CrazyBoards.org

Animals in The House Driving me Insane

There are 4 animals in my family's house, 4!!!

My sister had a fiance and he got her a dog and a cat. Then, things didn't work out and she moved back home. So, now instead of 2 animals, there are 4 animals in the house, on top of 10 horses in the barn. 

My mom has a puppy and my sister's dog is 2. My mom's puppy gets excited and pees on the floor. Now, the puppy has discovered the wonders of getting food off the counters. The puppy backs off when yelled at.

My sister's dog is aggressive and will bite strangers. The dog barks excessively. The dog also gets on the counters and will not stop unless you physically pull it away. When the dog barks, I put headphones on and blast the sound to the point that my ears hurt just to drown out the barking.

Then, my sister's cat is annoying as hell. 

When one animal is all set with care, another animal needs something. It NEVER ends. I used to have two friends over for Halloween, but nope, not going to happen, not with an aggressive beast and the other critters. It is too much. I am about to go apeshit. I am so angry and irritated. 2 animals would be ok, but 4 is over the line. I have been trying so, so very hard to hold my anger in, but it is getting to the point where I am snapping over the simplest things. I have to keep myself away from the animals as much as I can so that I don't lose it. I hate having to cage myself in my bedroom just because an animal is roaming the house, but I have to, for my sake and the sake of the animal. I need to get out of this house. I would rather live on the streets at this point. I am getting close to exploding( my pdoc is very worried about it). 

I don't know what to do to take this anger down. I am ok with the animals for a while and then I have to separate myself. I sometimes enjoy taking the puppy for a walk or petting her a little, but that's about it. Every time I think about having 4 animals in the house, I get extremely angry because things never end, example: one dog pees on the floor, 2 seconds later the other dog gets food off the counter, etc. Every time I arrive home, I dread it all. I can no longer enjoy returning home. Home is now hell. I feel like punching glass. I feel like the hulk. I have worse feelings than that too.  

Do any of you have a problem like this? Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but in small doses. Please know that I am really trying hard to not be so angry. Should I leave my home? What can I do for my anger? I want it to go down. 

Edited by InfiniteInsanity

I love animals and my cats have always owned me rather than the other way around.

However, I think that perhaps your families pets are suffering from a small case of lack of discipline. Cats are harder and generally do their own thing (what is the cat doing exactly that's annoying as hell? I might have some tips). And yes, sometimes you can have too many (I have never had more than 2 at a time, except for when I had 3 but one was a turtle and did it's own thing). You can also sometimes just have a bad combination. I assume there are 2 cats with the 2 dogs?

I don't have a lot of experience with dogs, I would not however be very happy about dogs jumping on the counters and peeing on the floor. Can you maybe talk to your sister and your Mum about toilet training and obedience lessons or at least them taking some time to sort those issues out? Maybe the puppy might at least benefit from some puppy pads on the floor to use, rather than just peeing everywhere. I get that pee sometimes happens but toilet training properly can go a long way towards fixing frustrations.

I understand you're frustrated but it really is not the fault of any of the animals. You have to train animals for them to be well behaved, you have to set expectations and be extremely consistent. How confused that dog must be, getting yelled at for something it sees the other dog do. If everyone in the house isn't onboard with a training plan where you use the same words and hand signals to communicate with your dogs then it will probably remain chaotic. If you have the resources even a few sessions with trainer will give you a place to start. It's really hard, especially once undesirable behaviors are established.

If your anger is to the point where you think you might hurt one of the animals (not saying it is, just inferring from you saying that you feel like the hulk and have worse feelings than that as well) please find a way to remove yourself from the situation, for your sake as well as the animals.

i have and have had similar issues. like previously mentioned, it is obviously not the animals' fault. they were brought into your home and they're dependent on you and the people that live with you and behavioural issues should never be blamed on them and they should never be punished, yelled at, or harmed for their mistakes. they do not know better. it's up to their owners to teach them how they would like them to behave.

with that said, i totally understand your frustration. my family has had dogs since i was very little and each has had massive behavioural problems. my household has always had multiple people living in it and been an environment that is chaotic and stressful. every person in my family has anxiety and other issues and there's a lot of fighting and aggression. therefore - all the dogs we've had were plagued with panic attacks and general anxiety issues. they've all also been excessively aggressive.

