CrazyBoards.org

juvenile rheumatoid arthritis

water

Currently in the possession of a young man (17) who just now had an attack of his rheumatoid arthritis. The temps dropped, it came on suddenly and was horrific to watch, for me. I hate to see people in pain.

He cried out for Ben Gay and IcyHot.

He knows exactly what to do. Spent 3 weeks in hospital with the first outbreak at age 11(?).

They taught him a massage technique, and more importantly, what makes it worse when he has an attack.

I never knew of arthritis this way, as an attack.

This came on All Of A Sudden. I was a bit freaked.

He was not.

"I eat the pain."

There is really nothing he can do.

The attack was in his knee and he said it could move into the other leg.

oh god. He just wrapped his knee tight with our bandage wrap.

Anyone here have this awful awful thing?

What do you do when it attacks suddenly like this?

The boy has a medication. It is not filled. He said it makes it go away immediately.

He takes it only certain seasons and said this was an early attack.

THey will not give him more pills because the med (long name) is abused.

(This is probably in the wrong forum. Please help if it is. thank you modsquad)

:(

OKAY. NONE of this should be taken as medical advice.

I am no doctor.

I am not telling you to do anything.

I am offering pointers to things that might work, MAYBE, but I assume NO LIABILITY!

Got it?

I DO NOT have RA, I have a different immune problem-chronic sinus/allergies/asthma.

I know the stuff I take in huge amounts for my allergies-quercetin-is also taken by people with RA.

I buy NOW brand with bromelain, and take 9600 milligrams of that twice a day.

This is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. It really makes a difference for my allergies.  I suggest you read up on what RA people say about it.

Vinpocetine seems to help my sinuses and is a novel anti-inflammatory...the sinus relief I got from it was a total surprise, as I was trying it for foggy brain.

...It takes a while to build to dose though, I just noticed a few weeks after starting that I had a sense of smell...and that stops if I forget to take the vinpocetine for more than a couple of days.

I suggest you see if RA people have gotten any results from it.

I don't know if RA responds to NSAIDS, but if it does? Ibuprofen was my favorite.

I don't know if that is either safe or effective.

Now I have an asthma attack if I take Ibuprofen. :angry:

Neoprene knee braces feel REALLY good on swelling, but he's more familiar with this stuff than me.  I just know that neoprene will actually cause edematous swelling to sort of sweat out through the skin, which is rather gross but feels SOOO good when it's your edematous and pain filled body part.  I did a number on one of my knees once, they make neoprene knee braces...I wish I knew where I lost mine at!

Edited by Stickler

:(

OKAY. NONE of this should be taken as medical advice.

I am no doctor.

I am not telling you to do anything.

I am offering pointers to things that might work, MAYBE, but I assume NO LIABILITY!

Got it?

I DO NOT have RA, I have a different immune problem-chronic sinus/allergies/asthma.

I know the stuff I take in huge amounts for my allergies-quercetin-is also taken by people with RA.

I buy NOW brand with bromelain, and take 9600 milligrams of that twice a day.

This is supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties. It really makes a difference for my allergies.  I suggest you read up on what RA people say about it.

Vinpocetine seems to help my sinuses and is a novel anti-inflammatory...the sinus relief I got from it was a total surprise, as I was trying it for foggy brain.

...It takes a while to build to dose though, I just noticed a few weeks after starting that I had a sense of smell...and that stops if I forget to take the vinpocetine for more than a couple of days.

I suggest you see if RA people have gotten any results from it.

I don't know if RA responds to NSAIDS, but if it does? Ibuprofen was my favorite.

I don't know if that is either safe or effective.

Now I have an asthma attack if I take Ibuprofen. :angry:

Neoprene knee braces feel REALLY good on swelling, but he's more familiar with this stuff than me.  I just know that neoprene will actually cause edematous swelling to sort of sweat out through the skin, which is rather gross but feels SOOO good when it's your edematous and pain filled body part.  I did a number on one of my knees once, they make neoprene knee braces...I wish I knew where I lost mine at!

omg stickler, I am in tears.

this boy is limping, he is in so much pain and he just deals. Because he knows.

anyway, your suggestions rock!!! We talked about the neoprene wrap and the queroset whatever. These names. 

I'll research.

He said NOTHING helps the pain but it is inflamed so maybe the queroset stuff will work. 

Can I get it at Rite aide? It is open all night.

I need more icyhot. that seems to be working. 

I just wanted to say I'm sorry this happened to him!  If I was watching it happen I would have been freaked too.  I hope the pain went away fast.

thank you mellissa. 

it was good and then he did a stupid thing.

went outside.

I smacked him, lol.

you are supposed to stay in the same temp during a RA flareup. And it is cold outside tonight.

water ... I just thought of this, not sure if it would work, but thought I'd mention it anyway just in case ...

My mom takes glucosamine chondroitin for her joints and when she doesn't take it her fingers lock, and then she has to put them under warm water and massage them until them unlock.  And overall her joints are so much better when taking this.  She said she can definitely tell a difference if she doesn't take it.

He said in the car he could make money predicitng the weather.

gallery_5895_512_11081.png

put them under warm water and massage them until them unlock. 

the knee massaging which he was taught works. I asked about a hot shower and he said it could make it worse. It is best to keep it at a moderate temp maybe?

I have NO idea. All I know now is he is asleep. yay!!!

and so I am I zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you have a whole paycheck,er...whole foods? They may have quercetin, gnc carries some, swanky Kroger's may, health food stores may.

I order mine off Amazon, 'tis cheaper.

Please to note, I think I spend about $60 a month or so on buying the giant amount I take.

Ooh, I remember reading enzymes are anti-inflammatory, might see what they do?

RA, nasty stuff. Immune system attacking joint tissue.

Bless you Sylvan. I am looking in to it all now. It is so sad that no one, NO ONE, ever did this for the kid.

He is up and fine. He said this is how it works. He is cool.

BUT I am supposed to take him and my girl to a theme park tonight.

I will not if he thinks it will trigger another attack. and I was very very firm with him. I will let him go, because i have NO idea about RA, but he knows and he knows if he can get another attack.

If you have a whole paycheck,er...whole foods? They may have quercetin, gnc carries some, swanky Kroger's may, health food stores may.
I order mine off Amazon, 'tis cheaper.
Please to note, I think I spend about $60 a month or so on buying the giant amount I take.

Ooh, I remember reading enzymes are anti-inflammatory, might see what they do?
RA, nasty stuff. Immune system attacking joint tissue.

yes! I love OOH;s, I want to be an expert on JRA now. heh.

I just heard about the cold weather tomorrow morning.  In our area we have a freeze warning.  They said plants and all would most likely not make it through the night.

yes! I really really do not want them going to the theme park.

and my girl is sick, could be strep. so..no brainer, right? sigh...

His WHOLE family has it. what a fucking drag.

My right knee has just had a attack like this. I woke up the other day and was hurting all over......Than the pain centered around my knee and the doctor did an X Ray and gave me the strongest NSAID on the market......It takes time to build up but i see the doctor again in less than two weeks to determine if I need to go to the ortho doc.