CrazyBoards.org

Can two people with MDD date each other? I am feeling suffocated already by his neediness. Is there a chance this will go away? We get along really well, and neither of us is depressed now. We understand each other like no one else could. What's the general consensus? Any personal experience? This was just a fluke. Neither of us knew the other had MDD.

It depends on the individuals.  No two people or relationships are alike, so it's impossible to say categorically that it can't work out.  But you are in the best position to assess your own relationship, because you know you and you know him better than any of us do.

I think there are quite a few people on this board who are in relationships with other people who have some sort of MI diagnosis.  But what works for one person may not for another, or vice versa.

Mine is a situational depression; his is long term. When I told him I was taking anti depressants and made it clear I didn't want anyone else to know, he went straight over to his mother's house and told her. He thinks we are soul mates now and I think I just can't trust him.

If it were me, and I asked someone to keep something I said quiet, but they went over and told someone right after that anyway, I personally wouldn't want anything to do with them anymore.  I wouldn't be able to trust a person like that, and wouldn't even start to get involved in a relationship with that person.

Well in general yes, two people with depression can date each other. Of course it depends on the individual and such. But I think it can work. I think you may face some challenges that other couples don't. What I have found personally, and I think this is true of any relationship, but especially ones with MI is that communication is key. After one of you has an episode of depression I always find it helpful to sit down and talk about it hen both of you are in a good frame of mind. Talk about what you two can do to help each other. If there were things that were said, understanding the events that happened and trying to find a trigger if there was one. One thing I have found is that when my boyfriend gets depressed and he has a nasty episode, he can get this very blunt, cold, calculating effect. And a lot of times he can be unknowingly hurtful because he is so blunt and he doesn't have any tact. I've learned when not to take these things personally.