besides that - they do normal nuisance-y dog things - like barking excessively at small noises and at people entering the house - terrorizing delivery workers and neighbours. ripping things apart and chewing up stuff they shouldn't be. digging. being possessive over certain items and people etc.

we currently have two dogs. they add a lot of stress to the house and there are several things specific to dogs that trigger my OCD in a major way. one dog humps everything and anything - the other sheds an insane amount. both of these things can send me into OCD spirals and cause panic attacks and they cause general day-to-day anxiety - as does the barking and aggression and everything else.

the dog that humps everything also chews and eats everything. like everything. not even a sock can be left out in the open (not even a kleenex can be left on a table - he'll find a way to get on the table) otherwise he'll rip it up and swallow it and end up vomiting excessively or with severe constipation so that he has to be brought to the vet. he also becomes extremely aggressive over stuff like that - he has bitten three of my family members to the point of breaking skin/bleeding. he has to be kept in one part of the house because there's too much territory to worry about otherwise. he also doesn't get along with the other dog - he wants to hump her and this irritates her - and sometimes he'll just lunge for her as she's walking through a room for no reason. he whines in the night and wakes me from my sleep (and my mother will wake me up to go see what he wants if he doesn't wake me). usually he just wants attention.

i don't hate them. they're innocent animals. but living with them is hellish and i feel guilty a lot of the time because i know it's not their fault. it's mine. it's my family's. one of the major issues is a lack of consistency - despite this long history of the same - my family members cannot organize enough to train them in a certain way. my father is particularly bad at that. he just doesn't care and doesn't want to be bothered. we have had trainers come in - which was a waste of money because it didn't last. mostly because we were not collectively persistent enough. also because the habits have been there for so long it's harder than training new puppies on their own.

so i totally understand your frustration. it can be so hard. i don't know what kind of family dynamic you have but if you're able to open up a dialogue about the dogs' training then that would be great. then the key is persistence.

there are points where i've been driven into 24/7 anxiety and on the verge of ripping my hair out all the time. basically i just try to treat them as best as i can and cope. i'm not mentally stable enough to be able to maintain a full-time job and support myself and my own apartment so i don't really have any other option. other than that - the only advice i have is to walk away when you find yourself getting that angry. devote time to yourself. take deep breaths.

Edited by cosima

Thank you for the kind replies. I know it is a tough topic, being angry in general and at animals. My family has 2 dogs, 2 cats. 

The puppy I have trained myself mostly. She was behaving mostly well, until today, when she discovered the table. The puppy is 7 months old and she gets super excited to see people and she pees. She only pees a big puddle in the house once in a while. She actually behaves fairly well most of the time, with the occasional misbehavior of getting into the bathroom garbage or chewing a towel. I give dogs tough love, for example, cute begging eyes do not work on me, but if the dog goes away while I eat, then I give the dog a piece of food a few minutes after I am done eating. If I had this one dog only, things wouldn't be nearly as bad. 

On the other hand, my sister's dog - my sister never socialized her dog. She barely trained her dog. Her dog is an Aussie, the highest energy and my sister gives her no exercise, which is bad. My sister should not have a dog. My sister's dog instigates. It would be good if my sister did the right thing and trained/ took better care of her dog.  

What I will do is see about consulting the vet and a trainer about the excited peeing issue for the puppy. No matter how calm I keep her, she still pees. Currently, she has had diarrhea, which is not her fault, but frustrating to clean, so, she will go to the vet tomorrow. At the vet, I will address the pee issue too. My family always keeps up on the health of the animals. 

As for my sister's dog, I am going to talk to my mom about pushing my sister to hire a professional to come help with the Aussie. If her dog could be safe out in public, I could give the dog exercise, but currently, the dog would scare people far away. 

My sister's cat is scratching the furniture despite having a scratching post. The cat jumps up on the table and sleeps on it. None of the critters are allowed on the table. Then, the cat is so desperate for attention that sometimes when I open my bedroom door, he comes barreling in and then when I try to take a nap, he puts his semi- deflated balls(he was fixed, but he still looks like he has the parts) in my face and lays on me. Then, I have to wash my face. The cat will jump on my shelves no matter how crowded they are. I have a cactus on my desk and I don't want the cat to get hurt, so, I have to keep taking him off the desk.

