CrazyBoards.org

I hate seroquel.  It's only benefit is that I can determine when I fall asleep.  I've been on this godforasken medication for 4 years.  I now feel like I've had a lobotomy.  I can hardly think.  My thoughts are so foggy.  I feel like Mike Tyson could punch me in the face and I wouldn't feel it. 

My question is this:Has anyone switched from Seroquel to another medication and felt more like themselves? Any recommendations?

I hated Seroquel. Felt like I got run over by a locomotive on 200mg, 100mg, and even 50mg. Have no idea about the higher doses. Zyprexa is much better for me, but I only take is when I need it. I'm currently on Abilify, which gave me akathisia. Cogentin takes care of that, but Abilify doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm also not a fan of Seroquel and was on it for a rather long time, I also had problems with increased need for sleep, dullness, weight gain, lack of energy.... After that, I've been on both Depakote and Lithium as monotherapy and found both to be less much less dulling and sedating. I went off Depakote because it didn't keep manias under control well enough, but it was quite good for a while. Lithium has been working great for me, I have lots of energy and apart from some annoying side effects (thirst, some acne) it has been amazing. It is a slight bit dulling in a sense that my imagination is less vivid, but it is the only thing that ever treated suicidal ideations for me. From the short time I've been on it, I also suspect it does something for depression, though it's hard to say at this point. The first few weeks were quite terrible, so stick with it if you decide to give it a try.  

I'm not a doctor, so you should really discuss with yours, but from what I understand there are different medications that work best for different types of bipolar: Lithium being the go-to med for stereotypical BP1, Lamictal being better for BP2..... Your doctor should have suggestions what is most likely to work for you.

Good luck finding the right medication.

Edit: just a small addition, I was on Seroquel 400mg, which might explain the massive side effects I had. I'm not sure if going lower does anything.

Edited by rachael

I was on Seroquel for 14 years, 800 mgs the whole time. I've switched to Saphris and now to Abilify. Seroquel was a wonder drug for me for quite awhile but simply stopped being effective at controlling my psychosis. I only continued to stay on it because I had horrible insomnia without it. I came off it cold turkey (pdoc never suggested titration down which I found odd) and after a couple of weeks I was able to sleep.

I am really liking Abilify, was on it about 10 years ago and it wasn't so great back then but seems to be working really good this time around. Seroquel was good while it lasted and helped me sleep, too well I might add but it wasn't working for me and the sedation really never went away even after 14 years on it. I'm not sure what meds you've tried but definitely discuss this with your pdoc if you want to try a different med. it really is trial and error to find one that works and has minimal side effects.

Seroquel helps me sleep, I take it PRN. I know it can feel like you've got run over by a truck, though. Fortunately there are lots of options out there for AP's and AAP's.

Moving this to AntiPsychotics.

Seroquel XR at 200-300 mg has been a life-saving medication for suicidal depression and intense anxiety caused from OCD. However, I echo the struggle with sedation and weight issues. I have tried switching to both Abilify and Risperdal on separate occasions, both without success. Abilify caused restlessness and increased anxiety. Risperdal seemed to work really well or the first few weeks, but when I reached 1 mg, I had really serious agitation that I was unable to bear. I have ended up back on Seroquel XR.

Now that I've stabilized (something I can always count on Seroquel to help with), I am titrating up on Lamictal to replace the Seroquel. If I get anxiety and/or feel that Lamictal doesn't stabilize the way Seroquel did, I have permission from my pdoc to add Latuda (she gave me samples). Latuda seems like a good option if Seroquel doesn't seem to be beneficial; its also approved to manage the depressive episodes of bipolar disorder, to treat schizophrenia, and to stabilize moods in general.

I was on Seroquel and thought it was a wonder drug for me, but it was so sedating that I was drinking caffeine like mad just to avoid the fatigue.  The more caffeine I did the more seroquel I would have to take.  I ended up having anger outburst and being overly irritable.  I decided to hell with it I will get off of it.  They took me down to fast and it threw me into a MD episode.  I wouldn't get off the coach.  I didn't care about much.  Even a shower was a real feat.  I refused to take it to the degree I was taking it.  My doctor said that taking away the seroquel was like taking away my antidepressant.  I now take 25 mg to sleep.  The crap is just very sedating.  They need a drug that is not so sedating. 

Diagnosis BP II

Medicine Lithium 900 mg, Effexor 75 mg, Klonopin 1 mg, Seroquel 25 mg (maybe more if needed)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The word around here is that it's less sedating at higher does but that's purely anecdotal.  People have reported that it's less sedating at 600 or 800 mgs than at 300.  As always, YMMV.

I also find that the XR doesn't make me drosy or sleepy but the IR does.