CrazyBoards.org

Would you even bother?

Starting therapy with a new tdoc that told you in the first session,that he'll be leaving about 8 months from now?

I guess I'm a little reluctant because I can see myself liking him, and then having to go through the inevitably painful separation down the line.I will probably either be mad or sad knowing we can't even be friends when he leaves.

It's like telling all my secrets to a ghost.

It would depend on if you are after long term therapy, or a more brief course. If it were me, I would find someone else. I require long term therapy and it takes a while for me to trust a tdoc enough to have a good therapeutic relationship.

I'd definitely go with looking for someone else. To me, 8 months seems a very short time to get to know and build trust with someone. But as fya13 said, it depends a lot on whether you're looking for brief therapy or something long term.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I am definitely seeking long term therapy so I guess I'm going to have to tell him that next time I see him.

The problem is...it seems like this facility (and probably most facilities) are like revolving door practices.

I guess the answer would be finding a private practice but there are 2 problems with that-

1.I can't afford it

2.None of the profiles I've looked at on the internet seem genuine (what I mean by that is, I don't think these T's know how to help me)

So what is the point?

I guess I just feel defeated

I have gotten help out of several short-term therapy relationships.  Although my long-term therapist has been the most helpful to me because she has really gotten to know me.  I know the frustration of trying to find someone who would accept my insurance.  That's why I have had several short-term therapists. 

I finally decided that it was worth it to me to pay to see my current long-term therapist (who works in private practice) because I needed the relationship to help in my healing process.  She was willing to let me pay a lower rate in order to keep seeing her, but that was after several years of working with her.  I don't know how willing a therapist would be to do that from the start. 

I found my current therapist by calling several therapists who were in network for my insurance who adertised that they dealt with issues I wanted to address, seeing who acutally called me back, and then who I flet good about after our phone conversation.  I would have a hard time finding someone over the internet, but my wife is fond of using the psychology today website to help her choose someone. 

Is it possible to tell the current facility you are working with that you would prefer a long-term therapy relationship?

I would ask if your tdoc knows how to do solution focused brief therapy or depth oriented brief therapy. These are a couple of shorter term approaches to therapy that might work really well with the time frame you have.

I wouldn't feel great about developing a therapeutic relationship with someone I was hoping to see for a long time, knowing they will not be there 8 months later.

However, it might give you the opportunity to "practice saying goodbye" to therapists without "having them break up with you"... if that makes sense. That is to say, knowing that you have a limited time to work together, it might take the issues of "Are you going to leave me/I'm really attracted to you" off the table so that you can focus on other things.

Thanks again guys! It's good to hear that it's actually possible that short term therapy can help in some ways, and Wooster...I think what you said was golden! I do need to learn how to say goodbye.What you said makes perfect sense.

Plus...I do need someone now.I'm really struggling so it would be nice to see someone , and also keep my eyes open for a longer term solution, while getting getting some sort of help in the meantime.