Indeed, I would never hurt an animal. I would hurt myself before hurting anything else. Seeing animal abuse makes me sick. I make sure to take myself away from the animals when I need to.   

i have and have had similar issues. like previously mentioned, it is obviously not the animals' fault. they were brought into your home and they're dependent on you and the people that live with you and behavioural issues should never be blamed on them and they should never be punished, yelled at, or harmed for their mistakes. they do not know better. it's up to their owners to teach them how they would like them to behave.

with that said, i totally understand your frustration. my family has had dogs since i was very little and each has had massive behavioural problems. my household has always had multiple people living in it and been an environment that is chaotic and stressful. every person in my family has anxiety and other issues and there's a lot of fighting and aggression. therefore - all the dogs we've had were plagued with panic attacks and general anxiety issues. they've all also been excessively aggressive.

besides that - they do normal nuisance-y dog things - like barking excessively at small noises and at people entering the house - terrorizing delivery workers and neighbours. ripping things apart and chewing up stuff they shouldn't be. digging. being possessive over certain items and people etc.

we currently have two dogs. they add a lot of stress to the house and there are several things specific to dogs that trigger my OCD in a major way. one dog humps everything and anything - the other sheds an insane amount. both of these things can send me into OCD spirals and cause panic attacks and they cause general day-to-day anxiety - as does the barking and aggression and everything else.

the dog that humps everything also chews and eats everything. like everything. not even a sock can be left out in the open (not even a kleenex can be left on a table - he'll find a way to get on the table) otherwise he'll rip it up and swallow it and end up vomiting excessively or with severe constipation so that he has to be brought to the vet. he also becomes extremely aggressive over stuff like that - he has bitten three of my family members to the point of breaking skin/bleeding. he has to be kept in one part of the house because there's too much territory to worry about otherwise. he also doesn't get along with the other dog - he wants to hump her and this irritates her - and sometimes he'll just lunge for her as she's walking through a room for no reason. he whines in the night and wakes me from my sleep (and my mother will wake me up to go see what he wants if he doesn't wake me). usually he just wants attention.

i don't hate them. they're innocent animals. but living with them is hellish and i feel guilty a lot of the time because i know it's not their fault. it's mine. it's my family's. one of the major issues is a lack of consistency - despite this long history of the same - my family members cannot organize enough to train them in a certain way. my father is particularly bad at that. he just doesn't care and doesn't want to be bothered. we have had trainers come in - which was a waste of money because it didn't last. mostly because we were not collectively persistent enough. also because the habits have been there for so long it's harder than training new puppies on their own.

so i totally understand your frustration. it can be so hard. i don't know what kind of family dynamic you have but if you're able to open up a dialogue about the dogs' training then that would be great. then the key is persistence.

there are points where i've been driven into 24/7 anxiety and on the verge of ripping my hair out all the time. basically i just try to treat them as best as i can and cope. i'm not mentally stable enough to be able to maintain a full-time job and support myself and my own apartment so i don't really have any other option. other than that - the only advice i have is to walk away when you find yourself getting that angry. devote time to yourself. take deep breaths.

For the dog that whines at night, have you tried a radio on at a low volume? I set that up for the puppy and it worked like a charm. The low soothing voice was reassuring to the puppy. It might be worth a try. 

I think talking to your Mum about your sister taking responsibility for her dog is a good idea. Perhaps if she cannot and nobody else is able the dog needs to find a home where it can get the exercise and attention it needs to thrive and be happy (not saying it's your job, it's your sisters but if she isn't able...maybe just something to keep in mind or talk to your Mum about).

The cats on things I get. My current cat climbs on EVERYTHING and knocks everything off onto the floor. It drives me crazy at times. Lucky I love him so much.

Balls on the face....well.....gross. Perhaps try to shift him to a better position when you see it coming (if you do, I know from experience that sometimes a butthole or something in the face is unavoidable. Keeping a spray bottle of water and spraying him while making a loud psst sound will deter him from climbing on the shelves you don't want him to. Although I admit, since getting my current cat, I have given up and just taken everything OFF the shelves. They now belong to him.

Good luck at the vet! I hope you can at least get some of the issues sorted. It sounds quite overwhelming at your house.

Thank you. ^^ The dog will go to the vet on wednesday. They said for now to try a bland food diet. So far, it has been going ok. I hope it continues to. 

For now, I have just been staying away from the critters and that is helping my anger to go down a bit in regards to that. I think that avoiding is the best coping mechanism for now. That way, things can stay reasonable. 

I got a spray bottle for the cat to keep him away from my plants. He keeps trying to eat my Aloe plant.