CrazyBoards.org

Biotin now has a gum if you want to check that out. Sucking on candies helped.. like throat lozangers (sp?). What else helped me? cucumbers.. eating them constantly or like a veggie/fruit with a lot of water in it such as watermelon and other melons.

When I saw your title, I was going to suggest drinking a lot of water because that's how I deal with the dry mouth from my meds, i.e. I'm always drinking something, either water or coffee. But if that is out for you, I agree that sucking on hard candy can be helpful. Perhaps chewing gum if that is not too painful is another way.

I hope you heal from the surgery soon and start feeling better.

Wow I was about to post this same topic! I get dry mouth from multiple medications, and just yesterday my mate has been extremely repulsed by bad terrible breath. I don't know what to attribute it to!! She says it smells like rotten garlic. I do have a weird taste in the back of my throat but its not garlic-y. I rinsed with mouthwash first, then I brushed  my teeth real good, including the tongue, and then I rinsed again. No dice... she can't come within a whole 10 feet of me without feeling ill from the smell. Is this caused by dry mouth?? 

I'm going to try cough drops, gum, and those biotene products. I really need to get rid of this.. whatever it is.

Wow I was about to post this same topic! I get dry mouth from multiple medications, and just yesterday my mate has been extremely repulsed by bad terrible breath. I don't know what to attribute it to!! She says it smells like rotten garlic. I do have a weird taste in the back of my throat but its not garlic-y. I rinsed with mouthwash first, then I brushed  my teeth real good, including the tongue, and then I rinsed again. No dice... she can't come within a whole 10 feet of me without feeling ill from the smell. Is this caused by dry mouth?? 

I'm going to try cough drops, gum, and those biotene products. I really need to get rid of this.. whatever it is.

(in bold)  Yes, I think it can be fro some people.  For me it is when it happens.

I use sugar free lozenges to counteract dry mouth caused by oxybutynin (which I take for excessive sweating/post-meningitic dysautonomia).  I particularly like Halls brand (USA only, I think) vitamin C tabs, since the extra Vitamin C helps with my connective tissue problems [speculatively].

• 3 weeks later...

Ouch! I'm sorry you're in so much pain.

I sometimes use Biotene, which my dentist gives out coupons for. I generally just drink water.

If water hurts, what about soaking a sponge in water and putting it in your mouth and sucking on it a bit? They do that after surgery for some people. Can you try gingerale? After my surgeries I've had, oral or not, they've given me gingerale rather than water.

Crushed ice is an excellent idea. What about popsicles or Freezies?

I also keep candies to suck on when I have no water with me.