CrazyBoards.org

I'm posting this here even though my dx is BP/SZA (there's some debate; I meet the diagnostic criteria for SZA, my pdoc wouldn't disagree with someone who said I was, but he feels like I'm BP...okey dokey).

Lately I haven't had any psychotic stuff, but I've for the past 4 months or so been going through depressions lasting 1-3 days that aren't great - I sometimes miss work - low energy, can't get out of bed, but I can go for runs, there's nothing wrong with my physical energy, it's my mental energy that's lacking).  Sad, blah blah blah - just depressed.

But then they go away.  I either feel fine, or I feel - not UP, but damn good, if you know what I'm saying.  I just had my most productive quarter ever at work.  Despite all this.  

But there are certain days I just can't deal.  

I'd say this happens every few weeks.  

I don't think it's totally related to my period, though my husband thinks I get moodier around my cycle, but that may be it's just part of this larger cycle.

What's up with this?  I'm used to depressions lasting longer.  I read something about short depressions being a diagnosis in Europe, but not in North America.  

I see pdoc tomorrow and am going to discuss with him.  But input is welcome.

This happens to me too, but I attribute it to the ups and downs of MI.

Maybe.  But the depressions are SO much more intense!  I get downs where I can still function, but these are BAD.  Maybe it's just a change in my MI, I dunno.

About 8 months ago I raised my Latuda to 80mg to ward off a wee bit of depression, but that was a normal depression, acting normal.  I don't know if I need a med change or what.  

Ok just look around jus relax just enjoy life sometime life can make you miserable it because it peoples try to fucked u up.

Scum, are you trying to troll?  This was not a helpful response.  In case you were not aware, telling someone to "just relax and enjoy life" does not help them and tends to just piss them off if they're actually depressed.

ETA: 

Jarn, it's good to see you around again.  I wondered how you were doing.  I'm glad you haven't been psychotic.  

Edited by koa
  • Like 1

Jarn I am BP, and a rapid cycler. I can run through intense moods very quickly and in various time frames. Days, weeks, months.

Previously, prior to this past June I was a more normal, long long depressions.

Something changed.....not sure what, but my pdoc is working with different meds to try to bring it inline.

It's not fun

Jarn! Good to see you, friend! I'm sorry to see you feeling bad, though.

I think I might know what you're talking about. I've been mildly depressed for the last while. Some days I function okay: can do things, hold conversations, getting out of bed is pretty easy. But some days are just not. I don't want to get up, it's hard to keep my head together, I have no appetite. I'm still functional, it just...sucks.

Do you think this is something a med tweak might help?

For me, I think some of it might be situational; on days when I'm most functional, I sometimes find that the next day I wake feeling low again.

Mim!  :)

At first I thought it was low-grade depression breaking through, but there are times afterwards that I am just flying at work, everything's snapping, I feel GREAT.  I wouldn't say hypo, but I dunno.  

Dragonfly, yeah.  It's weird how I've had a shit year - I had a breakdown in the winter (psychotic) and missed about 3 weeks of work, off and on, some of it doctor-ordered - I think I disappeared from here around that time - and yet I've done great at work.  It's weird.

Maybe.  But the depressions are SO much more intense!  I get downs where I can still function, but these are BAD.  Maybe it's just a change in my MI, I dunno.

About 8 months ago I raised my Latuda to 80mg to ward off a wee bit of depression, but that was a normal depression, acting normal.  I don't know if I need a med change or what.  

I think it would be a good idea to ask about a med tweak and/or change.

Ok just look around jus relax just enjoy life sometime life can make you miserable it because it peoples try to fucked u up.

This is a completely unhelpful response. Please don't do that again.

• Like 1

I get this. I think they are triggered by trauma. I call them PTDD. Post Traumatic Depression Disorder.  Usually they last one day, sometimes two. 

At first I thought my meds needed adjustment. But the meds took care of my 'depression' EXCEPT for the depression flashes. Which is what I call them since a depression that lasts a day or two is really a flash. Sometimes mine last much less time. I have been meaning to make a topic on this for months and months. Thank you Jarn!! 

have to go to work, be back later....

I get short depressions within a mixed episode. Rather than having the symptoms of mania and depression occur at the same time, they can alternate quite rapidly. Sometimes they last only a matter of hours, but usually they last a day or longer. If it goes on too long, I'll get stuck on one state and things will intensify until a complete meltdown occurs. Then there will be a period of relative calm before the whole cycle repeats.

I get short depressions within a mixed episode. Rather than having the symptoms of mania and depression occur at the same time, they can alternate quite rapidly. Sometimes they last only a matter of hours, but usually they last a day or longer. If it goes on too long, I'll get stuck on one state and things will intensify until a complete meltdown occurs. Then there will be a period of relative calm before the whole cycle repeats.

That's is me to a tee.

I would track your moods and be especially mindful of the changes that occur around these short depression bursts.  They might be related to your menstrual cycle as ovulation can make a woman feel quite out of whack.

Great idea!  Also when they start, what happened?  What were you eating? Doing? Thinking? Ruminating?

Maybe keep a Short Depression Journal. SMall notebook or calendar you can jot down quick thoughts. Also note your ovulation, menstrual days.

How am I supposed to know when I ovulate????

I've never been period moody before, and I'm on the pill, so I don't think that is it. It happens all over the place, but only for the past few months.

It doesn't make sense to me that I'd suddenly have hormone mood swings.

Hmm. I'll mention the possibility to pdoc.

I usually struggle on waking up and sometimes just give up entirely, sometimes I try to make it throughout the day - sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I also get high anxiety with it, but that's normal for me.