CrazyBoards.org

Brenndo, I can appreciate that your experience is that you had little to no interest in sex or a decreased sex drive while you were taking some of the medications you were taking.

And I also feel like your comment, the way it is phrased, could feel pretty invalidating for people who are actually asexual... not due to meds... not due to mental illness... not due to abuse, etc... just because they legitimately are asexual... and it's not a problem.

The problem really only is people's attitudes toward asexuality as though something is "wrong" with being asexual.

Nope.

Just another variant of human sexuality... perfectly normal.

I particularly like the point that being honest about asexuality IS NOT an invitation for people to criticize or micro manage. I don't need help finding someone. I'm fine, thanks. And I don't need to be comforted with the assurance that I'll "find someone." *Sigh*

I can't count the amount of prude-shaming that I've experienced. It's why I'm fundamentally uncomfortable at Pride events. Because, historically, the flaunting was to say "hey, if this [flaunting of sexuality] bothers you, then you're a -phobe!"

But I'm not. I'm so not. 

This is a great explainer. I love it!

I am not asexual, but I'd say that I'm closer to that end of things than the average person. I experience sexual attraction very rarely and only under certain specific circumstances (been attracted to a grand total of three people in my lifetime, woo). I've definitely experienced the "you PRUDE" end of things. It's as if some people think sex-positivity means that nobody's allowed to have boundaries. The whole point is that everybody should be able to have their own preferences and do what they like without judgement or pressure, right? Sigh. 

Anyway, love the comic. 

I've never been able to bring myself to attend a Pride event. I'm open about being asexual, but I know my family for one assumes that I'm really gay and unwilling to admit it. They at least try to be nice about it, and they've been tolerant, but they don't really listen. At least one of my siblings thinks it's just because I'm mentally ill, and that once I'm "better" that will change.

Thanks for the post. The Salon article, too.

If a food smells delicious to everyone else but bland or bad to me, I don’t owe anyone the demonstration of actually eating it before I’m “allowed” to say I don’t want to eat the dish.

I love this.