CrazyBoards.org

Chores/household duties...

Does anyone else get totally overwhelmed (even angry/anxious) when trying to do small household chores- cleaning, laundry, cooking...? I'm trying to make cookies. And then I had hoped to make some dinner for myself. I am barely making it through the cookies...fits of rage, anxiety...it's a mess.  I'm surprised I didn't break my arm with how hard I was punching the wall and the microwave.  I threw out a whole bunch of stuff that there was nothing wrong with...simply because I needed to throw things. And, I broke a bunch of stuff- again, because I needed to break things.  I am NOT an angry person...and now I can't even blame it on meds...I'm off most of my meds (but this is new; I've never been angry off meds before)...waiting to see my psych in a few weeks.  

HOW in the hell am I ever going to get my house back to a place where I would be ok with someone coming over if I can't do it without melting down???? 

I found using Flylady.net helped a lot, but try not to go into it too much. I have occasionally loaded myself up with routines when I feel great, then get overwhelmed by them when feeling crap. These days I have a very basic list, anything else I get done is a bonus. It is useful for me to have a routine I hold onto when I'm not coping so well.

YESS i totaly get this. A few days ago i was trying to make Rice for myself and my roommates and out of nowhere i just got this sense that i was doing it wrong because i kept forgetting the ratio to water and rice and i had the pot already cooking the rice and all of a sudden i just stopped it completely and threw out the rice because it felt to hard and i wasnt sure and i was shaking but trying to hide it from my rooomates just terrible but then i remade it and it came out okay but it was just random and i was so mad at myself and my stupid anxiety 

in the meanwhile

waiting for the pdoc appt

could you have in place

a punching routine that's more

hand/arm friendly

(say something more)

(soft specifically dedicated)

(to that purpose?)

and maybe

get some cheap plates

at a local thrift store

and have a designated place

to break them?

that way

the urge to punch

and break 

are made a bit more

safe

for you and your house

sometimes

when i need to throw things

i get out the

cats' toys

they have some felted animal print balls

that are soft

but bounce well

and also

a nerf-type ball 

to throw

I get completely overwhelmed too. And angry when things take too long. I don't get to the point where I throw everything out, mostly because I'm cooking for the whole family and they'd all go hungry if I did, but I've certainly wanted to and generally storm around swearing and saying things I wouldn't usually until I feel a bit better (it's amazing what saying bad words does for me!).

I'm another one who as long as the laundry is washed and brought in, the kitchen is tidy and dinner is on the table I am happy. Everything else is a bonus and usually only done on a good day.

Other ways I cope are by doing small and random bits of cleaning. I'll just grab a cloth and clean the mirror in the bathroom or dust the tv stand (doesn't happen very often). Then stop after that one thing and maybe try doing another quick task later on. Eventually it all gets done (or most of it, there are things in my house that haven't been looked at in years I must confess!)

Edited by Jessamine

I get overwhelmed all the time, but not angry. I only get anxious if there is a clock running. Only way I can get stuff done when I'm not hypo/manic is to break everything up into small pieces. Do just one thing for 10-15 minutes and then take a break. Don't worry about the rest. I often end up doing more once I've started, but it's not a requirement. Main thing is to get something done, no matter how small. Then do something else after you've taken a break. Doing this until one room is done rather than doing a little bit in every room seems to work better for some, but I often do it piecemeal fashion by type of chore (dusting, decluttering, vacuuming, mopping, etc.). Mopping — and vacuuming in the hard to reach places — is my main nemesis, as I have a bad hip, knee, and back. I usually put that off to the end, and they usually only get done rather half-arsed. Just enough to make the place look acceptable. When I'm hypo/manic, I just breeze through the whole thing at once until I'm done. And it's almost fun. Wish I could tap that every time I need to clean.

LesMis ... have you talked to your pdoc or tdoc recently about what is going on?

Sounds like you are not in a good place and having tdoc/pdoc to talk to would help. Maybe you need a med adjustment?

I have sort of filled in my tdoc. Maybe not as much as I should because I'm embarrassed by my behavior. It's not me. I honestly can't help it, though. :(

I need meds, in general. I was on lamictal, and that was a disaster. Made the rage worse. I fired my pdoc. I have a new one, but I can't get in to see her until Nov 13. So, until then, the only thing I'm on is Klonopin. :(

I'm glad it's not just me. Hearing everyone else's stories makes me feel better. Thank you.

(it's amazing what saying bad words does for me!).

OMG, me too!  It does really help.

I only get anxious if there is a clock running

Same with me ... if I feel under pressure to do something it really stresses me out.  I like to do things on my own time, and not have to have things done by a certain time.

Hang in there LesMis.  I know the 13th is 2 weeks away, but try to do your best to hang in there.  It sounds so frustrating (an understatement). 

You know, I just got to thinking, maybe if you tell your tdoc everything, s/he can get you in to see your pdoc sooner than the 13th?

(it's amazing what saying bad words does for me!).

OMG, me too!  It does really help.

Glad I'm not the only person storming around the house sounding like a sailor ;)

LesMis you have my sympathies. I waited 4 weeks to see a pdoc who ended up being an idiot and then a further 4 months to get the appointment I have tomorrow. It sucks when you need someone and no one is available.

I am NOT an angry person...and now I can't even blame it on meds...I'm off most of my meds (but this is new; I've never been angry off meds before)...waiting to see my psych in a few weeks.  

