CrazyBoards.org

leg jiggling (make it stop!)

So since sometime last Spring, I've been jiggling my leg up and down.  It's almost constant if I'm sitting in a chair, less so if I'm laying down.  I'm not sure if this is because of the BP, or the OCD or the GAD, though I suppose maybe it could be the ADD?  It would just be nice to figure out what's causing it so I can address it, because it's annoying.  My pdoc wasn't much help: he just noted that I was doing it.  I'm trying to figure out what purpose it's serving, as well.  Is this some kind of soothing behavior, or just a release of extra energy?  Anyway, mostly just wondering if anyone else has this problem, and why, and what they did about it.

I've always had a problem like this, my gran said it's called restless leg syndrome. However, there are some medications that just make it out of control and also sometimes when I'm manic I just literally can't keep my legs still, it's more uncomfortable to keep them still than to move them about. Sometimes it seems anxiety related.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really know what it is but I get what you're talking about. Mine was helped considerably when my doctor started me on depakote but has now returned slightly after adding buspirone.

Could it be EPS from meds?  

I'm thinking not, because this is a habit I've had even before I started taking meds.  I think it does increase with general energy/anxiety levels because I can think of stressful times in the past that have triggered this behavior.  I'm just not sure what's causing it this time.

I've done this most of my life. My ADHD meds make it stop, so I think it happens to be part of ADD/ADHD. Otherwise I shake stuff off tables if I'm not paying attention. 

That makes sense to me: now it's stopped, and I'm thinking it's because of the Ritalin I took this morning. It's the only thing I take in the morning that would affect my energy or anxiety levels.  I guess that answers my question!  It also tells me that 20mg is better than 10mg (I had permission to go up).

I do this all the time.  Sometimes it's related to agitation, but I also think I'm just a fidgeter by nature.  My gf notices it when it's happening and asks me if I'm okay, but most of the time I'm fine and it just feels nice to fidget.  I've also noticed different kinds of fidgeting that I do and some are okay, some are not -- leg shaking is usually fine, but hand wringing or head jerking mean something's wrong.

From what I've read, fidgeting doesn't *have* to be related to some kind of problem, but if it's causing you distress, then it could be worth asking a doc about.  

I do it when I am anxious or want things to go faster than they are.  I might not feel the anxiety at that moment, but eventually come to realize that is what it was from.  Also I am very impatient, so when my mind is working fast and things outside of my mind aren't keeping up, I'll bounce my leg up and down.

I do this too. It irritates people around me to no end. I get death stares sometimes because I shake my leg when I'm sitting. I don't remember when I started doing it but my pdoc told me it was a side effect of my medication. I think it's because I have too much energy and I need to get rid of it somehow. Who knows? The only way I can stop it is if I concentrate and when I lose focus, it starts up again. Anyone have any luck coming up with a more realistic solution? I can't only focus on not shaking my leg, I won't be able to get anything done!

My pdoc saw my fidgeting and leg jiggling and said I have akathasia. I'll be damned. He upped my Artane to 5mg twice a day, and it's really helped.

Legs can jiggle for a lot of reasons. It's annoying!

My pdoc saw my fidgeting and leg jiggling and said I have akathasia. I'll be damned. He upped my Artane to 5mg twice a day, and it's really helped.

Legs can jiggle for a lot of reasons. It's annoying!

But isn't akathasia supposed to be painful? it doesn't hurt me at all. I'll even do it when I have a sprained calf and it doesn't hurt any worse. 

I can't swear to the broader question, but akathasia didn't hurt me. I've only really had it once, and part of it was I couldn't sleep for three days. My pnurse was pretty sure it was mild akathasia that passed (as do most side effects). Of course, that is conjecture, we talked on the phone, not in person. But if it was true, I had no pain.

Does any one else have pain?