CrazyBoards.org

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspectives/articles/stronger-than-dirt-ocd-and-contamination1

Does anyone have a fear of contamination from rotten meat and then when they have this do they not eat the meat? Also if you try you just throw it up

Like to know if i am not the only one with this obsession of contamination.

Appreciate any response!

Also a link for anyone with Pure-O http://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/files/understand-pure-o.pdf.pdf

Edited by CherryBlossom

Do you mean you are obsessed that meat you have for your meals may be off? If so then yes. I grocery shop daily because if I buy meat for the day after I'm petrified it's gone off while in my fridge (which is ridiculous because my fridge is a few months old). Even if it's in it's useby date, if there's any hint of a smell or I think something about it isn't 100% okay I don't trust it.

Generally I will get a 2nd opinion and make my husband check it to be sure it smells okay, but then, even if he says it is, I cannot convince my brains it's alright and I'll often cook it but not be able to make myself eat it in case.

I guess I'm more petrified of food poisoning than contamination of my meat.

I don't eat leftovers either. Things that should be okay to be kept for 3 or 4 days I'll very occasionally be able to eat the next day but that's as long as I keep them. I don't eat frozen leftovers either even though I know they should be okay.

I worry about deli meats as well. I'll eat them the day I buy them but sometimes I think that they're not cold enough when I get them home and then can't eat them, sometimes I think once they've been in the fridge for 24 hours it's time for them to go.........

Do you mean you are obsessed that meat you have for your meals may be off? If so then yes. I grocery shop daily because if I buy meat for the day after I'm petrified it's gone off while in my fridge (which is ridiculous because my fridge is a few months old). Even if it's in it's useby date, if there's any hint of a smell or I think something about it isn't 100% okay I don't trust it.

Generally I will get a 2nd opinion and make my husband check it to be sure it smells okay, but then, even if he says it is, I cannot convince my brains it's alright and I'll often cook it but not be able to make myself eat it in case.

I guess I'm more petrified of food poisoning than contamination of my meat.

Well isn't eating spoiled food just gonna lead to food poisoning. So yes eating contaminating food to me is poison.. 

Like i had two incidence this week with chicken....first was a chicken and i was defrosting it. The skin to me look very thick.. so i didn't eat it because i thought it was some deformed/genetically altered chicken. But, when my ma looked at it the next day.. She was like this chicken looks fine... and when i walked over i have no clue why i thought the skin was so thick.

Then 2nd incident was with breast cutlets i was washing them and i kept thinking about cat meat in formaldehyde... and i thought it looked yellow. My ma said it didn't look yellow and it looked fine. So i cooked it anyway but i couldn't eat it and when i tried... i gagged. But, everyone else ate it and was fine.

Ugh. That article was like reading the inside of my brain. 

I also have the fear about meat. I'm always excessively worried that any meat I have has gone off, I'll sniff it over and over and worry that I can't tell if it smells bad. And if I cook it myself I obsess about not cooking it well enough to get rid of all the germs. 

I actually just straight up can't keep or cook my own meat. I can never cook it well enough to assuage my anxiety, so I'm always completely freaked out and miserable whenever I try. I just eat out a lot to get my meat fix. 

I sometimes don't believe that i have OCD at times.. like it can't be real.. everyone thinks this way lol

I have a hard time eating meat off meds cuz of my OCD... it is like i just don't know what i am thinking, but i think of it as disgusting...as just contaminated...poisonous...a threat to my health. For some reason the only meat i can eat is fish and thanksgiving turkey. I have no clue why those are the exception. But, the way to get red meat (chicken and like beef), I have to go out to the restaurant. I can't handle it raw and then cook it because i just won't eat it. I feel like it fluctuates....like for a while i could eat all types of meat and then i get really bad OCD...and then i can eat any type of meat and then i get really bad OCD.

I love cooking.. it is my passion.

cold cuts... i usually have problems consuming too.. because if it has red parts in the ham (for example)... it makes me want to vomit.

Most of my contamination fears revolve around hair...hair being in my food. So i hardly consume any food when my OCD is bad because i usually end up digging through my food for hair and only taking two bites. And the @&#! up thing is... i always find hair in my food and it is not my hair.