-When you say you are off your meds, how long have you been off? You also said that you werent angry "off meds". Are you saying that you were not angry if you stopped taking your medicine, or that you were never this angry before starting the medicine? The reason I ask is because of a possible "rebound" of your brain chemicals. When your body gets used to you having medicine to either balance or lower your brain chemicals, and the medication is stopped, your body will go through withdraws.

-Say a normal person's "brain chemical levels" are "5" for serotonin, dopamine, and other chemicals of the sort. A bipolar person would have an elevated number, say 7 or 8, and a depressed person would have a reduced number, say 1 or 2. When a bipolar person is prescribed medicine and begins taking it, their body gets accustomed to the medicine regulating brain chemicals instead of the body doing so. If they stop taking this medicine, which their body "needs", they have an extreme increase in their level of brain chemicals. These "withdraws" can cause someone's "brain chemical levels" shoot way up to 9 or 10. This can cause extreme aggression, hyperactivity, impulsivity, grandiosity, and much more. This may scare someone back into taking their meds again, for fear of the effects being permanent. In reality, these negative side effects should begin to diminish in weeks, and possibly even days depending on the amount of time you were on the medicine.

-In my opinion, if it is a problem with the meds, the best way to cope with your temporary side effects would be to:

1. Ensure a good sleep schedule, by either "settling down" or taking a melatonin supplement

2. Head up to GNC or a store-of-that-kind and find some natural amino acids that reduce dopamine production and have a calmative effect

3. Breathe. I know it sounds simple or ineffective, but in full-blown mania, or in a calm state, taking a breather can cool you down and get you thinking straight.

4. Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated. Also consider taking vitamins and eating healthy. This doesnt work as well as prescription medicine, and it is less noticeable. Having a healthy diet, though, replenishes the brain's ability to produce its own neurotransmitters, leading to a healthy mood.

-PM me if you want more info, and I apologize for the rant, but I just thought you'd like an explanation.

nkocevarPPS, your "advice" is irresponsible at best and potentially lethal at worst.

Don't you think that if the OP's problems could be solved by better sleep hygiene, some over the counter supplements, breathing, and general good nutrition they would have already done that and NOT be posting here?

Trust me...I've tried all those things...and others that weren't listed. I know meds are where it's at...but I just hate them and their side effects soooo much.

I see the new pdoc in a few weeks...hoping she's got some new tricks up her sleeve...

I get overwhelmed all the time, but not angry. I only get anxious if there is a clock running. Only way I can get stuff done when I'm not hypo/manic is to break everything up into small pieces. Do just one thing for 10-15 minutes and then take a break. Don't worry about the rest. I often end up doing more once I've started, but it's not a requirement. Main thing is to get something done, no matter how small. Then do something else after you've taken a break. Doing this until one room is done rather than doing a little bit in every room seems to work better for some, but I often do it piecemeal fashion by type of chore (dusting, decluttering, vacuuming, mopping, etc.). Mopping — and vacuuming in the hard to reach places — is my main nemesis, as I have a bad hip, knee, and back. I usually put that off to the end, and they usually only get done rather half-arsed. Just enough to make the place look acceptable. When I'm hypo/manic, I just breeze through the whole thing at once until I'm done. And it's almost fun. Wish I could tap that every time I need to clean.

You sound just like me. Breaking things into small chunks is the only way I can get anything done when I'm not hypo.

I don't get angry when I try to do housework, but I get anxious. I can also be a bit snippy and irritable if my partner tries to interact with me when I'm cleaning. I just hate it so much, and it feels like it takes forever. It seems that no matter how much I clean, there is always more that needs to be done.

However, when I'm hypo, I just breeze right through it without issue.

Making lists can help for me. And crossing off every little thing. For me, if I'm in a really bad state it can often help to have lists with really minor things (fold some laundry, put laundry in the washer, make a small meal, bring out the trash) and tick them off. It gives me a sense that I'm still in control and can actually achieve things. If this lasts for longer, you should definitely go see a doctor. For me, benzos often help calm me down enough that I can get out of such a state within days rather than slipping further into an episode.

3. Breathe. I know it sounds simple or ineffective, but in full-blown mania, or in a calm state, taking a breather can cool you down and get you thinking straight.

Have you ever been manic? Claiming that breathing and "natural" supplements can treat severe mania is both irresponsible and bizarre. I personally also find it quite offensive if people tell me that breathing can control my (not even necessarily that severe) mental illness. If it did, I wouldn't be on serious medication.

Have you ever been manic? Claiming that breathing and "natural" supplements can treat severe mania is both irresponsible and bizarre. I personally also find it quite offensive if people tell me that breathing can control my (not even necessarily that severe) mental illness. If it did, I wouldn't be on serious medication.

^^I totally agree with you.  I hate when people tell me to "just breathe" ... like how the hell do you do that when you can hardly sit still.  And I know meditation helps some people, so I'm not dragging that in the mud, but when people tell me to do that my mind is the same way as when I'm told to breathe.

^^I totally agree with you. I hate when people tell me to "just breathe" ... like how the hell do you do that when you can hardly sit still. And I know meditation helps some people, so I'm not dragging that in the mud, but when people tell me to do that my mind is the same way as when I'm told to breathe.

It's akin to being told to "calm down" when one is having a panic attack. I once had an ER nurse tell me to "just calm down, ok?" I just about punched her in her throat...I mean...of COURSE! All I had to do was calm down...thank you, oh helpful ER nurse...I hadn't realized that was what I needed to do! Ha!