CrazyBoards.org

Antipsychotic(zyprexa) and alcoholic beverage?

be careful    zyprexa can lower the seizure threshold   as can alcohol

I learned the hard way   - that too much alcohol on top of antipsychotics   = seizures sometimes  (i' also went a long time  with no seizures and started reacting all the sudden)

so If you have seizure issues you want to be really careful - and just skipping the dose is not going to protect you

AAPs can magnify the intensity of alcohol. It can also do the opposite and make it so you don't know how much you've drank. 

Generally speaking, you will be fine to drink, regardless of how much you drink. There is always a risk. I would keep the alcohol consumption at a minimum.

It's up to your doctor. Mine knows I have the occasional beer and I'm on a lot of meds.  He doesn't advocate it, though. Special occasions only. 

A pharmacist would be able to help you too.

When I have a drink or two I do take my meds as scheduled. I used to drink more heavily and always took my meds. Hangovers from hell!

For the love of god, don't drive.

I don't drink for personal reasons (my sister is an alcoholic, and I have a history of drug addiction), but even if those reasons weren't there, I just don't think it's particularly smart to put alcohol on top of psych meds.  I agree though to check with your doctor, because s/he knows your history and may have something different to say.

I've had different doctors say different things. Some have said that an occasional drink is reasonable as long as I don't drink heavily or make a frequent habit of it, others that even that is not okay. My experience with Zyprexa has been that I am very sedated with even just a couple drinks in my system on top of it. Definitely ask your doc, and I would strongly advocate that you do your drinking at home, where you don't have to drive anywhere.