CrazyBoards.org

I've been having severe anxiety and panic attacks lately due to being unemployed, but I've been having nearly daily panic attacks for the past five years or so, it's just been worse lately.  I'm diagnosed with depression, not bipolar or schizophrenic.

Yesterday I went to my pdoc at the county mental health center and he finally got just how anxious I am, and was upset.  I asked for medication and suggested Latuda just because my sister (a psych social worker) had mentioned it.  I didn't know what it was.  He prescribed that and 3 mg Klonopin! He didn't have any other ideas for medication, just what I suggested.  I actually wasn't looking for benzos because I'm already prescribed that through a clinic.  The mental health clinic previously wouldnt prescribe benzos, so I was afraid to tell my pdoc.  I may be having daytime or rebound anxiety from the Ativan already, and I'm afraid to switch, but that's another story.

I asked my pdoc how to take Latuda, he said "Who cares?" He doesn't think I'm curable, so he won't give me basic information.

I didn't know Latuda was a pure antipsychotic and he didn't tell me. I've been on Seroquel and as far as I can tell it did nothing except make me hungry, and right now I can barely afford to eat as it is. 

So I looked it up online and it turns out Latuda is ONLY prescribed for bipolar and schizophrenia.  It doesn't even seem to be prescribed off-label for anxiety.  And I asked some people in chat here who are bipolar and they said it made their anxiety WORSE. And you have to take it with 350 calories, and I cant guarantee that I can do that all the time.

I don't know what to do. I think he only prescribed it because I brought it up. I can't afford to be any hungrier or more anxious than I already am.  I don't think I should take it at all.  What do you think? Does it make you more anxious? Should I even think about taking it when I'm not bipolar?

I can't believe he said "who cares." That's incredibly messed up. Especially since there are actually special instructions for Latuda. No wonder you have no idea if it's the right thing to do. I take Latuda mostly for obsessive ruminations - which my pdoc thinks are related to OCD, which is an anxiety disorder. And it helps incredibly with that. And the fact that it's prescribed for bipolar depression doesn't mean it wouldn't be helpful for unipolar depression. It may just not be as well tested for that.

But what you really badly need is a decent psychiatrist that you can trust. Are there any other options?

I think you need to go back to your pdoc and disclose ALL the meds you've been prescribed, as per Cheese's advice in your other thread.

Beyond that, my anxiety and depression are interlinked, and I find Latuda helps depression.  But - you need to work out the benzo situation before you can start worrying about this, IMO.

I take Latuda but only found a very mild help for anxiety or depression. I mostly take it because it hopefully it will ward off manic episodes and let me be on other antidepressants. But obviously these things are going to treat everyone differently. The side effects have not been bad at all for me.

I take it for bipolar depression, but being depressed makes me anxious, so it is helping my anxiety, too. It has been totally weight neutral in my case, thank god, because I don't have a lot of room for weight gain.

The hardest part is eating 350 calories all at once, OR forgetting I just had 350 calories so I could take the Latuda in the first place, and having to eat another 350 calories.