CrazyBoards.org

obsessive, repetitive, stressful thoughts...what to do

My brother is going through a nasty divorce which has brought on major stress.  All I do is think about it day and night.  It is worse at night.  For example, composing emails, conversations, looking for solutions over and over again in my head.

My questions is, what meds will help with this?

My pdoc has suggested adding buspar, adding an antipsychotic, or increasing my Lamictal.  I will be seeing her again tomorrow and wanted to hear from anyone that has experienced these thoughts and what treatments you have pursued.

Thank you!!!

I've found an antipsychotic to be useful for stopping the flow of unpleasant thoughts, though your mileage may vary.  I take Saphris, and Haldol on really bad days.  It doesn't always go completely away, but it reduces it to a dull roar at least, and lessens the severity of the thoughts.  The other thing that helps is Klonopin, a benzodiazepine anti-anxiety drug.  Buspar might have the same effect for you, though its mechanism is different.  Hope you and your doc can find something that will make it better.

Talking to your pdoc and tdoc (if you see one, they're definitely good to have around) about it can help a lot. You sound stressed on top of other things. 

A small dose of an antipsychotic can really help with anxiety. I find seroquel great for that in my experience. However, short term use of benzo's like ativna or clonazepam are more common for anxiety. Short term use is really safe. I can understand if your pdoc doesn't want to prescribe though, they've been given a bad name.

What you need now, and to stress to your pdoc, is something that's going to kick in FAST and kill the symptoms. Upping lamictal could help, but it would take a bit to kick in. What about asking for a PRN - a med you can take when you need?

Try to get in with a tdoc (therapist) and talk through the stress as well. jarn is 100% correct

Thank you all!

So, do you all think it is just stress thinking as opposed to bipolar obsessive thinking?

I think a long-term approach will be best.

I could try the Buspar, but am unsure if it will work for the repetitive thinking.  But, if it is an anxiety type of thinking then maybe that would be the best bet.

I would hate / love to try an anti-psychotic, but it is soooo hard to jump on that bandwagon!  But, I don't want to miss out if it is best.

Either way, it will take time for either to start working.  I will use my Xanax until then.  The decision will have to be made tomorrow!  Ugg!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My brother is going through a nasty divorce which has brought on major stress.  All I do is think about it day and night.  It is worse at night.  For example, composing emails, conversations, looking for solutions over and over again in my head.

My questions is, what meds will help with this?

My pdoc has suggested adding buspar, adding an antipsychotic, or increasing my Lamictal.  I will be seeing her again tomorrow and wanted to hear from anyone that has experienced these thoughts and what treatments you have pursued.

Thank you!!!

I have Bipolar II - I take Lithium 900 mg, Seroquel 300 mg, and the lovely drug that combats my OCD is Effexor 75mg. I think with all of your mood stabliziers you may be deficient in Serotonin.  Best wishes - s

Scarletbp, she is not "all of" her mood stabilizers, she is on two. And lamictal and lithium are known to work particularly well together.

You're on two mood stabilisers yourself, or were you unaware that Seroquel is used as a mood stabilizer?

And trying to pick and choose meds to match-up with neurotransmitters doesn't work. Your brain is a tad more complex than that.