CrazyBoards.org

Work Accommodations

Does anyone here get some sort of work accommodation? 

On Friday, after being asked (told) to work OT (I only needed an hour, thankfully), boss mentioned offhand "we work Saturdays around here." I responded with "yes, I've noticed." I've been on the job a month and haven't been told to come in on Saturdays yet, and this was the first I'd worked any OT. Fridays are the worst days for OT, for me. I'm already exhausted from the week.

I can't work more than 40hrs/wk on a routine basis. It's all I can do to work those 40. I can't do 9hr days like my colleagues seem to. I can't work an extra 6 hours on Saturdays. That is a fast way to the black hole. I don't know if this is because I'm not quite stable (though I'm a helluva lot more stable than I've been in a few years), or if I just... I dunno. I feel like once upon a time I could've done it. Permanent damage due to MI?

Is this something anyone else has run into? Should I even talk to pdoc about it, or am I just being lazy? Is depression covered under disability protection laws? It feels like an excuse. My pdoc wished at one point that I'd been able to start working part time before increasing to full time. I didn't ask for that (wouldn't have at a brand new job), though I can see how it would've been beneficial. Work is hard (which feels lame to say when I sit at a computer all day). 

I'm sorry you're dealing with this and I understand where you're coming from.  You're absolutely not lazy, you have an illness.  Your desire to work only 40 hours is entirely reasonable and beneficial to your heath.

The bad news is that if you are in the U.S. you can be required to work overtime.  In fact, your employer can fire you for refusing to work overtime.  While depression is a protected disability under the ADA, courts have been finding that a 40-hour work week is not a reasonable accommodation: http://www.shrm.org/publications/hrmagazine/editorialcontent/pages/0402legal.aspx

This is not to say that you can't try talking to your employer and providing a doctor's note: many companies are hypersensitive about being sued and will make accommodations at the very mention of the ADA.  Also, you'll want to look into your company's policies re: overtime, as some have policies stating that they do not require overtime.  Unfortunately it seems that your employer is not required under the law to grant you this accommodation, and can discharge you for refusing to work extra hours.  You are not protected under the ADA in this area.

I know how hard jobs are to come by (I just found one myself after being out of work for some time) but you might consider looking for another one if you're not able to work things out with your current employer.  Your expectations are reasonable and you are NOT being lazy, you are taking care of yourself.  I wish you the best in this difficult situation.

I'm floored that ADA doesn't think restricting OT is a reasonable accommodation.

I was originally told the hours were a strict 7.30-4.30. I don't know why I haven't been told to do the same amount of OT, except that I'm new and a contractor (position is supposed to be contract-to-perm.)

I guess I will update my resume and contact some recruiters. Immigration issues will keep me at this job until I find another.

Thanks for your help and support, shells.

Edit - sorry for the double post! Must've done one on my phone and one on the laptop. Leaving this here for posterity.

This is not to say that you can't try talking to your employer and providing a doctor's note: many companies are hypersensitive about being sued and will make accommodations at the very mention of the ADA.  Also, you'll want to look into your company's policies re: overtime, as some have policies stating that they do not require overtime.  Unfortunately it seems that your employer is not required under the law to grant you this accommodation, and can discharge you for refusing to work extra hours.  You are not protected under the ADA in this area.

I know how hard jobs are to come by (I just found one myself after being out of work for some time) but you might consider looking for another one if you're not able to work things out with your current employer.  Your expectations are reasonable and you are NOT being lazy, you are taking care of yourself.  I wish you the best in this difficult situation.

Thanks for the educated response. Wow is that ever disappointing. A month in, I'm starting to like my job and not be completely overwhelmed just by showing up. It's a small family owned company. I can't imagine they have rules against or limiting OT. In fact, since it seems expected within my department, sounds like it's better I don't bring it up. 

Back to looking for work. Hopefully I can find something faster than last time (11 months). I won't quit, yet, but I don't know what else to do. The job just kind of fell into my lap and I was desperate. I had been told that work hours were strict, 7.30-4.30. I guess I assumed that meant limited OT. I'm on a contract-to-perm position, so I wouldn't bring up a disability until after I have the permanent position... but maybe I'll manage to find a position without this amount of OT. I don't mind doing some - it's the 50-60hr weeks day in day out that I can't do. 

What kinds of things does ADA cover, when it comes to MI?

Edited by Geek

I once turned down a job where there was mandatory paid overtime because they told me about it during the job interview and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle it.  I ended up taking a job where there was mandatory overtime that I wasn't told about during the interview, and I was a salaried employee, so it wasn't paid.  I ended up sticking with the job until I could apply for a transfer within the company to a job where there wasn't as much overtime. 

• 2 weeks later...