CrazyBoards.org

Anyone else have a hard time keeping their place clean and get overwhelmed easily when trying to clean? Anyone have suggestions on how to get myself to clean my apartment and not be so easily overwhelmed?

Anyone else have a hard time keeping their place clean and get overwhelmed easily when trying to clean? Anyone have suggestions on how to get myself to clean my apartment and not be so easily overwhelmed?

Anyone with depression have the same problem? I need to get my apartment clean in 3 days because they are going to come in and install a new toilet.

yes yes yes yes.  

First of all, you can only clean what you can clean if you have a deadline.  Drop your standards a bit for deadlines.

THese are my suggestions for cleaning over time.

1. Do NOT beat yourself up.

2. Trust that you WILL clean.

3. Break it down. Clean in bits and bites

4. Start with what is grossing you out the most

What gets me is that I am a clean freak who does not clean. Eventually I go on Cleaning Frenzies. I'll take one room and just do it all. Very well. This makes me so much happier than cleaning a little bit in every room. I feel much better when I can clean to my own standards.

I was forced to clean for 7 people as a young child. Ironing, dishes, laundry, vacuuming, diapers, and on and on.  Recently I realized that my cleaning neurosis come from that house. But I Am NOt Living In That House.  So when I change the framework cleaning is fun. I like to clean.

I cannot have cleaning ladies in my house anymore but I am disgusted with certain parts of my house. I have a kid. I clean the disgusting parts. They get disgusting again. This is the other VERY important caveat - what you clean will get dirty again. This is life.

Letting myself enjoy the cleaning by only doing it when I have lots free time, starting with rooms/tabletops/dressers I want to do. Ignoring the other stuff but knowing deep inside it will get done.

Sorry for the rant. I am posting and running. No spell checkie. 

I can sympathize and totally relate, as I also have this problem. Don't try to tackle it all at once. Break it down Into small pieces and tell yourself that you're just going to do one thing. So you might start with decluttering and cleaning the countertops. Or vacuuming the living room. Or mopping the bathroom floor. Or dusting. I often end up doing more than just the little bit, so vacuuming the living room becomes vacuuming the whole place, or at least most of it. Then rest and schedule a time to do another thing. If you break it up into 10-15 minute chores and then schedule them throughout the three days, you should be able to get it done. Also, try not think about the whole enchilada; just focus on the one chore and then you can feel good once you've completed it. And only focus on areas that will be seen by the plumber. So close the bedroom door and draw the shower curtain. If you have a problem with clutter, you can box it up temporarily and/or move it to a room that won't be seen by the plumber, like the bedroom or a closet. I would start in the bathroom and prioritize: 1) toilet; 2) floor; 3) sink , countertop & mirrors; and 4) tub/shower (or close shower curtain). Then move on to the areas between the front door and the bathroom, breaking them up into small chores. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed that I have to break things up into even smaller pieces, like emptying the dishwasher or taking out the trash. It may not be much, but at least something is being done.

I'm with Flash on this. It's the only way I can get anything done when it's all overwhelming. I can do small, short tasks with clearly visible results. I like Flash's suggestion on how to clean the bathroom. It's exactly how I do mine. Do one bit and then take a break, do something nice for yourself, make sure to tell yourself good things! Then, after 15 or so minutes, go back and do the next step. Rinse, repeat. You'll be surprised how quickly the bathroom gets clean... and it gives you a concrete thing to practice positive self-talk on (that's a hard thing for me to find/notice). Two birds one stone!

You can do it! Let us know how it goes, we're here for you.

Get easy things. Like swifter and swifter dusters. And those Lysol wipes. Scrubbing bubbles toilet cleaning disposable products. That's what I do. I never cleaned out apartment but I'm trying so hard to keep our twin home nice.

^^ Me too.  The Lysol wipes are the biggest help to me and save me in paper towels and (whatever) spray I used to spray on to clean the surfaces.

I agree with Flash on the vacuuming.  Doing one room at a time, I figure I already have the vacuum cleaner out so might as well do the rest of the apartment.

I like the Lysol wipes for the bathroom. In the kitchen I use Windex touch-ups. You can use a rag or paper towel, press on the pump a few times, and then clean the counters and stove. Helpful hint In the kitchen: stand the dish scrubber sponge upright against the sprayer thingy or the dish soap dispenser. It,ll dry out that way and not get gross nearly as fast. You can also put it in the dishwasher or microwave occasionally if you want.

You have some great advice here! I struggle with this so much too. I start with the really big obvious stuff. Any huge piles of mess, or washing that has to be put away (I fold while I watch something on telly to make it seem less of a chore). Once the majority of the mess is put away, I vacuum. It's amazing what a clean floor can do to make the place appear cleaner than it is.

I also am a bit of a dodgy cleaner. If you don't look too hard my place often looks clean. But it's not. Things like blinds never get dusted, the kitchen cabinets are often in need of a wipe over (the benches are okay) and don't even think about looking behind anything, I promise you, there are dust bunnies as big as me behind there!

Once all those are done I'll usually tackle big yucky things in big rooms like the shower or the toilet. The next day I'll wipe the sink and do the mirror. The day after the bathroom walls etc etc. Just stick with one or two things at a time and if you need a an hour or 2 break in between tasks, take it :)

Yep. I can't keep my place clean no matter what. If I try to start cleaning, I'll get one little area super clean, and then get lost for hours super-organizing one drawer or something like that. 

Best thing I can do is just give myself 20 minutes to clean like a mofo. Just pick up EVERYTHING and throw it in boxes, and put the boxes in a closet. I almost never need most of the stuff that is lying around anyway. 

, I'll get one little area super clean, and then get lost for hours super-organizing one drawer or something like that. 

Oh I hate that! I do that too. Then I look around and haven't really managed to do anything at all because I was stuck on this one thing for an eternity!

Yep. I can't keep my place clean no matter what. If I try to start cleaning, I'll get one little area super clean, and then get lost for hours super-organizing one drawer or something like that.

Best thing I can do is just give myself 20 minutes to clean like a mofo. Just pick up EVERYTHING and throw it in boxes, and put the boxes in a closet. I almost never need most of the stuff that is lying around anyway.

The problem is that those boxes start to accumulate over the years. I have over twelve years' worth of crap that I decluttered by boxing up. Now I don't have a basement to store them in, so I have them in a storage facility that's really close. Someday I'll get around to going through all that shit, but for now I have bigger fish to fry. Edited by Flash

Yes, i have an awful time motivating myself to clean, i clean my kitchen once a week and the bathroom once a month, you'd be surprised how dirty it can get in that time, plus there is around two years worth of clutter and general rubbish piling up EVERYWHERE. If i saw someone else living like this, i'd probably judge them as lazy.