CrazyBoards.org

Medication options for rumination and getting stuck on repetitive thoughts?

I'm starting to realize that a major contributor to MI issues is a cycle of rumination and getting stuck on thoughts or feelings. I plan on discussing this with my tdoc and my pdoc. What are my medication options so that I can come into the pdoc's office and be ready to discuss with him those options? Should I add on a medication?

Currently on 20 mg of Prozac. 

Li

Should I add on a medication?

Like melissaw said, DISTRACTION.

25 mgs. of distraction, 10 times a day.

YOu have to jump out of the rut in the mind.

Phoenix gave that analogy and it stuck in my mind.

When you ruminate your mind is stuck in a rut like:

"what am I going to do in the morning, oh right, work, shit what about so and so, and then yeah, so and so, and then....blah blah de blah blah blah.

The other ruminator light saber I found is talking out loud to myself instead.

It works.

try this.

when you find yourself ruminating say the exact same words Out Loud.  It works.

RUminating is the worst killer in the world.

I have invalidated every wonderful blessing in my life with my A+++++ Ruminating.

I have a Blue Ribbon for Ruminating.

Talking to my self and the image of JUMPING out of the rut, has beaten back the Ruminator in me after decades.

Try this stuff first.

Talk to your tdoc.

Wait on meds.

my humble opinion.

I agree with water that you should wait on meds and try working on this in therapy instead.  Your therapist should be able to provide you with some tools to help stop the ruminating.  I know it sucks.  I wish there was a med that would make it stop.

The first step is being aware that you are ruminating.  Then you can take those thoughts and really examine them for truth.  It helps me to write the thought down and then write down things that counter that thought.

Best wishes to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been doing that too and I really need to stop. It is always about some horrible things that might happen in the future, such as death, etc. But I fill spend hours and hours researching this stuff and ruminating about it, and looking up various fatal ilnesses on the Internet. This is even at work or when I have other things to do. I am shy talking about these things with my therapist so what I think I will do is write a list of all my symptoms and bring it with me on my next visit. I am also taking an evaluation because they did not do that at the hospital.

Yeah, but what I try to do is distract myself with something else. The problem is my thoughts will always return to the obsessive topic even if I am watching TV or reading, or being at work. Right now I am on Invega for delusions. It seems to have helped with these obsessive thoughts but I still have them once in a while. The last one was lung cancer because I smoked a cigarette, once, when I was in high school.

it was hard for me to work on this in therapy before i went on meds because the anxiety was just too severe. if that's the position you're in now - the max dosage of zoloft was a godsend for me at the time and is still amazing for my OCD/general anxiety now. although - in my experience - bringing up med options to a pdoc isn't a very good idea. you can tell pdoc about the symptoms and ask about a med tweak and go from there. everyone is different.

working in both individual and group therapy is also a good option and can potentially help you tremendously depending on the origin/cause/content of your ruminations. i'd definitely highlight the issue during your sessions with your tdoc.

Edited by cosima

it was hard for me to work on this in therapy before i went on meds because the anxiety was just too severe. if that's the position you're in now - the max dosage of zoloft was a godsend for me at the time and is still amazing for my OCD/general anxiety now. although - in my experience - bringing up med options to a pdoc isn't a very good idea. you can tell pdoc about the symptoms and ask about a med tweak and go from there. everyone is different.

working in both individual and group therapy is also a good option and can potentially help you tremendously depending on the origin/cause/content of your ruminations. i'd definitely highlight the issue during your sessions with your tdoc.

^^In bold.  I think it depends on the pdoc.  The ones I have had always welcomed suggestions that I had, and would consider them (and sometimes prescribe them) based on what I've told them.

• 4 weeks later...

Clomipramine and Luvox are good for ocd.

I have never experienced a better medication for treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than Clomipramine (Anafranil).  HOWEVER... something has happened within the past few years.  I used to be able to get a jar full of the medicine at any strength for next to nothing.  I have been trying to pin down a reason and my psychiatrist has even written our Congressman because for some reason the price for a fill of clomipramine (discovered in the early 60s) has jumped to $500.  Check the price on [edited out name of online pharmacy].  It is absolutely ridiculous.  The good news is that if you tell your doctor you want to try it -- and I think people who have OCD really bad should at least try it -- [edited out suggestions for illegal activity].  You can get one hundred 50 mg capsules for $37 at North Drug Store.  You're looking at about $800 for that quantity (yes, generic) and strength if you buy it in the US.  I highly recommend clomipramine for OCD though -- especially the obsessive thinking.  I can say enough in praise of it (get some Miralax though, because the constipation is bad).

I take Abilify.  It does wonders for my truly epic amount of rumination and obsessional thinking which verges on paranoia when you get to the social aspects of the world.  It's a heavy hitting med for me, though, and when my mood is less mercurial, I plan to go off it.

I totally get this. I get so stuck on repetitive thoughts sometimes. I can actually feel my head hurt because of the intensity of the repetition. I can't move on or think of anything else.

Luckily meds have helped me not have this happen so often. I've had OCD since I was a kid. I'm not sure which of my meds has helped but I'm pretty sure it's one of my AAP's or Effexor Xr.

Good luck to you!