CrazyBoards.org

Trying CPAP. How long?

I saw my sleep dr again today and agreed to try a CPAP. My insurance will cover it over a dental appliance. Those are quite costly and can be as much as $6,000 she said.

She said it was mild and I'm going to start with a low pressure.

I am going to try a full mask that covers mouth and nose.

I slept 13 hours and was so freaking tired today. I just took a 2.5 hour nap and missed day treatment CBT group.

I hope this CPAP works.

How long do I have to wait until I see results? I hope it works fast. I am waiting on a call from the local CPAP store. It can take a while to see what my insurance covers, I was told.

My husband had results within a few days.  I could literally -see- a difference.  He was more alert, better rested, his posture was better, and he was in a much better mood.  It was actually really cool.

I'd say give it a week, and if you have to, take a sleep-aid to initially get to sleep.  This is worth it.

IT took me a while to adjust to my cpap machine at first.  I had trouble finding a mask I could tolerate.  I really used the warranty on my first mask, and got 3 replacements all under warranty!  Once I was able to sleep with it on all night long, it seemed to help my energy level within like a week or so. 

I got my new CPAP yesterday, and noticed that I slept better last night. 

Often your body will think you have a sleep debt and you will sleep and sleep and sleep and want to sleep more. Then after a few days you will become less tired and, as others have said, more alert. The tiredness will go away over the course of a few days. Hang in there!

• 2 weeks later...

I started my cpap with the chin strap.  i kept waking up, feeling like I couldn't breathe, and then i started procrastinating and not starting back.

Five nights ago, i tried it without the chin strap and it was so much better.  i have to do 21 nights in a row for at least four hours, and then it's mine.

i'm lucky because it is covered 100% by my insurance, as long as i do that within 90 days.  Does anyone else find all the cleaning and upkeep you're supposed to do a pain in the neck?  I do.  But it's worth it.  I know it's really good for me, but when I do take a nap, which I do much less frequently, and i don't use the cpap, it feels so good!!!

Oh well.  I'm glad people know how serious sleep apnea is  and don't think it's just snoring!

I'm not either.  And last night when I put it on it was like airplane jets blowing into my nose!!  I couldn't use it.  I had taken it apart and ran the parts through the dishwasher like they say to do.  I wonder if I somehow changed the setting.  I don't know if that is even possible, but I can't use it when it's this strong and that's the only explanation I can think of as to why it changed.  So I'll call the company tomorrow and see what is going on.

Frustrating!!