CrazyBoards.org

Hi, 

I just joined and am new to the forum. Not only am I new to the forum, but I'm also new to Schizophrenia and psychosis. I'm 19, quite young. Last month my life was ruined, I was hospitalized because I was delusional and hearing voices. I'm a lot better now thanks to (a very low dose of medication. 2mg of risperdal), but my self-esteem is in ruins. The episode was very sudden and I lost my job because of it. Not only my job, but a lot of things.. It was my second psychotic episode. but the first time I was ever hospitalized for it. The first time I wasn't hospitalized, and took the whole experience very lightly. I thought it was a one time thing, but I was wrong. I thought I could just take some medication for a short period of time and it would go away. It did, but eventually it came back. How? Why? The me then didn't know I would be dealing with another psychotic episode. I thought I didn't need the medication, but I can't believe that I do. I don't even know why these episodes happened. Was it caused by the few times I smoked marijuana back in high school? I doubt it... Then, I just had a Major Depression diagnosis, but now since I was hospitalized I received a schizophrenia diagnosis. My parents and private doctor disagree with it. I'm able to function fine, and even when I was experiencing psychosis I didn't have any problems. Could it be an acute form of schizophrenia? I'm not hearing anything anymore...Whatever it is/was, I'm not sure how to pick myself up from this kind of thing, The first time I had an episode (or breakdown) was different. I was able to recover quite fast. I think the hospitalization traumatized me in some way. This whole experience has been devastating and I need someone to talk to or some advice. How does one pick themselves up after this kind of thing? What do I do? 

Edited by Lsg615

Hi, 

I just joined and am new to the forum. Not only am I new to the forum, but I'm also new to Schizophrenia and psychosis. I'm 19, quite young. Last month my life was ruined, I was hospitalized because I was delusional and hearing voices. I'm a lot better now thanks to (a very low dose of medication. 2mg of risperdal), but my self-esteem is in ruins. The episode was very sudden and I lost my job because of it. Not only my job, but a lot of things.. It was my second psychotic episode. but the first time I was ever hospitalized for it. The first time I wasn't hospitalized, and took the whole experience very lightly. I thought it was a one time thing, but I was wrong. I thought I could just take some medication for a short period of time and it would go away. It did, but eventually it came back. How? Why? The me then didn't know I would be dealing with another psychotic episode. I thought I didn't need the medication, but I can't believe that I do. I don't even know why these episodes happened. Was it caused by the few times I smoked marijuana back in high school? I doubt it... Then, I just had a Major Depression diagnosis, but now since I was hospitalized I received a schizophrenia diagnosis. My parents and private doctor disagree with it. I'm able to function fine, and even when I was experiencing psychosis I didn't have any problems. Could it be an acute form of schizophrenia? I'm not hearing anything anymore...Whatever it is/was, I'm not sure how to pick myself up from this kind of thing, The first time I had an episode (or breakdown) was different. I was able to recover quite fast. I think the hospitalization traumatized me in some way. This whole experience has been devastating and I need someone to talk to or some advice. How does one pick themselves up after this kind of thing? What do I do? 

Hi lsg - its a pretty cool place here and you will find lots of support over time if you stick around (I hope you do)....wow it really seems like you got the shitty end of the stick there, sorry about that! Losing your job must have been devastating for you, I struggle to work and I really want to so I get where you are coming from...

How/why did it come back? Well, I am no Dr. but it appears that you truly may have some kind of mental illness from what you describe... and of course your parents would find it hard to accept.... my family did... I'm thinking that you just need to take a breath, re-evaluate and take one day at a time just at the moment.... post on here lots, start a blog on here like many do to get your thoughts out... its a fucking piece of shit sometimes and this is the kind of forum where you can be as upfront as you need to be...

What can you do? Well, keep on taking your medication, seeing your Dr's, understanding that your parents will struggle... perhaps seeking another opinion if that will help, posting on here, engaging with therapy, pushing through...

Best to you xx

I sure know what it's like to lose everything. I was hospitalized for a year and lost my lovely apartment, my good job, my friends, my college career, and I almost lost the love of my life. Now I can't work or do school and am on SSDI. I have no friends. I spend most of my time in bed.

My advice to you would be to keep on trudging ahead! Don't let it get you down. Go to college or work if you can. You said you are functional so I hope you can. Keep good friends in your life. Don't give up! Do everything to get back into your healthy routine.

Pretty much what Cheese said. Make sure you have something to keep your attention, something that you're able to get involved with and really think about. Anything you get worried about should be taken up with your pdoc if it's advice you're looking for. If you just feel like you need a bit of support however, this place is pretty good for it.

It just takes time.. alot of time. Mine hit me a few years later than you and I lost my dream job, my apt., and my life in general. So I and many other people here understand what you are going through.

Tips? Baby steps. Work on getting your life back together one step at a time. Don't skip out on doctor visits.

Edited by dnautics