Do you ever notice when your OCD gets extreme and lasts to that extreme for a long time you can get a bit delusional/psychotic?

I notice if i cook down meat to the point that it pulls apart.. i can usually eat it without flipping out lol.

Edited by CherryBlossom

I'll *usually* eat meat like if I am at my parents house for dinner (but that is rare these days), but I never cook it myself.  If I even smell meat before it is cooked, even if it is still good, I gag and WILL NOT TOUCH it.  I refuse to touch raw meat.  And I usually avoid the meat section in the grocery store because of the smell ... only go in it if I absolutely have to to get to something else.

So happy i am not the only one that has issues with meat because of their OCD.... Fya13 and Melissaw72 have an idea what thoughts go through your mind when you deal with meat?

also a link for anyone with Pure-O http://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/files/understand-pure-o.pdf.pdf

Edited by CherryBlossom

So happy i am not the only one that has issues with meat because of their OCD.... Fya13 and Melissaw72 have an idea what thoughts go through your mind when you deal with meat?

also a link for anyone with Pure-O http://www.ocduk.org/sites/default/files/understand-pure-o.pdf.pdf

I don't deal with (raw) meat.  I won't touch any meat, unless thoroughly cooked. I refuse to eat steak, even well done. 

In terms of thoughts that go through my head ... it is just disgusting and I don't want it in me.  The thought of having it in me makes me gag a lot of the time.  I'll eat turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas (a little), and a hamburger ONLY IF very well done.  Chicken sometimes, but HAS to be thoroughly cooked.  I do better if it is grilled.  A hamburger can't have any pink in it or I literally can't swallow it. 

I'm not sure really why, now that I think of it, other than it is just disgusting and it is ground up animal.  It doesn't bother me much unless I have to eat it (out of courtesy ... I'll have a little) ... then I'll think about it until eating it is over with.  But living on my own, I don't think about it much because I don't cook it/eat it.

But like I said, I will not touch it raw, and will only eat meat well done.  And if I do eat some it isn't a lot of it.

Well isn't eating spoiled food just gonna lead to food poisoning. So yes eating contaminating food to me is poison.. 

Like i had two incidence this week with chicken....first was a chicken and i was defrosting it. The skin to me look very thick.. so i didn't eat it because i thought it was some deformed/genetically altered chicken. But, when my ma looked at it the next day.. She was like this chicken looks fine... and when i walked over i have no clue why i thought the skin was so thick.

Then 2nd incident was with breast cutlets i was washing them and i kept thinking about cat meat in formaldehyde... and i thought it looked yellow. My ma said it didn't look yellow and it looked fine. So i cooked it anyway but i couldn't eat it and when i tried... i gagged. But, everyone else ate it and was fine.

No no, what I mean is I find that with ANY meat, I am paranoid that it is contaminated and spoiled. Even if it appears fine. I usually have to get other people to check it and even then sometimes I have problems with it. Much like you with the yellow chicken. Once I'm sure it's not okay for some reason, I cannot eat it, even if other people do.

I also have the fear about meat. I'm always excessively worried that any meat I have has gone off, I'll sniff it over and over and worry that I can't tell if it smells bad.

So much this ^^^!!!

cold cuts... i usually have problems consuming too.. because if it has red parts in the ham (for example)... it makes me want to vomit.

I notice if i cook down meat to the point that it pulls apart.. i can usually eat it without flipping out lol.

These too. The red bits in deli meat *shudder*

I think a good part of the reasoning behind my vegetarianism is because I hate feeling like I might eat contaminated meat... to the point where I used to get so anxious I'd have stomach problems, which I'd of course assume was caused by food poisoning. Whenever I used to work with meat in the kitchen I would scrub every surface, from my hands to utensils to work surface, with as many strong chemicals as I could, otherwise I couldn't sleep. It's so much easier with vegetables, even though logically I know I'm being ridiculous. Even when I'd eat a stew that had been cooking for hours I would still worry.

I can handle and prepare pre cooked meats like hot dogs or frozen chicken nuggets for others without problems. I just wash my hands afterwards. I refuse to handle raw meat, and if someone else in my house does, I follow them around the kitchen with a bleach rag, and make sure they don't dig in the silverware with raw meat hands. My family just rolls their eyes and tolerates me.