CrazyBoards.org

Waking up with SH images

You don't have to act on these images. I know how hard it is to restrain yourself once a strong thought passes through. You are not required to do it in order to get the images out of your head. 

I have tried mindfulness meditation (look it up, there's a ton of stuff online), taking a shower, calling a friend, curling up in bed with a blanket and not letting myself move, listening to music, drawing. The vast majority of the time I am successful, and these activities tend to take the images out of my head. They do go away. In fact, acting on these images is more likely to make them come around again than to go away.

I've had some nasty dreams about SH, they can certainly be disturbing. I try to just remind myself it was just a dream. I also have a document on my computer of a list about everything I hate about self harming. Mostly just mild annoyances, like the cost of gauze, but sometimes I look at that and the urge goes away. 

I've had some nasty dreams about SH, they can certainly be disturbing. I try to just remind myself it was just a dream. I also have a document on my computer of a list about everything I hate about self harming. Mostly just mild annoyances, like the cost of gauze, but sometimes I look at that and the urge goes away. 

I don't actually have dreams about it. It is just the dominant thought as I wake up and the image becomes clear as I am waking up and just stays with me. Idk, maybe it is dreams but doesn't really feel dreamlike. Anyway, considering annoyances helps me stop sometimes too. Thanks for the tip. :) 

You don't have to act on these images. I know how hard it is to restrain yourself once a strong thought passes through. You are not required to do it in order to get the images out of your head. 

I have tried mindfulness meditation (look it up, there's a ton of stuff online), taking a shower, calling a friend, curling up in bed with a blanket and not letting myself move, listening to music, drawing. The vast majority of the time I am successful, and these activities tend to take the images out of my head. They do go away. In fact, acting on these images is more likely to make them come around again than to go away.

Thanks for saying I am not required to do stuff. 

I've basically stayed in bed the entire weekend so I don't act on them. That works pretty well. :)