CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro and Caffeine

Been on a lexapro about 2 months now and am a big coffee drinker and notice now I don't feel the effects of caffeine nearly as much as I used too. Because of the emotional blunting effects of Lexapro I need the jolt of caffeine now more then ever. Am I no longer feeling the effects of Caffeine because Lexapro is a mild dopamine inhibitor or is there something else going on? Lexapro has def helped with my depression/anxiety but I feel completely flatlined on it. No enjoyment in anything what so ever.

I Googled it and it doesn't look like Lexapro and caffeine have any interactions.  I am on Lexapro myself and am an occasional caffeinated pop drinker (I've never had coffee) but really haven't noticed any difference, but caffeine has honestly never had an effect on me.

According to some sources because Lexapro is such a selective SSRI it actually inhibits dopamine as well. My theory on why coffee isn't effecting me is because my Dopamine receptors are blunted and not responding to the caffeine. Granted I still feel it a little bit just not getting the proper jolt I should be getting. I could be wrong about this but it's just my theory.

I may need to add something activating to my lexapro like wellbutrin or abilify if this continues.  BTW How is 30mg of lexapro working out for you? did you feel a big different between 20 and 30? 

I was on 15mg for about a month and then my doctor upped me to 30mg.  It's hard to say if I feel different because when I was at 15 I was working and the job made my depression a lot worse.  Now at 30mg I am not working at all, so I don't know if it is the meds or the fact that I am not at my job that is making me feel better.