CrazyBoards.org

Accidently discovering IU may have been suffering from depression

Hi all, first post here. Not sure if this is the right forum, mods feel free to move if it would be better suited elsewhere.

I am 27 years old have always suiffered from intermittent anxiety issues since I was a teenager, buit not enough to disrput daily life too much. Over the past couple of years, due to a number of very traumatic events, I have begun feeling depressed in ways, with low mood, emotional sensitivity, occasional suicidal ideation, OCD-like thoughts, etc. But again not enough to disrupt my daily life to any major degree, so I suppose I just got on with things and didn't think I had much of a problem. As such I have never been diagnosed with anything or received any treatment specifically for any mental health disorder.

One condition I do have though, is a severe neuropathic pain disorder called SUNCT (essentially massive stabs of pain in the face). I take a ton of medication to control it: 600mg Lamictal & 120mg Cymbalta, which just so happen to be medications used for mental health problems as well. The Lamictal I started first about two years ago and this had a positive effect on me mentally in terms of reducing my anxiety levels and stabilising my mood. I was very impulsive when I was younger with some quite bad substance abuse problems, now I am less impulsive and think things through a bit better, along with feeling far less desire to alter my state of mind through drink & drugs.

I started the Cymbalta about four months ago and this has had a hugely positive effect. Once I got up to the higher doses, after a while I realised I have never felt so happy, secure and content within myself in my entire life. I no longer assume everyone around me is judging me, or take small emotional responses from others far too harshly, have very little suicidal ideation, no longer obssessively go over negative events from the past thinking what I should have done better, the list goes on and on. I've even got a girlfriend for the first time in years!

This leads me to think my depression problem was rather more severe than I thought it was. I think I somehow managed to put the negative feelings to the back of my mind and force myself through life ignoring the ever-growing issues developing in my head. I have a family histroy of mental health issues as well. My mother is certifiably insane (I suspect biopolar or BPD, something in that area) but refuses to admit it or seek treatment, her mother was a severe alcoholic, plus her great aunt commited suicide at a young age. My father has also suffered from depression and been on ADs for the last ten years or so.

I wonder if anyone else has been in this position, and what I should do next? My first thought is to ask my doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist so I can get diagnosed properly, then see what they recommend. I've been ignoring this issue my entire life and now need to face up to it.

Edited by searching

I agree with Phoenix_Rising.  Talk to your doctor.  I imagine you have a fairly close relationship already seeing as you suffer a pretty serious disorder. Then learn all you can about how to fight depression.  Knowledge is power and even if you can't muster the will to use the coping strategies, at least you will understand that you will get through it.  Best of luck with the doc.

Thanks guys, I think you are right I should just go see a professional first. I've had counselling before which was helpful, but recent experience has shown me it would probably be a good idea to be on some kind of AD medication for the time being. I'm going into hospital for a few weeks soon to get some advanced treatment for the SUNCT, at which time I am going to be taken off all the meds to try out other things, so I will mention then how much they have helped my psychologically. Am a bit worried how much reboud depression/anxiety I'll get if I come off them, which they should be aware of I think.

I agree that talking to your doctor about a referral to a psychiatrist is a good idea. It often takes a while for a new patient to be seen by a psychiatrist so the sooner you get the referral, the sooner you can get in to see the psychiatrist. Psychiatrists are really the best doctors to manage psych meds because they have the training and experience. General practitioners can prescribe, but often they don't have the expertise to diagnose and treat MI.

Thanks guys, I think you are right I should just go see a professional first. I've had counselling before which was helpful, but recent experience has shown me it would probably be a good idea to be on some kind of AD medication for the time being. I'm going into hospital for a few weeks soon to get some advanced treatment for the SUNCT, at which time I am going to be taken off all the meds to try out other things, so I will mention then how much they have helped my psychologically. Am a bit worried how much reboud depression/anxiety I'll get if I come off them, which they should be aware of I think.

I would definitely make sure you tell this to the people taking you off your meds before they take you off of them.  I'd also hope they wean you off of them and not go cold turkey.

Good luck in the hospital!  I hope it really helps :)

I absolutely think that you should see a psychiatrist. They may not adjust your meds since you say what you have is working for you, but you also mentioned go off them soon. So it would be good to know in the future when they adjust your meds. ( I feel like that didn't make any sense, but I'm sleep deprived so who knows!)

You also mentioned how you had some anxiety. I remember reading in a book about depression, which I can't remember the name of right now, how anxiety and depression often occur together. A lot of times they are co-morbid, but other times one may be stronger then the other. So depression with anxiety tendencies or vice versa. He said that they were two fingers on the same hand in the body of mental illnesses.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, forgot about this thread for a while.

You're absolutely right MellyDonut, I think I lean more to the anxiety side but I guess one cannot exist without an element of the other. Interestingly enough, I've had a look at the report from my neurologist for the hospital admission and they are going to send me for a psychiatric evaluation while I am in there. This is because I filled in a 'HAD' form which I scored very high on. This is a standard questionnaire they give people here with various questions relating to depression and anxiety.

So I'm seeing one anyway, definitely a positive thing. Maybe I can find out what I have that I've been ignoring (often with bad consequences) for the past 15 years!

Edited by searching

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Currently lying in bed at the neurology hospital which will be my home for the next two weeks at least. I'm on a constant Lidocaine drip which is really helping with the pain, it's the lowest level it's been for months so I feel brilliant about that, which I'm sure is doing my mental health a world of good.

Having my psychiatric assessment either today or tomorrow. I'll post here how it goes, might be of help to someone here.

Edited by searching

Thanks Melissa. She didn't come today, so probably tomorrow.

I am stuck in a confined space for a matter of weeks here, I wonder how I will feel mentally after a while in here.

I hate being stuck in confined spaces.  In the beginning it doesn't bother me, but after a week or 2 I get antsy and not being able to leave sometimes makes me angry.  I just want to get out of there.  Usually though it is a sign for me that I am doing a lot better, and am ready to get out.

Do you have things to do to keep your mind busy?

It's ok so far, I've got a few things to entertain me. In my drugged up state I'm passing the time by playing some fairly simple video games, listening to music and people watching. There's other patients and nurses to talk to in the ward as well.

Probably having psych assessment later today. Could be in here a while!