. Hell of a way to get the correct diagnosis.

Anyway all this crap thru me into a rapid cycle mixed state, crazy town. I'm am reaching a month on BP meds and starting to become my old self.

I just hope that my experience is rare.

Edited by dragonfly23

My doc, pdoc and neurologists, say I am super sensitive to serotonin, and I do not have MDD, only someone that is bipolar would respond in this manner. Hell of a way to get the correct diagnosis.

I just hope that my experience is rare.

Same here- super sensitive to meds even at tiny doses. But Zoloft and Effexor REALLY flipped me out!!

I tend to have more depressive episodes now that really make it hard to function. I miss the "feeling happy and awesome" hyopmania I used to have when I was younger. Now it tends to be anxiety and agitation more often. 

I was hypomanic through most of highschool but never knew it.  At one time got diagnosed with ADD until I fell into a deep depression when I was about 24 and didn't seek help until after I had ended up quitting my job (over the phone no less) and was unable to function.  My wife had to get me into the car and then drive me to the doctor.  I didn't start getting medicated until about a month later due to various reasons.  I went through several anti-depressants some helped some didn't.  Cymbalta was working great but it was giving me absent seizures.  It at least worked long enough for me to complete a very important project before I had to change meds again.  It wasn't until I got on Lexapro that I had a bad reaction, it sent me into a panic attack with some delusions as well.  I went to the ER and was sent home after being given a dose of Ativan.  Then we started playing around with various mood stabilizers, none of which worked well, discovered that I'm very sensitive to any serotonin based meds.  It took over ten years to find a combination of meds that have kept me relatively stable, and by relatively stable I mean that I've been hospitalized three times in the last year and nearly committed suicide last week.  But I haven't been manic for a long time.  We're switching my anti-depressant to a new one that seems to relieve the incessant suicidal thoughts that I've had, but so far it's been full of bad side effects.  We're dialing back the dose until I can tolerate the med.  Here's to hoping.

Yesterday, 11:56 PM

For those of you that we're diagnosed MDD before bipolar, do you find you have more depressive episodes over manic episodes? Just curious.

I did read once also that it is quite common as people are more likely to seek help or be noticeably ill when depressed.

I was first diagnosed with MDD when I was 13. They tend to not diagnose things like bipolar in people that young, so maybe that's why. I had more depressive symptoms than overtly manic episodes. Perhaps a bipolar II diagnosis would be more appropriate for me. Though, I've had 2 very clearly manic episodes (with psychosis) and a mixed episode, which "qualifies" me for bipolar I. However, the vast majority of my problems are with very severe depressions.

I had a diagnosis of MDD until a few months ago, when they changed it to BP2.

I definitely have more issues with depression than hypomania.  In fact I was surprised when I got the BP2 diagnosis because I wasn't aware of any hypomania, although now I'm starting to see it more clearly.

I was initially diagnosed with MDD back when I was 13-ish. My hypomanias tended to be pretty productive so I don't think they were nearly as apparent as my depressions, which tend to be pretty severe. My diagnosis was amended to BPII when I was about 16 but the pdoc I was seeing said he only did that because he couldn't yet diagnose me with BPD. I didn't get a true BPII diagnosis (along with a comorbid diagnosis of BPD) by a pdoc who actually believes that I have it until I was 22 or so. My hypomanias have definitely gotten worse since I've gotten older (I'm 26 now).

definitely much heavier on the depression side too (which is how i got the MDD label for years).  also as i get older the depressive episodes are longer and the hypomanias no longer have any pleasant emotions associated.

I feel like I answered this, but I see no answer.

My initial working diagnosis was MDD, but we knew it was working, we already suspected I was bipolar. I was put on Prozac, and got super manic, so the diagnosis changed to bipolar (in those days, that was enough, it could be med driven).

The majority of episodes I had during my teens through my early 30s were severe, year+ depression. Then I went into remission until I was 42. Now my depression isn't the horrible pit, it is more apathy, sadness, and moderate self-hate. And I more usually have irritable hypo, or dysphoric mania these days.

I was diagnosed with MDD for a few years (before I finally had a really bad mixed episode, and my pdoc was able to figure out the bipolar thing.)

Anyways, to answer your question... my meds help my moods a lot, but I still have more issues with depression and mixed episodes than with hypomania. Before the meds, my hypomania was (generally) longer-lasting than my depression, but it was far less severe. The depression was very bad. It would, on rare occasions, last for many months. That was very difficult. My hypomania would also last for moths sometimes, but I am the type of person who generally has happy/productive hypomanias, so that wasn't too terrible (spare the scaring off some of my friends with my behavior.)

I still have some issues with depression, but haven't had much in terms of hypomania since I've been on my med cocktail. Now my depression isn't as bad as it was before. I used to spend weeks/months in bed, not showering, not going out, and barely eating. Now I will generally just sleep more than usual, eat more than usual, and be in a general state of melancholy for a few weeks until the depression goes away. Sometimes I do get mixed states still, and those are much worse than the depression could ever be.

I just went to my pdoc today for the first time (beforehand my medications for depression were managed through my pcp). He thinks I may have a form of bipolar...and I'm still kind of in shock, though at the same time I really don't care what my "label" is. If he says I need a mood stabilizer because of how inaffective my antidepressants are, then hey. If it makes me better, yay!

But still. The stigma attached with bipolar. Apparently if I have this I have type 2, the type with mostly just depressive episodes. But bipolar disorder gets such a bad rap....almost as bad as eating disorders I think. Not sure how I feel about this.

• 1 year later...

Well when I was 14 they told me I had Borderline personality disorder an different doctors when they saw me said the same thing even up until my last hospital stay last May 2015 but since I've been seeing my doctor for about a year or so they changed it to bpd2 rapid cycling an when i got out of the hospital they had me in the mood disorder class 

Also I have mostly depressive episodes or mixed hypomania 

Depression is the hallmark of my illness, so I was mis-diagnosed as having MDD.

My hypo-mania tends to mask itself very well as being conscientious and productive, but it has never been euphoric. It wasn't until later on when I started having nastier mixed episodes, a bad reaction to anti-depressants, and some reckless behavior that I was finally correctly diagnosed with Bipolar disorder.