CrazyBoards.org

How to accept your Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective diagnosis

I've just been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and I'm struggling to accept it. How did you guys finally accept your schizophrenia/schizoaffective diagnosis?

And see, also, even now, I'm doing so well and my brain is thinking, "Oh, maybe I don't have paranoid schizophrenia. I should just go off my meds and get on with my life."

Edited by pearlzandlace012

I still haven't really fully accepted my Schizoaffective diagnosis, I don't think, and I was officially diagnosed about three or four years ago. I know there is something wrong, but I struggle with accepting it and staying on meds. 

I get that you feel you are better and don't want to be on meds, when you feel better. That is common in people with Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective. Try to think back to when you were symptomatic, and how you felt then, and then you will know that you DO need your medication. Best wishes to you!

For me my diagnosis explained 20 years of suicidal thoughts and hallucinations/delusions.  I was relieved that someone had given me a Dx that made sense.  6 inpaitient stays only went as far as saying "Major Depression w/psychotic features".

Learning that you have a chronic illness with no cure is a real bummer in many ways, but meds and a very good Pdoc have helped.

The worst part for me, in the long run, is trying educate my family and friends about my Schizophrenia.  The stigma reaches every person on earth and is hard (or impossible) to escape completely. 

I didn't accept the SZA diagnosis at first because I didn't want the label of being SZA.  Over time though I came to realize that it explained everything.  I was getting into trouble (listening to the voices and not real life), ending up in psych hospital admissions, etc, and something eventually "clicked" with me that I did have a serious problem.

Getting my dx felt "comfortable" like yup, that's the thing that explains what's been happening. However, I wasn't always so accepting, a year ago I had a pdoc and tdoc tell me that they found my psychosis "concerning" because I was "at that age" e.g. the onset of schizophrenia. It wasn't until a year later that I got the SZA diagnosis so I did have one year where I denied it like crazy. It wasn't until I did so well on antipsychotics and did so bad off of antipsychotics that I was like "hmm maybe they're all right about this."

Actually, I did just what you are tempted to do: I got off my pills with the intention of getting on with my life.

It has been years since first being diagnosed, and I have allowed my denial to keep me from getting the help it has turned out I needed. I just wish I had gotten on the treatment track when I was much younger; my life makes much more sense with a reasonable dx and the appropriate meds.

Give the meds a chance. They aren't perfect, but they tend to be better than going it unassisted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not accepting it but for the time being I have to have these injections while living with my parents. I got this diagnosis at the hospital but my counselor is skeptical of this diagnosis and thinks it might be OCD. But whatever it is put me in the hospital twice so it is definately something. I really do hate these injections though.